This Mexican Hot Chocolate is deliciously spiced with cinnamon, ginger, allspice and cayenne. A dollop of cinnamon whipped cream sends it over the top!
We spent the New Year’s Eve with great friends and the first day of the year taking down the tree and packing away Christmas decorations. It’s strange because I always love having the tree up and the cozy lights twinkling. But the moment I have my house back in order I let out a sigh and am secretly (or not so secretly) glad the holidays are over.
After packing away Christmas, Pat built us a toasty fire, my girls were downstairs painting their fingernails, and I plopped down on the couch and we just relaxed. It was great. What would have made it perfect, would be a glass of this Mexican hot chocolate. Preferably spiked with Khalua. This cup-of-cozy is creamy and chocolaty without being overly rich and it is spiced with warm spices like cinnamon, ginger, allspice and a pinch of cayenne.
Instead of the traditional marshmallows I whipped up a homemade cinnamon whipped cream.
A little trick I learned from my mom to make whipped cream quickly, is to chill the bowl and beaters in the freezer for about twenty minutes or so beforehand. The cream will set up and thicken faster this way. It’s not crucial or anything, so if you don’t have the time, you don’t have to.
Pour in a cup of heavy cream.
Then start whipping.
Once the cream starts to thicken, but isn’t completely thick just yet…
…Add in the 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and a half teaspoon of cinnamon.
And a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Now just whip until thick and fluffy.
Cover and keep cold in the fridge until ready to serve.
Now for the cocoa. If you’re not interested in the spiced part, simply omit all of them or some of them. This hot cocoa is still delicious with the cinnamon and cayenne or nothing at all.
Pour a half cup of sugar into a saucepan.
Add in the quarter cup of cocoa to the same pan.
Add in the 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger and a pinch of both allspice and cayenne.
Lastly a couple pinches of salt…
…and a 1/3 cup of warm water.
Bring to a boil and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
Remove off of the heat and pour in two cups of whole milk…
…and two cups of heavy cream.
And the half teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Stir and heat through but do not re-boil.
Finally, serve in mugs with a dollop of the cinnamon whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon.
Creamy, dreamy, warm chocolaty goodness is just what you need to warm up on a cold day.
I really love the spice. It warms the back of my throat and is pretty delicious. My girls prefer it with just cinnamon, but they’re young still. Either way you make it, you can’t go wrong with a mug of Mexican Hot Chocolate. And maybe some of these Mexican hot chocolate toasted pecans too?!
Mexican Spiced Hot Cocoa + Homemade Cinnamon Whipped Cream
FOR THE CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
FOR THE HOT COCOA:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
MAKE THE CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM:
- Chill your bowl and beaters in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Pour a cup of heavy cream into the chilled bowl and beat until it just starts to thicken. Add in the powdered sugar, cinnamon and the vanilla and continue to beat until thick.
- Cover and keep cold in your fridge until ready to use.
MAKE THE MEXICAN HOT COCOA:
- In a medium saucepan add the sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, spices, salt and water. Bring to a boil, whisking until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove off of the heat and add in the whole milk and heavy cream. Whisk and return the pan to your stove and heat through over medium heat. DO NOT re-boil.
- Once hot, pour into mugs and serve with a dollop of cinnamon whipped cream and a dusting of ground cinnamon.
[this post contains affiliate links.]
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!