Glazed Chocolate Cake Doughnuts will satisfy your sweet tooth and chocolate craving. A quick chocolate buttermilk cake base is poured into doughnut pans, baked and then dipped into a buttermilk glaze. This recipe yields 12 chocolate cake doughnuts.
Glazed chocolate cake doughnuts have been my weakness since 1984.
Or thereabouts, because I was little.
In those early years, every so often on a random Saturday morning, my dad would drive out to the nearest Dunkin Donuts and pick up a coffee for himself and a dozen doughnuts for us. I never could predict when that white, orange and pink box would magically appear on the kitchen table, but you can believe I ran down the stairs every Saturday hoping to see it. Forever craving a sticky sweet chocolate cake doughnut.
To this day, whenever I take a bite of one it takes me back to my childhood.
To Make These Glazed Chocolate Cake Doughnuts You Will Need:
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- espresso powder
- baking soda
- light brown sugar
- mini chocolate chips (optional)
- kosher salt
- applesauce (unsweetened)
- unsalted butter (melted)
- powdered sugar
Preheat your oven to 375375℉ (or 190℃).
In a large bowl, sift in 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon espresso powder and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
Once sifted, add in 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. The mini chips are optional, my girls love them and they do add a depth to the chocolate flavor.
Mix to combine.
In a separate bowl, measure and add 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, 2 tablespoons melted (slightly cooled) unsalted butter, 1 large egg and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Whisk to combine.
Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
Stir until just combined.
Spray 2 doughnut pans with nonstick spray. I HIGHLY recommend using a nonstick spray that has flour to ensure easy release after baking.
Spoon the doughnut batter into your prepared pans.
Fill 3/4 of the way full and use the back of the spoon to spread the tops even.
Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 8 t0 12 minutes or until the doughnuts bounce back when gently pressed and/or a cake tester comes out with only a few crumbs (no batter) attached
Once baked, allow the doughnuts to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before running a thin rubber spatula around the edge to make sure they are sticking.
Carefully, invert the pan onto a wire rack so the doughnuts can cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the glaze. In a mixing bowl, sift 2 cups powdered sugar. Add a splash of vanilla and whisk while slowly adding buttermilk, until desired consistency.
And invert onto a wire rack set into a rimmed metal baking sheet to allow the excess glaze drip off and cool and harden.
I never can.
Rich and chocolaty and incredibly delicious. Serve with hot coffee or milk.
Glazed Chocolate Cake Doughnuts
FOR THE CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS:
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 to 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 splash pure vanilla extract
MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS:
- Preheat your oven to 375℉ (or 190℃) and spray 2 doughnut pans with nonstick spray. Nonstick spray with flour works best here.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, espresso and baking soda. Then add in the brown sugar, mini chocolate chips and kosher salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Next in a separte bowl, combine buttermilk, applesauce, (melted and cooled) butter, egg and vanilla. Whisk to combine and pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Use a rubber spatula to combine until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon batter into the wells of 2 doughnut pans. Fill 3/4 of the way and use a spoon to spread the tops evenly.
- Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven fro 8 to 12 minutes or until the doughnuts bounce back when gently pressed and/or a cake tester comes out with only a few crumbs (no batter) attached.
- Allow the doughnuts to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before running a thin spatula around the top edges to ensure they do not stick. Turn the cake doughnuts out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once they have cooled completely, prepare the glaze.
MAKE THE GLAZE:
- In a mixing bowl, sift the powdered sugar and add a splash of vanilla. Gradually add milk while whisking until it reaches a desired consistency.
- Dip doughnutes into glaze and transfer back to the wire rack.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!