In this quick and easy Breakfast Sausage Gravy; browned pork breakfast sausage, creamy, peppery gravy tops either homemade drop biscuits or buttermilk biscuits. This recipe serves 4 to 8 depending (see recipe card notes).
This is one of the only recipes I know by heart.
Probably because it has only 5 ingredients, one skillet and bare minimum labor is required. However this recipe is cozy, soul-warming and makes for a satisfying breakfast or brunch component. And bonus (!!!), this decadent-plate-of-delicousness takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. It starts with browning pork breakfast sausage, stirring in a little flour and pouring in some milk. Stir and simmer until thick and then spoon over warm, out-of-the-oven biscuits. SO easy!
Casual enough for Sunday morning but special enough to serve at Christmas brunch.
To Make This Easy Sausage Gravy You Will Need:
- pork breakfast sausage – For ease use store-bought or refer to this recipe for making your own!
- unbleached all-purpose flour – This helps to thicken the gravy.
- milk – I like to use either whole milk or half & half.
- freshly ground black pepper – Adds distinct bite and flavor.
- biscuits (for serving) – Use either homemade drop biscuits or buttermilk biscuits.
- chives (optional – for serving) – This adds a delicious subtle fresh onion flavor.
In a 10-inch skillet, add 1 pound breakfast sausage.
Use a wooden spatula to break up the sausage in to small crumbles. Cook until no longer pink and browned in spots.
When the sausage is completely brown simply sprinkle 1/4 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour over top.
Stir and cook until the flour is completely absorbed.
Reduce the meat to medium-low and pour in 2 cups of whole milk or half & half. You can use a lesser fat milk, however it may affect the creaminess.
Stir occasionally, while at a low small simmer, until thickened to desired consistency.
Lastly, taste and season with freshly ground black pepper. If your sausage gravy gets too thick, thin it out with a splash or two of milk or half & half.
Serve spoonfuls over warm flakey biscuits. I like to sprinkle with a little snipped fresh chives for a deliciously subtle onion flavor.
Prepare to fall in love.
If serving over homemade buttermilk biscuits or drop biscuits, you may want to consider doubling the sausage gravy recipe as homemade biscuits are larger than store-bought/frozen biscuits.
Easy Breakfast Sausage Gravy Over Biscuits
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, or sub with half & half
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 whole biscuits, for serving
- IIn a 10-inch skillet, add 1 pound breakfast sausage. Cook over medium heat to render out the fat. Continue to cook the sausage until no longer pink and browned in spots.
- Once browned, sprinkle the flour, stirring until the fat in the pan has completely absorbed the flour.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour in the whole milk (or half & half).
- Stir occasionally, while at a low bubble, until thickened to desired consistency. (if too thick, add more milk or half & half)
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Serve a few spoonfulls over biscuits (see notes).
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!