This Homemade Broccoli Casserole is a from-scratch version of a childhood classic. A lusciously creamy casserole consisting of homemade cream of mushroom soup, Swiss cheese, sautéed fresh broccoli, onions and garlic topped with butter toasted, hand-torn pieces of sourdough bread. Serves 8+.
I can’t stop thinking about this broccoli casserole (and its cheese strings).
On my side of the family, broccoli casserole is a staple holiday side dish. Whether it’s served with turkey, ham or roast chicken, this casserole is versatile and a crowd-pleaser.
In this recipe I’ve swapped out the canned cream of mushroom soup for my homemade version. I’m also using fresh broccoli, this way I can eliminate the frozen bag kind that typically consists of more stems than florets and gets mushy in the casserole, amiright? I’ve also done away with the breadcrumb topping and swapped it with hand-torn, pan-toasted sourdough croutons.
This from-scratch broccoli casserole is dreamy and the crisp buttery torn bread topping is pretty outstanding too.
To Make This Homemade Broccoli Casserole You Will Need:
- condensed cream of mushroom soup – This recipe is delicious, SO easy and takes minutes to make.
- mayonnaise – Adds a luscious creaminess.
- egg – Lends richness and moisture.
- baby swiss – Gives this casserole a buttery flavor, creaminess and those gorgeous cheese strings.
- water chestnuts – Add texture and crunch but are totally optional.
- butter – For sautéing and adds richness.
- yellow onion – Adds a subtle sweet onion flavor.
- garlic – Adds another layer of flavor to the casserole.
- kosher salt – This will draw out flavor of the vegetables and seasons the casserole.
- freshly ground black pepper – This will add some subtle bite and flavor.
- broccoli – Lends a grassy, earthy flavor that’s mildly bitter.
- sourdough bread – Adds great flavor and texture as a topping to this casserole.
Position the oven rack to the lower third of your oven and preheat to 350°. Grease a 2 to 3-quart oven-safe casserole dish with butter or olive oil spray.
In a large bowl add in the homemade cream of mushroom soup, 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 egg and 1/3 cup diced water chestnuts (optional).
Give that a stir and scoot off to the side.
In a deep-sided, 10-inch skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add in 1 cup of diced (about 1 medium) yellow onion, 1 clove minced garlic and a small pinch of salt.
Sauté for about 6 minutes or until the onions are just soft and turning translucent.
Add in the broccoli, stir and cover the pan with a lid. Cook the broccoli 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
The broccoli will be bright green, tender but still firm. If you want super soft broccoli, cook it 2 to 4 minutes longer.
Remove off the heat and add to the creamy mayo mixture and season with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Stir well to combine.
Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
Meanwhile tear 6 ounces of sourdough by hand.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the same skillet that cooked the onions and broccoli.
Toss in the torn bread pieces of sourdough and toss to coat in the butter. My bakery sells this super soft sourdough which works lovely as the topping to this homemade broccoli casserole.
Toast over medium-low heat until the bread pieces are lightly golden and slightly crispy. They will further crispy in oven.
Top with the toasted torn bread and bake, in the lower third of your oven, for 30 minute or until bubbly.
The combination of the cheesy homemade broccoli casserole and sourdough bread topping is utterly mouth watering.
And the aroma is to. die. for.
How To Reheat Broccoli Casserole:
I baked this casserole earlier in the day so I could blog it. Then I covered it in foil (after it had cooled) and popped it into the fridge. I reheated it later to have with dinner by preheating my oven back to 350°, removing the foil and baking until bubbly. It tasted just as fantastic the second time around.
Making Broccoli Casserole In Advance:
For the holidays, I’d prepare everything until the bread croutons. Cover tightly, refrigerate and then toast the torn bread before wanting to bake.
Homemade Broccoli Casserole
- 1 recipe condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 generous cup baby swiss cheese, grated using the larges holes on box grater
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup diced water chestnuts, optional
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces sourdough bread, hand-torn
- Position your oven rack in the lower third portion of your oven. Preheat your oven to 350° and grease a 2 to 3-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl add in the condensed mushroom soup, mayonnaise, grated Swiss, an egg and diced water chestnuts. Give that a stir and scoot off to the side.
- In a deep-sided, 10-inch skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add in yellow onion, garlic and a small pinch of salt. Sauté for about 6 minutes or until the onions are just soft and turning translucent.
- Add in the broccoli, stir and cover the pan with a lid. Cook the broccoli 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. The broccoli will be bright green, tender but still firm.
- Remove off the heat and add to the creamy mayo/swiss mixture and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Adding the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the same pan that cooked the onions and broccoli. Add the torn sourdough bread and toss to coat. Toast over medium-low heat until the bread pieces are lightly golden and slightly crispy. (these will further crispy in oven)
- Top the casserole with bread pieces.
- Slide the casserole into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the sourdough is deeply golden and the casserole is bubbly.Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!