Freshness galore with this Cucumber Tomato Salad! Fresh Campari tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and garlic in a lemony dressing is the perfect side salad to chicken or lamb.
If you stopped by yesterday, you saw my post for the most delicious lamb kofta open-faced pitas. Toasty pita, hummus, kofta and topped with a cucumber tomato salad [and a garlicky yogurt sauce]. Originally, I wasn’t planing to do a whole separate post for this salad. Until I tasted it. And then ate it every day with 1/2 a slice of pita bread.
There’s no secret ingredient, just fresh ingredients.
Which, let’s face it, is the best ingredients. With that said, Campari tomatoes are my favorite tomato for salads like this. When you want wedges of tomatoes, but not too big of tomato wedges they are your tomatoes. And their flavor is sublime.
The best part? The longer it sits, the better it gets.
To Make this Cucumber Tomato Salad you will need:
- English cucumber
- Campari tomatoes
- red onion
- fresh garlic
- dried parsley
- dried oregano
- lemon (juice)
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh mint
First, rinse off 1 English cucumber and trim the ends.
Cut it in half and then the halves lengthwise.
Next, grab a spoon and scrape out all of the seeds.
Then slice into 1/4-inch thick slices and throw them into a large mixing bowl. Because the seeds hold water, removing them will keep this salad from getting soggy.
Then quarter 1 pound campari tomatoes, slice 1/2 a medium red onion and finely mince up 1 clove of garlic and add it to the bowl. Next measure 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano into your palm. Pinch the herbs in-between your fingers and rub together, over and into the bowl.
Lastly, squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and drizzle in 2 teaspoons olive oil.
Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and toss with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint.
Let this sit for 30 minutes to an hour for the flavors to develop.
Cucumber Tomato Salad is fresh and flavorful.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 1 large English cucumber, seeded and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 pound campari tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, large and finely minced
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley, see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, see notes
- 2 pinches kosher salt, or to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cucumber, tomato, onion, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper and fresh mint in a mixing bowl.
- Toss to combine.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour so the flavors can develop or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!