Parmesan Herb Roasted Acorn Squash is a simple and elegant side dish for any menu, holiday or not. Acorn squash is sliced and tossed in butter, olive oil, herbs and spices before being roasted and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Yields 8 servings in about 30 minutes.
I bought new knives! I know, kind of random way to start a post of but OH MY GOSH it’s the most exciting thing that has happened to me in a while. Which, now that I think about it, is pretty sad. BUT I have new knives!!! It’s probably been 8 years since I bought new ones. Actually, Pat bought me a set for Christmas right around when I first started this blog – so maybe it’s more like 10 years?
Back then, I only had a chefs knife. That’s it. How I managed, I’ll never know.
Having a really sharp knife or knives makes cutting things, like squash SO much easier. I didn’t realize how dull my old knives were until I got new ones. They sliced through these acorn squash like it was butter.
Speaking of squash and butter. HELLO beautiful side dish! I love love love acorn squash. Especially roasted. This recipe combines butter and olive oil, a few dried herbs and spices and is roasted in a hot oven. A little sprinkle of parmesan at the end of the roasting adds delicious salty texture.
To Make This Parmesan Herb Roasted Acorn Squash You Will Need:
- olive oil
- rosemary (dried)
- thyme (dried)
- parsley (dried)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- parmesan cheese
- minced fresh parsley, for garnish and is optional
In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Remove the pan from the heat, measure and add in 3/4 teaspoon crushed rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon each onion and garlic powder, with a pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Whisk to combine.
Trim the stems off 2 acorn squash. Cut in half, scrape out the seed and slice into 1/2-inch thick slices (approximate). Drizzle the herb butter over top and toss to combine.
Lightly spray a large, rimmed metal baking sheet with olive oil and arrange the slices of squash. Roast on the middle rack of your preheated 400° oven for 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through roasting.
Remove the pan after 20 minutes, use tongs to carefully turn each squash slice. We want that beautiful caramelized side facing up because it’s too pretty to hide!
Sprinkle each slice with freshly grated parmesan cheese (see notes in recipe printable) and place back into the oven for 5 minutes.
Remove and top with extra parmesan and minced fresh parsley. Tender and incredibly flavorful and could be any easier.
This recipe is going to look gorgeous on your holiday table!
For more side dish recipes click here.
Parmesan Herb Roasted Acorn Squash
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/5 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 pinches kosher salt, or to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, plus more for serving*
- parsley, minced, for serving
- Lightly spray a large rimmed metal baking sheet with olive oil and preheat your oven to 400°.
- Carefully cut off the stem of each squash. Place the squash side down onto the cutting board. Cut each squash in half and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds.
- Slice each squash half into 1/2-inch (ish) slices and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet. Remove off of the heat and whisk in the oil, herbs and spices with a pinch of kosher salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour this mixture over the sliced squash and toss to coat evenly.
- Arrange all the slices onto the prepared pan. Roast on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 20 minutes, rotate halfway through roasting.
- Use tongs to carefully turn the squash so that the caramelized side is facing up.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve on a platter with a sprinkle of minced fresh parsley and extra parmesan cheese
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!