Skip store-bought cake mix and make your own Homemade Funfetti Cake Mix yourself! Just a few ingredients is all you need to throw this together in no time whatsoever! Use it right away or make it in advance and stored in your refrigerator until your ready to bake. Homemade Funfetti Cake is at your fingertips!
who doesn’t love funfetti cake?
Add this homemade funfetti cake mix to your recipe box because it’s the best when celebrating a birthday, favorite holiday or just because it’s Friday and you’re in the mood for a homemade funfetti cake?
Funfetti (the word just doesn’t get old) cake is a vanilla white cake that is studded with colorful sprinkles. The best sprinkles to use for this is the sprinkles that resemble small, thin strands also known as “jimmies”. The more colors the better! And to keep things festive around the holidays, you can use red and green for Christmas. Red, white and blue for the Fourth of July and orange and black for Halloween. You get the idea.
To Make This Homemade Funfetti Cake Mix You Will Need:
- unbleached cake flour
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter
Start by whisking the 3 cups of cake flour with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, until the dry ingredients are light and airy.
Next add in 1 and 1/2 cups sugar and whisk to incorporate.
Once your dry ingredients are thoroughly combined, drop in 1-1/2 sticks (or 3/4 cup) of softened unsalted butter.
Use a pastry cutter (or a couple of knives or a fork will do) and cut the butter into the flour.
Keep going until the butter is in very small pieces, nearly undetectable in the dry ingredients.
Use it immediately to make a homemade funfetti cake or cover tightly and refrigerate until the mood for cake strikes!
As a side note, you’ll want to keep the sprinkles out of the mix until you’re ready to make the cake. I do this because you don’t want to take the chance of the color leaking from the sprinkles as you mix in the wet ingredients. I know, I know. Yes this really is homemade funfetti cake mix without the sprinkles mixed in. You could always remeasure 1/2 cup of them and store in a resealable baggie, storing in your pantry.
Give Homemade Cake Mix As A Gift:
If you want to give homemade chocolate cake mix as a gift, omit the butter and store all the dry ingredients in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Write out the remaining ingredients (include the butter!) and then recipe instructions (start by creaming the butter, vanilla, eggs and adding the dry ingredients, water, oil etc.) out onto a note card and tie it around the jar with string.
Make The Cake:
The recipe for making the cake is below, however if you want to see a step-by-step for the cake and frosting, click here!
Other Homemade Cake Mixes:
Homemade Funfetti Cake Mix
- 3 cups unbleached cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Then use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Blend until the butter is in very small pieces.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Homemade Funfetti Cake
- butter, for pan
- flour, for pan
- 1 recipe homemade funfetti cake mix
- 4 large egg whites
- 1¼ cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup colorful sprinkles, slender long sprinkles
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting or frosting of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour a 9x13x2 metal baking pan or 2 (9-inch) round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Add the funfetti mix to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- In a 4-cup measuring cup, whisk the egg whites, milk and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low-speed, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix until just combined.
- Add sprinkles and gently fold them in with a rubber spatula
- Pour cake batter into the prepared pan and bake on the middle rack of you preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes (20 to 25 minutes for for two 9-inch pans or 17 to 20 minutes cupcakes) or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before running a dull knife around the edge of the cake in pan to release.
- Invert the cake onto a wire rack, remove parchement and cool completely. Once cooled, invert it back into the cake pan and frost with vanilla buttercream or frosting of your choice.
- Top with sprinkles before cutting and serving.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!