Grilled Marinated Steak Kebabs cubes of steak, peppers and onion marinate in a simple homemade marinade, skewered and grilled to perfection. Serve with rice, corn on the cob or a green salad and grilled bread. This recipe will serve 6 with 2 skewers per person.
There’s something to love about grilled food on your own little convenient skewer.
I think we all can agree that pre-cut bites of meat and vegetables on a skewer is universally loved. And these Grilled Marinated Steak Kebabs definitely don’t disappoint.
Two key things to ensure delicious and flavorful steak kebabs is purchasing a good quality steak and making a homemade marinade. Whatever you do, don’t be fooled by those perfect little cubes of beef labeled “stew meat” those you will need to cook for several hours before they even start to get tender. When grilling steak kebabs, ribeye is best but sirloin can also be used. Both can be pretty lean, usually on the less expensive side and cube up easily.
The rest of the magic happens in the homemade marinade.
To Make These Grilled Marinated Steak Kebabs You Will Need:
- ribeye steaks – A tender cuts of beef that’s great for grilling. If in a pinch, use sirloin.
- bell peppers – Any color is fine to use.
- red onion – These become both sweet and savory when they are given some time to cook and caramelize on the grill.
- fresh garlic – This adds distinct and punchy flavor to the marinade.
- steak seasoning – The perfect shortcut to use because of the combination of different dried spices.
- dijon mustard – The vinegar in this works as a tenderizer, which is great for tougher cuts, and also gives the meat a nice tanginess.
- worcestershire sauce– This also has vinegar to help tenderize the meat, sugar for a touch of sweetness and savory flavors like onion and garlic.
- lemon juice – Breaks down the connective tissues in beef yielding a more tender and less tough to chew.
- tamari – This helps the emphasize the flavor of the steak.
- olive oil – Adds flavor to the meat and helps to prevent it from drying out as it cooks.
First, in a medium bowl, start by finely mincing or grating up 4 cloves of fresh garlic. Measure and add 1 tablespoon steak seasoning, 2 tablespoons dijon mustard, 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari 0r low-sodium soy sauce, 2-1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil.
Keep whisking until every ingredient is incorporated.
In a large mixing bowl, add 3 chopped bell peppers and 1 large chopped red onion.
Next, add the cubed steak to the same bowl along with all of the marinade.
Toss it all together until nicely coated and let everything sit and marinate for about 30 minutes to bring the beef up to room temperature.
Then preheat your grill to medium-high (about 550-600°). While waiting, skewer the meat alternating with a little pepper and onion. I usually do about 4 to 5 pieces of steak per skewer, ending with about 12 skewers total.
Once your grill has preheated and is screaming hot, place the skewers onto the hot grate, cover and immediately reduce the temp to medium-medium/high.
Then turn every few minutes until the steak has a crispy char on the outside and I like mine medium on the inside or roughly about 8-10 minutes. Sorry I really don’t keep track of time. I tend to just eyeball it.
Once cooked, pull them off the grill to cool for a sec. Any leftover vegetables that didn’t make it to skewers can always be added (first drain from the marinade) to a preheated grill pan and cooked for a few minutes.
Finally, dig in. Seriously I could make a meal out of these grilled marinated steak kebabs all by themselves. However, feel free to serve them with your favorite side dish like; grilled corn, rice or couscous. Or slide them off of the skewer and into a soft tortilla.
No matter what way you serve these, dinner will be delicious!
How To Reheat Marinated Steak Kebabs:
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, simply reheat on 50% power for 35-45 second intervals until warm. or eat straight out of the container.
You won’t believe your taste buds.
Grilled Marinated Steak Kebabs
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2½ tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
FOR THE KEBABS:
- 2 pounds sirloin steaks, or ribeye steak, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into chunks
- green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 large red onion, cut into cubes
- MASTER COOK Kabob Skewers Set 12 Flat Stainless Steel Reusable BBQ Skewers
- In a large bowl combine the garlic, steak seasoning, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, tamari and olive oil. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Place the peppers, onions and cubed sirloin into the marinade and toss to coat. Allow the beef to marinate on the countertop for 15 to 20 mintues.
- While your grill is preheating to medium-high (550-600°). Skewer the steak, alternating with the peppers and onion until all of the steak is skewered. Any remaining peppers and onions can be added to a hot grill pan later on while the steak kebabs rest.
- Once your grill is hot, place the skewers down and immediately reduce the temperature to medium (400°) and continue to cook, turning occasionally, until there's a nice grill marks on the outside.
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving. This is when I would place the grill pan on top of the hot grates. Once hot, use tongs to add the vegetables, leaving the marinade in the bowl.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!