Broccoli Ham and Swiss Soup is a creamy flavorful soup loaded with broccoli florets, ham and gruyere cheese. Served best with crackers, crusty bread or a grilled cheese for dipping. This recipe will serves 4 to 6.
Today was the perfect day for soup.
Sometimes I luck out and plan to shoot a recipe that just so happens to fit the mood for the day perfectly. And on a dim, rainy and chilly day, soup and grilled cheese is always the perfect thing.
I’ve had this recipe written in one of my many spiral-bound notebooks for years. Inspired by one of my favorite sandwiches and soups. Basically what you have here is a hot ham and cheese sandwich that collides with a creamy broccoli cheese soup.
The result? Delicious.
I made us grilled cheese sandwiches using white American cheese on sourdough with some thinly sliced onion inside. Absolutely perfect for dunking in this soup.
To Make This Broccoli Ham and Swiss Soup You Will Need:
- unsalted butter
- hello onion
- kosher salt
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- low-sodium chicken broth
- half & half
- diced ham
- gruyere cheese
Start by melting 4 tablespoons butter into a soup pot or dutch oven.
Once melted, add 1/2 cup diced carrot, 1/2 cup diced celery and 1 diced medium yellow onion with a pinch of kosher salt.
Meanwhile, cut up the broccoli into small florets, you need 8 ounces.
Stir and sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes.
Add in the broccoli florets, stir and cover, cooking for 5 minutes.
Next, add in 2 cloves minced fresh garlic. Stir cook 1 to 2 minutes.
Sprinkle the softened vegetables with 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour.
Stir and cook 2 minutes.
Pour in 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth.
Along with the broth, pour in 2 cups half & half. If you can’t find half & half, you can substitute with 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup whole milk.
Grate in roughly 1/8 teaspoon fresh nutmeg.
Stir and simmer on medium to medium-low until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Once the soup has thickened, add in 8 ounces diced ham and 4 ounces grated gruyere.
Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Stir and heat through until the ham is warmed and cheese is melted.
Ladle hot soup into bowls.
Top with more cheese and serve with crackers, crusty bread or a grilled cheese for dunking.
Life doesn’t get much better.
Broccoli Ham and Swiss Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half & half, or sub 1 cup each whole milk and heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, grated, plus more for serving
- 8 ounces ham, finely diced, I used 95%fat free
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- In a medium pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted add onion, celery and carrot with a pinch of kosher salt. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets, stir and cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and add garlic, stir and cook 1 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and half & half. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add freshly grated nutmeg, stir and heat over medium until thickened. About 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in ham and gruyere and heat through until cheese is melted.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!