This Homemade Berry Crisp recipe is beyond delicious. Fresh berries are tossed with sugar and topped with an amazing oatmeal crumb topping. Baked until bubbly and served with vanilla ice cream. The perfect summertime dessert. Serves 6 to 8.
This berry crumble is ridiculously easy and a family favorite.
My sister Julie brought this to a small family dinner and it was gone by the time we left. Did I mention there was only 5 of us? Yeah. It is that good.
Summer is great for many obvious reason, but I especially love this time of year because so many fruits and veggies are in season. Currently berries are popping and if you’re lucky to live near a berry patch you can pick your own! Either way, this homemade berry crisp is a delicious way to show off your in season berries.
Although if I’m being honest, I’m not sure what I love more … the berries or the buttery crisp oatmeal topping. Or the scoop of vanilla ice cream that melts into it as you eat.
To Make This Homemade Berry Crisp Recipe You Will Need:
- granulated sugar
- kosher salt
- old fashioned rolled oats
- light brown sugar
- cold unsalted butter
- vanilla ice cream for serving
Remove the hull from 1 pound of strawberries and rinse well. Drain add the strawberries to a large bowl. Repeat with rinsing the blueberries and raspberries.
Adding the blueberries and raspberries to the same bowl with the strawberries.
Next measure and add in 1/3 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
Gently toss the berries until combined.
Tip the strawberries into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Mine is a 11×7 but an 8×8 or any other 2 quart baking dish can also be used.
Set this off to the side.
In a separate mixing bowl, measure and add 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and cardamom. Stir to combine.
Drop in 6 tablespoons cold butter and use a pastry blender to cut it into the dry ingredients.
Stop once the mixture is crumbly.
Sprinkle the oat crisp topping over the strawberries.
Place the baking dish on a sheet pan to catch any drips while baking.
Bake on the middle rack of your preheated 375° oven for 40 minutes. Rotate the pan 180° halfway through baking to ensure even browning.
Let the berry crisp rest for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Scoop the berry crumble into bowls while it’s still warm.
Top with vanilla ice cream and watch the cascade of deliciousness. I like mine with a sprinkle of lavender. It adds a floral note that really works with the fresh berries.
Homemade Berry Crisp Recipe
FOR THE BERRIES:
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 6 ounces blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces raspberries, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE OATMEAL CRISP TOPPING:
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, NOT quick cooking
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- vanilla ice cream, sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- dried lavender, culinary, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375° and grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine berries, cornstarch, sugar and salt. Gently toss to combine and tip into prepared pan. Spread evenly with a spatula. Set off to the side.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, cardamom and kosher salt. Drop in the cold butter and using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
- Sprinkle oat topping over the fruit.
- Place the baking dish onto a rimmed metal baking sheet and bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 40 mintues. Rotate halfway through to ensure even browning.
- Once baked, remove and let cool for 15 to 20 mintues.
- Scoop berry crisp into bowls and top with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!