Season meat or veggies with the robust Chorizo Spice Blend. A plethora of herbs and spices, like ancho chile, cumin and coriander are combined make one robust seasoning. Yields about 1/4 cup.
I’ve got another spice blend to add to our growing list of homemade spice blends! This homemade chorizo spice blend calls for a bunch of dried herbs and spices from your cupboard and yields on flavorful spice.
Mix with ground pork or beef, or even vegetables and you will be amazed by the delicious chorizo flavor.
Come back tomorrow because I’m sharing a recipe you’ll want to make asap!
For this homemade chorizo spice blend, you will need:
- bay leaf
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
- ancho chili powder
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground cumin
- freshly ground black pepper
- ground coriander
- ground cinnamon
- cayenne pepper (optional) – add if wanting your chorizo to be spicy!
What Are The Best Spices For Making Your Own Seasonings and Spice Blends?
There’s no right or wrong brand. I will first say, buy what you can afford. However, not all spices are created equal as you tend to get what you pay for. Currently I use Morton & Bassett (not sponsored) because I find their spices to be top notch in texture, color and flavor. I love and respect what their company stands for not only with charitable work but also quality control. With that said some other wonderful brands I’ve used over the years are Simple Organic, Frontier Co-op and Penzys.
First, break up 1 bay leaf into small pieces and add it to your mortar and bust it up a bit with the pestle.
Then to that add in 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano and thyme and ground until finely ground.
Next, measure and 2 tablespoon ancho chili powder, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon coriander, 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon into a jar (I linked my favorite jar in the recipe printable below) and then add in the finely ground bay, oregano and thyme.
Lastly, whisk to combine.
To use; measure 1 to 2 tablespoons per pound of meat or vegetables. Otherwise use more and less to your preference.
For more homemade seasonings CLICK HERE!
Chorizo Spice Blend
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons ancho Chile powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- cayenne pepper, optional - add for spicy heat
- Break up the bay leaf into small pieces and add it to your mortar. Use the pestle and grind it up a bit.
- Next add in the oregano and thyme and ground until finely ground.
- Measure and combine all spices, along with the bay, oregano and thyme in a container and stir to combine.
- Store in a jar or container with a tight-fitting lid and store in dry, dark place for up to 6 months or longer.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!