Morning Glory Muffins are wholesome and filled with a lot of nutritious goodness! Great for grabbing breakfast on the go, packing in lunch boxes or enjoying as a sweet treat after dinner. Freezer friendly too! Yields 21 muffins.
I really don’t make muffins enough.
That’s exactly what I was thinking to myself while devouring one of these here gems. Because what is better than a muffin warm from the oven? (besides cookies – obviously) I made these the week before Haileigh went back to college. I froze half and she took them up with her so she could quickly warm them in the microwave and have for breakfast or as a snack.
These whole wheat muffins are filled with shredded apple and carrot, raisins and toasted chopped walnuts and sweetened with maple syrup, brown sugar and mashed banana. A scrumptious muffin you can feel good about.
To Make These Morning Glory Muffins You Will Need:
- paper liners
- nonstick baking spray
- whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- ground cardamom
- kosher salt
- brown sugar
- maple syrup
- (very) ripe banana
- unsweetened apple sauce
- light flavored oil (I use extra light olive oil or grapeseed oil)
- vanilla extract
- orange zest and juice
- apple (or zucchini)
- raisins (or dried cranberries)
- walnuts (or pecans)
- pepitas (or sunflower seeds)
Line a standard muffin tin plus half of a second pan with liners. Lightly spray the inside of the liners with nonstick spray. This will help keep the muffin from overly sticking to the paper.
In a medium mixing bowl, measure and add 2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon both nutmeg and kosher salt.
Whisk to combine and set off to the side.
In a large bowl, crack and add in 3 large eggs then measure and add 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium), 1/3 cup apple sauce, 1/3 cup light flavorless oil, 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon orange zest plus 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice.
Grab the whisk and mix until thoroughly combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until they are partially combined.
Then add in 2 cups shredded carrots, 1 cup grated apple (I used honeycrisp), 1/2 cup both raisins and toasted, chopped walnuts.
Fold those into the batter. Be mindful not to over mix the batter.
Use a scoop to measure out the batter.
Divvy it among each muffin liner, filling them about 2/3 full. I like to sprinkle the tops of each muffin with a few pepitas or sunflower seeds, depending on what I have on hand. Bake on the middle rack of your preheated 375° oven for 18 to 22 minutes.
Or until the tops spring back when gently pressed and a tester comes out clean with only a few crumbs attached.
Wholesome and fill with nutritious goodness. I love these warm from the oven, split in half and generously spread with salted butter – and sometimes a little honey.
Click Here For More Muffin Recipes!
Morning Glory Muffins
FOR THE DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE WET INGREDIENTS:
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup oil, light flavorless oil - like extra light olive oil or grapeseed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 cups carrot (grated)
- 1 cups apple (grated), or sub with zucchini
- 1/2 cup raisins, or sub with dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts (toasted chopped), or sub with pecans
- pepitas or sunflower seeds, for topping the muffins before baking
- Preheat your oven to 375° and line 1 plus 3/4 of another standard muffin tin with paper liners. Lightly spray the inside of the liners with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, measure and add the flour, bakin soda, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and kosher salt. Whisk to combine.
- Next, in a larger mixing bowl, crack and add in the eggs. Then measure and add the dark brown sugar, maple syrup, mashed banana, apple sauce, oil, vanilla extract, orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and use a rubber spatula to gently mix until partially combined.
- Then add in the grated carrot and apple with the raisins and walnuts. Finish mixing until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Use a scoop to divide the batter among the prepared liners, filling them about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with a few pepitas or sunflower seeds.
- Bake on the middle rack of your preheated 375° oven for 18 to 22 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through baking.
- The muffins are done when the tops spring back when gently press and/or a tester comes out clean with only a few crumbs attached.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan slightly before enjoying.
- Serve with salted butter.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!