Parmesan Garlic Corn Au Gratin is essentially sweet corn in a luscious parmesan garlic cream sauce. A simple side dish that is delicious and impressive and goes great with ham or chicken. Serves 10-12+ in under 20 minutes.
Easiest Side Dish Ever!
Looking for a side dish to go with your ham? look no further. You guys, it doesn’t get much easier than this corn au gratin. Not only does it take less than 20 minutes to prepare but it tastes incredible. Sweet corn plus parmesan garlic in luscious cream sauce? Sign. Me. Up.
That golden parm topping is everything.
To Make This Parmesan Garlic Corn Au Gratin You Will Need:
- frozen sweet corn
- heavy whipping cream
- kosher salt
- unsalted butter
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- ground black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
Start by adding 16 ounces of frozen sweet corn to a saucepan.
To that add 2 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
Pour in 1-1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream.
Stir and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 5 minutes, turn off the heat and cover the pan, leaving the pot still on the burner.
Next, make a roux by adding 2 tablespoons butter and 1 large minced clove of garlic to a small skillet. Heat over medium to medium-low until melted. Then cook the garlic for 30 to 60 seconds.
Whisk in 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour.
Whisk until smooth.
Remove the lid from the cream and corn mixture and add in the roux, 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper -or to taste.
Stir until thickened.
Transfer the creamy corn mixture to a small un-greased casserole dish. I believe this one is 10×7 but I could’ve went even smaller, I think.
Move your oven rack to about 3 inches from heating element and preheat your broiler. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan over top.
Slip the casserole under the broiler until the top gets golden in spots.
Feel free to sprinkle a little minced parsley over top for a pop of color.
This side dish couldn’t be any easier nor more delicious. The sweet corn contrasts deliciously with the parmesan and garlic.
Parmesan Garlic Corn Au Gratin
- 16 ounces sweet corn, frozen
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Move an oven rack 4 inches from the heating element of your oven, then preheat your broiler.
- In a large 3 quart saucepan (with lid) add the frozen corn, cream, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then cover the pot and turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, make a roux. In a small sauté pan, add butter and garlic. Heat over medium-low, once the butter has melted, cook the garlic 1 minute. Stirring often.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the roux, 1/4 cup parmesan and lots of ground black pepper to the corn. Stir to combine. It should thicken.
- Transfer the creamy corn to a small oven-safe casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan before slipping it under the broiler for 2 minutes or until golden brown in spots. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from chewoutloud.com.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!