This holiday season add this Maple Butter Roasted Acorn Squash recipe to your menu! Acorn squash is roasted and basted with real maple syrup and butter until caramelized. Serves 4 but can easily be adjusted for more.
I love roasted squash. In fact, if faced with the choice of maple butter roasted acorn squash or candied yams? I would pick squash every single time. Caramelized and tender enough you can eat it with a spoon is the only way to go. I remember my mom making roasted acorn squash as a kid but I can’t remember if I ate it or not. The memory evades me, but as an adult I love it.
It’s perfect, especially around the holidays because it’s easy and I’ll always grab at the chance for an excuse to dress them up with maple syrup and butter.
The maple and butter bubbles and browns in the cavity of the squash and if that wasn’t indulgent enough, I baste them with this sweet buttery goodness as they roast. The end result is melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness.
To Make this Maple Butter Roasted Acorn Squash You Will Need:
- acorn squash (you’ll want one half per person)
- olive oil spray
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- unsalted butter
- maple syrup
Preheat your oven to 400°. Cut the squash in half (I cut mine horizontally, but it doesn’t matter which way you slice it 😉). Next, set the halves into a roasting pan and then spray the inside of each squash with a little olive oil spray.
Then pour a tablespoon of real maple syrup into each one. Season with a pinch or two of kosher salt, paprika and finely ground black pepper. Drop a tablespoon of butter into each one.
Roast for 20 minutes on the middle rack of your preheated oven. Then remove and, using a pastry brush, brush the maple butter over the flesh of the squash. Return the squash back to the oven to roast for 20 to 30 minutes more or until a fork easily pierces without meeting any resistance.
Finally, brush the maple butter over the flesh one last time before serving.
So tender you can eat them with a spoon. And so delicious it’s basically dessert. *drool*
Maple Butter Roasted Acorn Squash
- 2 small acorn squash
- olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 pinch kosher salt, more or less to taste
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste
- 2 shakes paprika
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Cut the acorn squash in half and spritz generously with olive oil spray. Add 1 tablespoon of real maple syrup into the cavity of each squash. Season with a few pinches of kosher salt, black pepper and paprika. Then place 1 tablespoon of (salted) butter in the center of the squash as well.
- Roast on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through roasting. Once roasted and fork tender, remove the squash and use a pastry brush to brush the maple butter on the exposed flesh of the squash. Return the pan back to the oven and roast for 10 minutes more.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!