This Easy Basil Oil Recipe is the perfect way to add a pop of color and flavor to your favorite recipes. Drizzle over grilled or roasted veggies, soup, pasta or salad. This recipe will yield ⅔-cup or 10 (1-tablespoon) servings.
What Is Basil Oil?
Basil oil is just that – basil oil. Fresh basil is blended with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice until smooth. Thinner than pesto, basil oil adds a pop of color, herbaceous flavor to lots of different dishes. It’s also a great option for replacing pesto if you need to avoid tree nuts.
In this post, learn how to make, use and store homemade basil oil!
To Make This Basil Oil Recipe You Will Need:
- basil leaves (fresh) – You will want 3/4 cup packed so make sure you have enough.
- olive oil – Use a good quality olive oil for this recipe.
- garlic – Add 1 to 2 cloves depending on how garlicky you want it.
- lemon juice – Adds a touch of acidity, bright flavor and helps keep the basil oil a vibrant green.
- kosher salt – Enhances the flavors in this recipe.
- freshly ground black pepper – Adds some subtle bite and flavor.
recipe variations (optional):
- red pepper flakes – For a spicy kick. Add in once blended and then pulse once more.
- lemon zest – Adds additional lemon flavor for a lemony basil oil.
- extra garlic clove – For those who love things extra garlicky.
In a personal blend or mini food processor, measure and add in 3/4 cup (packed) basil leaves, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 (small to medium in size) cloves smashed and peeled garlic, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Secure the lid and process until completely blended and smooth.
It’s really that simple!
How To Store Basil Oil:
Store basil oil in a container or jar that has a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
How To Freeze Basil Oil:
Portion out into ice cube trays or store in a single freezer-safe container. Cover with a thin layer of olive oil (to keep it fresh and a vibrant green). If freezing in trays, remove once frozen solid to a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 1 year.
Ways To Use Basil Oil:
- Serve as is with warm bread for dipping.
- Toss into salads – grains, chopped, pasta salad or anything caprese.
- Swirl into soup – Like minestrone, tomato or even risotto.
- Elevate a sandwich, panini, wrap or pizza.
- Add a pop of color to grilled or roasted veggies, risotto or pasta.
- Delicious drizzled over grilled chicken or seafood with delicious herbaceous flavor.
Easy Basil Oil Recipe
- 3/4 cup basil leaves, packed
- 2 small cloves fresh garlic, smashed and peeled, more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add ingredients to a personal blender or mini food processor. Blend until smooth.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!