Making your own low-fat Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage is embarrassingly simple. Ground turkey plus a few dried herbs and spices are combined and cooked, all in 30 minutes or less!!
Turkey breakfast sausage is my bff.
I eat the same thing everyday Monday through Friday. Hello, peanut butter and honey toast and eggs. And with it, I always have turkey sausage. It’s not only delicious but also a lot leaner than traditional pork breakfast sausage. I always buy a 3-pack at Costco, until recently when I had a lightbulb moment and decided to make my own.
This recipe is SO quick and easy. Lean turkey is mixed with a colorful mix of dried herbs and spices, quickly portioned and formed into patties and cooked until deeply golden. All this is under 30 minutes.
To Make This Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage You Will Need:
- dark brown sugar – Adds flavor and tenderizes the meat the longer it sits. This is optional but does add great flavor.
- kosher salt – Enhances the flavors in this recipe.
- rubbed sage – Gives the sausage a distant earthy, slightly minty and musky flavor.
- freshly ground black pepper – Adds some subtle bite and flavor.
- onion powder – Lends bold oniony flavor.
- crushed red pepper flakes – Gives the sausage that delicious heat. These can lose heat over time, so check and make sure yours hasn’t expired.
- garlic powder – Adds flavor that’s sweeter yet milder than fresh garlic.
- lean ground turkey (93% lean) – Lower in fat without sacrificing flavor.
- olive oil – For browning the turkey sausage patties.
In a bowl, measure and add 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (if using), 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage, 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 3/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
Whisk or stir to combine.
In a mixing bowl, add the ground turkey and the spice mixture.
Stir until combined and be mindful not to over mix.
For 6 sausage patties: measure out 1/4 cup of the ground sausage mixture. For 6 larger patties, measure out 1/3 cup. You can always play with the amounts if you want larger patties. However, keep in mind the serving amounts will of course change.
Can Turkey Sausage Mixture Be Made In Advance?
Yes! You definitely can make the sausage mixture, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Form and shape them by hand. Try to press them thin as they will shrink.
How to make Thin Sausage Patties:
I like to place each portion between two pieces of wax paper and then press flat using either a heavy meat mallet (flat side of a meat tenderizer) or the flat side of a drinking glass. Click here for more detailed and specific directions.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and, working in batches, cook the turkey sausage patties for 3 to 4 minutes per side. If needed, add more oil.
Look at those beauties!
Drain on a paper towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining sausages.
What to Serve with Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage?
- eggs – Scrambled, fried, poached or hard boiled, frittatas, omelets etc.
- pancakes – Pick your favorite!
- french toast – So many to choose from
- breakfast casseroles – Everything from sweet to savory.
- egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches – Great for meal prepping and freezing!
Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage (Low Fat)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra light
- 1 pound ground turkey, 93% lean
- In a small bowl, measure and add the brown sugar, salt, sage, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, add the ground turkey and seasonings. Mix until combined.
- For 8 patties use a 1/4 cup measure to divide the meat mixture. Use 1/3 cup for 6 larger portions. Shape into patties. For thinner patties, press each portion between two pieces of wax paper using a heavy meat mallet or flat side of a drinking glass.
- Heat a large skillet on meidum high. Add 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of olive oil and working in batches, cook the sausage patties for 3 to 4 minutes a side or until fully cooked and golden brown. Adding more oil as needed.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate before serving.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!