In this Green Beans Almondine, green beans are cooked and tossed with garlic, lemon juice and toasted almonds. Simple and delicious!
Garlicky Green Bean Almondine. Say that seven times fast.
This is a favorite side dish of mine. I love the flavor of toasted almonds with the freshness of the green beans and garlic together. As a kid, this sort of recipe I would’ve probably turned my nose up at. I mean the thought of nuts on my vegetables would not fly. But as an adult, this totally works and luckily, both my husband and girls love them too!
In this simple side dish, blanched green beans are tossed in butter, garlic and lemon juice before finishing with toasted almonds.
To Make This Green Bean Almondine You Will Need:
- olive oil or avocado oil spray
- sliced almonds
- green beans
- butter or bacon fat
- fresh garlic
- lemon juice
- kosher salt
- black pepper
Spray a 10-inch, deep sided skillet with olive oil spray and heat over medium-low. Add in the slivered almonds, stir them occasionally until fragrant and lightly golden. Transfer to a small plate and set off to the side. Wipe the skillet out with paper towel.
Fill the same skillet with water and add a small palmful of sea salt. Cover and bring boil.
Once the water is boiling, drop in a pound of trimmed green beans. After a few minutes they should be a bright green.
After 4 to 6 minutes, strain the green beans into a colander. Immediately rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking any further.
In the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons of butter. Or if you have bacon fat, you can use that. I’ve made these both ways and they are equally delicious.
Drain off any excess water from the beans and throw them into the pan, tossing them until coated.
Next add in 2 cloves minced fresh garlic.
And squeeze in the juice from 1/2 a lemon.
Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Toss and cook 2 to 4 minutes, cooking until the green beans are firm yet tender.
Lastly add in the toasted almonds.
Toss together and then serve.
Fresh and garlicky, with the added bonus of crunch thanks to those toasty almonds. Garlicky green beans almondine is the perfect side to beef, chicken or pork.
Garlicky Green Beans Almondine
- olive oil, or avocado oil spray
- 2 ounces slivered almonds
- sea salt, for salting water
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter, or bacon fat
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lightly spray a 10-inch deep sided skillet with olive oil spray. Add amonds and cook over medium-low until toasted and fragrant. Transfer to a small plate or bowl and wipe out the skillet with paper towel.
- Fill the same pan with water and add a small palmful (about a tablespoon) of sea salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in the green beans and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until just about tender. Then strain through a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Add the butter to the skillet.
- Transfer the green beans in the skillet, tossing to coat in the butter.
- Next add in the minced garlic and squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Toss and cook 2 to 4 minutes, cooking until the green beans are firm yet tender.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Add the toasted almonds back in to the skilleta and toss before serving.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!