Freshness galore with this Cucumber Tomato Salad! Fresh Campari tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and garlic in a lemony dressing is the perfect side salad to chicken or lamb.
If you stopped by yesterday, you saw my post for the most delicious lamb kofta open-faced pitas. Toasty pita, hummus, kofta and topped with a cucumber tomato salad [and a garlicky yogurt sauce]. Originally, I wasn’t planing to do a whole separate post for this salad. Until I tasted it. And then ate it every day with 1/2 a slice of pita bread.
There’s no secret ingredient, just fresh ingredients. Which, let’s face it, is the best ingredients. With that said, Campari tomatoes are my favorite tomato for salads like this. When you want wedges of tomatoes, but not too big of tomato wedges they are your tomatoes. And their flavor is sublime.
To Make this Cucumber Tomato Salad you will need:
- 1 large English cucumber
- a pound Campari tomatoes
- 1/2 a medium red onion
- a clove of fresh garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- a 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh mint, for garnish
First, rinse off the cucumber and trim the ends. Cut it in half and then the halves lengthwise.
Next, grab a spoon and scrape out all of the seeds. Then slice into 1/4-inch thick slices and throw them into a large mixing bowl. Because the seeds hold water, removing them will keep this salad from getting soggy.
Then quarter the tomatoes, slice the red onion and finely mince up the clove of garlic and add it to the bowl. Next measure the dried herbs into your palm. Pinch the herbs in-between your fingers and rub together, over and into the bowl.
Lastly, drizzle in 2 teaspoons olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Cucumber Tomato Salad is fresh and flavorful and ready in minutes.
My kind of salad.
This salad is delicious served as is or with my Lamb Kofta Open-faced Pitas!
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 1 large English cucumber, seeded and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 pound campari tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, large and finely minced
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley, see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, see notes
- 2 pinches kosher salt, or to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cucumber, tomato, onion, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!