In this Greek Couscous Salad, cooked pearled (Israeli) couscous, fresh cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, greek olives, crumbled feta cheese, pepperoncini and chickpeas are tossed with lemon juice, fresh dill and olive oil. A simple healthy and delicious salad that’s great for a small crowd or meal-prepping for the week. Yields 7 cups and yields 7 (1-cup) servings.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this salad. Besides being visually stunning, this pasta salad is also light, healthy and loaded with incredible flavor and wholesome, simple ingredients. You can make it and serve it as a side dish but I like to add diced grilled chicken and eat it throughout the week for lunch.
So simple. So delicious.
To Make This Greek Couscous Salad You Will Need:
- pearled (Israeli) couscous – A type of pasta made of semolina flour and water.
- chickpeas – For additional protein and fiber!
- cherry tomatoes – Or substitute with grape tomatoes.
- Persian cucumbers – Adds cool, crisp and refreshing flavor.
- red onion – Consider soaking onions in ice water to remove a lot of the bite. You still get onion flavor but it mellows out considerably
- greek olives (pitted) – Adds distinct briny flavor.
- pepperoncini – Purchase pre-sliced pepperoncini for less prep work
- feta cheese – Freshly crumbled is best as it’s not coated in anti-caking ingredients.
- olive oil – Lends fat and flavor.
- lemon juice – Adds bright and fresh citrus flavor and acidity.
- fresh dill – Lends a sweet and grassy with notes of celery and parsley.
- garlic powder – Adds flavor that’s sweeter yet milder than fresh garlic.
- freshly ground black pepper – Adds some subtle bite and flavor.
- kosher salt – Enhances the flavors of the salad.
- Swap: Instead of garlic powder and a small spoonful or 2 of toum (Lebanese garlic sauce).
- Make it Creamy: Add a spoonful or 2 of plain nonfat greek yogurt or tzatziki.
- Add Crunch: Toss in toasted and crushed pita bread or pita chips.
- Protein: Add chopped grilled greek chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken!
For this you will need 1 cup pearled Israeli couscous which equals to 3 cups once cooked.
Prepare the couscous following the package directions. Transfer the couscous to a fine mesh colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and cool down the couscous. Drain well and transfer the cooked couscous to a large mixing bowl.
While the couscous cooks, prep the veggies.
To the bowl with the couscous, add in a 15-ounce can of (rinsed and then drained) chickpeas, 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes, 1-1/2 cups (halved and sliced) Persian cucumbers, 1/2 cup finely diced red onion, 1/2 cup halved pitted greek olives, 1/3 cup sliced pepperoncini, 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill and 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
Season with lots of freshly ground black pepper.
Toss to combine.
Taste and season with salt as desired.
Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
I like to top this salad with a little extra feta and chopped fresh dill when serving.
Greek Couscous Salad
- 1 cup pearled (Israeli) couscous, uncooked
- 14 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1½ cups persian cucumbers, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted greek olives, halved
- 1/3 cup pepperoncini, sliced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt, to taste
- Prepare the couscous following the package directions. Transfer the couscous to a fine mesh colander or strainer and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and cool down the couscous. Drain and transfer the (cold) cooked couscous to a large mixing bowl.
- Mean while prep all of the salad ingredients.
- To the bowl with the couscous, add in the chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, olives, pepperoncini, feta cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, dill and garlic powder. Season with lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Toss to combine. Taste and season with kosher salt as desired.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. I like to top this salad with a little extra feta and chopped fresh dill when serving.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!