Calling all lemon lovers! 💛 Glazed Lemon Cake is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. This sunny lemony cake is topped with a simple lemon glaze for the ultimate lemony treat!
Nothing works better than bribing your teenage daughter with the promise of Starbucks.
That’s my go-to leverage tool when I ask Malloree if she’ll run to the grocery store with me. She’s my shopping bud, and most of the time will come without me having to dangle the proverbial carrot in front of her face. However on the days when I can see she’s hesitant, an iced caramel macchiato with caramel in the cup is on the table.
If you’ve ever stepped foot into a Starbucks, you’re most likely aware of the thick slices of glazed lemon loaf. If you’re not familiar, I’ll break it down for you. Think 1-inch slices of a super moist and lemony cake with the thickest layer of frosting ever.
I’ve loved this cake for years, therefore I made my own version of it. Naturally.
To Make This Glazed Lemon Cake You Will Need:
- cake flour (or unbleached all-purpose)
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- granulated sugar
- lemon zest (about 3 lemons)
- fresh lemon juice
- vanilla extract
- melted butter
Preheat your oven to 350℉ (or 180℃).
First measure and whisk together 1-1/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, add the 2 tablespoons lemon zest and 1 cup sugar.
Then using your impeccably clean hands, massage the sugar and zest.
To the bowl with the sugar, crack in 3 large eggs, add 2 teaspoons vanilla, 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1/3 cup melted (cooled butter), whisking to combine.
Alternate adding 1/3 (of the 1/2 cup) milk and dry ingredients. Stirring just until incorporated.
With that said, be super careful not to over mix because you don’t want a dense cake.
Next, pour the batter into a 8×5 that has been sprayed and lined with parchment paper.
Then slip the pan into your preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tester comes out with only a few crumbs attached. Once baked, allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before running a knife around the edge and using the parchment to remove the loaf.
Place on a wire rack to cool.
Once the cake has cooled, make the glaze by whisking 1 cup powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
If the glaze seems a tad to thick, add a few small splashes of water to thin it out if need be. However, the glaze should be thick. Because I have zero patience when it comes to waiting, my cake was still a little to warm and as a result, my glaze looks a little thin.
This glazed lemon cake smells all kinds of amazing! And that glaze is phenomenal. It adds the perfect lemony final touch, so in other words, don’t skimp on the glaze!
Finally slice, serve and devour.
Glazed Lemon Cake
- 1¼ cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ (or 180℃) and spray a 8x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate, larger mixing bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Us your fingers to rub the sugar and zest together.
- To the bowl with the lemon sugar; add in the eggs, melted and cooled butter, vanilla and lemon juice. Whisking to combine.
- Alternate adding 1/3 of the flour mixture and milk to the egg mixture. Whisking until just combined, being mindful not to over mix.
- Pour the lemony batter into your prepared pan and bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean after inserting it into the middl of the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before running a knife around the edge of the pan and using the parchment paper as handles to remove. Place the cake on a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool make the glaze. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Add a small splash of water if the glazed needs it. The glaze should be thick.
- Pour the glaze onto of the cake and spread with an offset spatula. Slice and serve.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!