Heaven is this roasted chipotle salsa.
A little smoky, a smidgen spicy and a whole lot fresh. This salsa is delicious and just begging for chips to dip, tacos to be topped and nachos to be adorned.
There’s only one salsa I will buy from the store when in a pinch, otherwise I make my own. It’s kind of my thing and I love making my own salsa from scratch. If you’ve made your own salsa, you know just how easy it is. Fresh ingredients blended into one harmonious bowl of goodness.
Once you start, you won’t ever stop.
In this recipe the only canned ingredient is the chipotle peppers in adobo. Yep! This salsa calls for fresh tomatoes and we are sliding them under the broiler to char the skin which will give it a ton of flavor.
Start by moving your oven rack to the top portion of your oven and preheat it to broil.
Next, place the tomatoes (skin side facing up), sliced onions and garlic cloves (peels on) onto a rimmed metal baking sheet. Slide the pan under the broiler and broil for 6-8 minutes.
Voila! The tomato skin should blacken and be blistered. Trust me you want that char!
Next allow the tomatoes, onions and garlic to cool for a few minutes, meanwhile gather the remaining ingredients and lug out that food processor.
The moment you can safely handle the garlic cloves, peel their skin and discard.
Next, place the tomatoes (with charred skin), onions and garlic into the bowl of your food processor that is fitted with the blade attachment.
Then add in the chipotle peppers, lime juice, salt and pepper and fresh cilantro. I think 2 small-ish chipotle peppers give this salsa the perfect heat. But you of course could always scale it down to 1 pepper.
Now secure the lid and pulse until you reach the consistency you prefer.
We like our roasted chipotle salsa on the thin side with small chunks. Taste and season with more salt, if desired and then either serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
All that’s left to do is to get your dip on.
Chip. Dip. Repeat.
Enjoy! And if you give this recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Easy Homemade Roasted Chipotle Salsa
- 2 pounds roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium white onion, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, plus
- 1½ teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- Move your oven rack to the top portion of your oven and preheat to broil.
- Place the tomato halves (skin side up), onion slices and garlic onto a rimmed, metal sheet pan.
- Slide the pan under the broiler and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until the skin on the tomatoes has blacken.
- Allow to cool until the garlic cloves are safe to handle, then remove their skin and add the tomatoes, onions, garlic, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, salt, pepper, cilantro and lime juice. Secure the lid and pulse until you've reached a desired consistency.
- Taste and check to see if it needs more salt. Then either serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!
[this post contains affiliate links.]
[This post contains affiliate links.]
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!