Sweet corn, cheddar cheese and chives collide in these undoubtedly moist cheddar chive corn muffins. Serve warm with a little smear of butter is the sbsolute best way to enjoy them.
Bread. My nemesis. No really. I want to hate bread but I can’t. It’s just there, calling my name, smelling all gooood and just begging to be buttered! Ugh. I’m a total sucker for all things whole wheat, Italian, French, white or corn in the form of loaves, sticks, rolls or baguettes. I love them all!
Since my Lemon Chive Pasta post I’ve been thinking about those chives that are growing in our non-garden. I couldn’t just let them sit there with the impending threat of the lawn mower or even worse, what if our dog chewed them up or (gasp!) lift his leg on them. So I was off with my kitchen shears to snip some before they were ruined, with every intention to stick them into these cheddar chive corn muffins.
To Make These Cheddar Chive Corn Muffins You Will Need:
- butter, for greasing pan
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- yellow corn meal
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- baking soda
- large egg
- low-fat buttermilk
- unsalted butter, melted
- sweet corn kernels (thawed and patted dry if frozen)
- freshly snipped chives
- freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
Generously grease a standard muffin tin, this will ensure easy muffin removal.
In a large bowl measure and add 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 yellow corn meal, 2 tablespoons sugar or honey, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
Whisk until combined.
Next use your spoon or spatula to make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Next crack in 1 egg…
And then pour in 1 cup buttermilk and 1 tablespoon (cooled) butter, melted.
Next, chop up 2 tablespoons chives.
Lastly, add 3/4 cup (thawed if frozen) sweet corn and chopped chives.
Then gently stir just until combined.
Lastly, toss in 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar and fold it in gently, try not to over mix.
Make sure there isn’t any huge clumps of cheddar cheese.
Divide the corn batter into your prepared pan. If I had to guess it would be a scant 1/4 cup per muffin.
Place in a preheated 400° oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
I opened my oven door to check on them and was slapped in the face with the delicious aroma of chive, corn, cheddar cheese and bread. I swear if I was on a desert island and I could only pick one type of food it would be bread, in any shape or form.
Then let the cheddar chive corn muffins cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing.
Lastly, if you need to, use a knife or offset spatula along the edge of the muffin pan to release the muffins. Then place the muffins onto a cooling rack or serve immediately with butter!
I ate one right away… all I can say is yum! These were everything I hoped them to be. These must be served with lots and lots of butter!! Delicious!
Click Here For More Muffin Recipes!
Cheddar Chive Corn Muffins
- olive oil spray, or butter for greasing pan
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 yellow corn meal
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, thawed and patted dry if frozen
- 2 tablespoon snipped chives
- Preheat the oven to 425°and generously butter 12 cup muffin cups and set aside. In a medium bowl combine the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and baking soda.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. In the center of the well; add the egg, buttermilk, melted butter, corn and chives. Mix just until everything starts to come together, then toss in the cheddar cheese and mix just until the cheese is incorporated.
- Spoon the corn batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Place in preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are lightly golden. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before removing them to a cooling rack. Serve still warm with butter.
- Store the corn muffins in an airtight container for a few days.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!