In this Chicken Egg Roll Bowl, ground chicken is cooked and tossed with napa cabbage, bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and carrots in a light ginger garlic sauce.
I love getting Chinese take out mainly for the bonus egg rolls and I’m the only person in my house that will eat them. Which means that wax paper bag of 4 all go to moi. Sure, I love that crispy outer wrap, but the filling is equally just as good. Especially when drizzled with sweet and sour sauce. YUM. Which leads me to this recipe.
Enter the egg roll bowl.
This isn’t a new concept, but this chicken egg roll bowl was indeed inspired by the delicious filling of my beloved egg rolls. It’s light and healthy and literally smells and tastes like an egg roll. Minus that delicious deep fried egg roll wrapper of course. I did add ground chicken for some protein, and the whole thing cooks up in minutes, making this recipe perfect for any night of the week.
In it ground chicken is quickly cooked in a large wok and tossed with cabbage, baby bok choy, shredded carrot and sliced shiitake mushrooms. But the real magic is in the light ginger garlic sauce.
To Make This Chicken Egg Roll Bowl You will need:
- napa cabbage
- baby bok choy
- small onion
- shiitake mushrooms
- olive oil spray
- ground chicken
- fresh grated ginger
- grated fresh garlic
- low-sodium Tamari
- shaoxing wine
- toasted sesame oil
- sesame seeds (toasted)
- green onions
- red pepper flakes, or
- sambal oelek, for serving
Slice, rinse and towel or spin-dry the cabbage and baby bok choy.
The first time I tested this recipe out, I used 1 head napa cabbage and 1 head purple cabbage. Which in theory works, but the blueish color eventually stained everything around it. No bueno. So I swapped it for 4 heads of baby bok choy.
Grate 1 large carrot and thinly slice an onion. Then lightly brush any dirt off of 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, remove the stems and slice the shiitake caps.
Spray a large wok or chefs pan with olive oil spray and preheat on high. Once hot, add in 1 pound ground chicken and use a wooden spatula to break it up into small crumbles. Cook the chicken until no longer pink and is golden browned in spots. Add in 2 teaspoons both grated fresh garlic and ginger, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Add in the sliced cabbage, bok choy, shredded carrot, sliced yellow onion and mushrooms and gently toss with the ground chicken to combine.
Immediately pour in 1/4 cup tamari, 1 tablespoon rice wine, 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil and keep tossing to combine and until the cabbage and bok choy start to wilt.
The cabbage and bok choy only take a minute to wilt, so having the sauce ingredients remeasured is a good idea.
Lastly, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve!
Top with lots of sliced green onions, more sesame seeds and red pepper flakes or sambal oelek if you want some heat.
I promise, you’re going to love this fresh and heathy chicken egg roll bowls! Because not only is it delicious but it’s so easy too. Eat it with chop sticks or a fork, either way it’s delicious!
Click Here for more chicken recipes!
Chicken Egg Roll Bowl
- olive oil spray
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 4 heaping cups sliced napa cabbage
- 1 bunch baby bok choy, (3 to 4 small) sliced with leafy tops included
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, halved and sliced thin
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 4 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems being removed and discarded
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari, or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing rice wine
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Spray a large wok or chefs pan with olive oil and preheat on high.
- Once hot add in the chicken. Use a wooden spatula to break up the chicken into small crumbles and cook until no longer pink. About 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add in the grated ginger and garlic, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Then add in cabbage, bok choy, onion, carrot and mushrooms. Toss carefully to combine.
- Pour in the tamari, rice wine, sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. Toss frequently until the cabbage and bok choy start to wilt.
- Immediately remove and garnish with green onions and more toasted sesame seeds.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!