In this. recipe for Grilled Baby Bok Choy recipe, fresh baby bok choy gets grilled and drizzled with a super easy ginger chili sauce. Serve as a light and healthy side to grilled chicken, beef or seafood. Yields 3 to 6 servings.
Even as a picky kid, when it comes to Chinese food, I’d always eat my veggies.
Bamboo shoots, broccoli and of course, bok choy . Perhaps it was because the vegetable flavor was masked being in a sweet or rich flavorful sauce. Who really knows? But one thing I do know is that I’ve loved bok choy since forever.
Grilling bok choy is an easy and healthy way to get it onto my plate with little time, effort and ingredients. Simply cut in half, lightly spray with a little olive oil and grill for a few minutes until it’s leaves are crispy and slightly charred (you all know how I feel about this!) and the stalks are tender. Once grilled, I like to drizzle these grilled gems with an even easier spicy ginger chili sauce. It’s only 3 ingredients and pretty darn delicious.
To Make This Grilled Baby Bok Choy Recipe You Will Need:
- baby bok choy – A small type of Chinese cabbage.
- olive oil spray – This will help keep the bok choy from sticking to the grill.
- black pepper – Adds some subtle bite and flavor.
- fresh ginger – Lends a pungent, spicy and sweet flavor.
- sambal oelek – A spicy chili paste that adds delicious heat.
- soy sauce – Lends a salty, sweet and savory (umami) flavor.
In a small bowl measure 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce (or low-sodium tamari for gluten free), 1 tablespoon grated ginger paste and 1/2 teaspoon chili paste (sambal oelek). Stir to combine and scoot off to the side.
Cut each of the baby bok choy in half and rinse under running water to clean away any dirt. Place them cut-side down on a clean kitchen towel to drain and then gently pat dry.
Oncer most of the water has been absorbed, mist with olive oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. You won’t need any salt because the sauce is salty enough from the added soy sauce.
Preheat one side of your grill to medium-high heat and the other half leave off. Once preheated I placed the choy, cut-side down on the hottest side of my grill and grilled the bok choy for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
Flip and repeat. I then transferred them to the cooler part of the grill, cover and continued to cook them until tender. About 3 to 4 minutes depending.
Use tongs to remove the grilled bok choy to a platter and spoon the ginger chili sauce over top.
It’s really that easy.
Not only is this grilled baby bok choy a quick and simple side dish, but it’s also darn tasty and healthy too. That ginger chili sauce is SO good and a smidgen spicy. I may or may not have used my finger to swipe the bowl clean. I am not ashamed.
Grilled Baby Bok Choy with Ginger Chili Sauce
- 3 baby bok choy, halved
- olive oil spray
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, or tamari if gluten free
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste, sambal oelek
- Cut the baby bok choy in half lengthwise and rinse the bok choy under the faucet to clean. Gently shake out the excess water and place cut-side down on a clean kitchen towel to drain and gently pat dry.
- Spray the cut side with olive oil spray and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- In a small bowl combine ginger, chili paste and soy sacue (or tamari). Stir to combine.
- Preheat one side of your grill to medium-high heat and leave the other side off. Once preheated place the baby bok choy, cut-side facing down, onto the hot side of the grill.
- Grill for 45 seconds to 1 minute before turning and continuing to grill for another 45 seconds. Transfer the grilled bok choy to the cooler side of the grill, cover to continue cooking until the stalks are tender but still have some crispness to them.
- Keep an eye on them and adjust the heat to avoid burning the leaves.
- Use tongs to transfer the grilled baby bok choy to platter and drizzle with the ginger chili sauce over top.
- Serve immediately.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!