These Air Fryer Salsa Chicken Taquitos couldn’t be any easier! Shredded cooked chicken is tossed with salsa and wrapped in a tortilla with cheese. Then they are lightly sprayed with olive oil and air fried until crispy. This recipe yields 20 crispy taquitos!
Super Easy Recipe alert!
Either served as an appetizer for guests or a fun and simple dinner, these salsa chicken taquitos never disappoint. And BONUS! you only need 5 (yes! FIVE) ingredients to make them. That’s the kind of recipe my weekdays need!
This recipe originally was something I quickly whipped up when I had a bare bones and nearly empty fridge. Luckily, some leftover shredded chicken, salsa and soft flour tortillas saved the day. The outcome was these super crispy, cheesy and incredibly flavorful taquitos and it only took me minutes to pull together. #favoriterecipe
We like ours on top of finely shredded lettuce and garnished with sour cream (plain greek yogurt for me), jalapeño hot sauce, fresh pico de gallo and a little Cotija cheese. However, plain with a little hot sauce is still pretty darn delicious! Even my two teenagers gave them the thumbs up – and that’s saying a lot.
To Make These Air Fryer Salsa Chicken Taquitos You Will Need:
- shredded cooked chicken from 1 roasted chicken or rotisserie
- salsa – store bought or homemade
- shredded cheese
- flour soft tortillas
- olive oil spray
Add 3 to 4 cups shredded cooked chicken into a mixing bowl with 1/2 cup (give or take) and toss to combine. Oh and B-T-W use your favorite salsa, homemade or jarred. I knowww this is a from scratch blog, but even I need a cheat ingredient every now and again.
Working in batches, lay couple of the tortillas down. On the bottom third of each one, top with a little of the chicken and a little cheese.
Roll tightly and repeat until all 20 taquitos are rolled. Place them seam side down on to a rimmed metal baking sheet.
Next spray with some of the olive oil spray while your air fryer preheats to 35o-360°.
What Is Air Frying?
An air fryer is a counter top appliance that requires less oil (anything from a few spritz to 1 tablespoon) yet produces crispy food that rivals most deep fried foods. By using circulating hot air, it moves at a high speed so the food tends to cook in a fraction of the time.
There are a bunch of different makes and models of air fryers. My husband did the research (as he’s known to do) and found this air fryer [affiliate] to be one of the best. But do your research and purchase one that fits your lifestyle.
How is Air Frying Healthier?
Air frying is healthier because only a thin layer of oil coats the food and when the hot air comes in contact it will crisp. Saving you a ton of fat and calories (without sacrificing any flavor!) because food is not being submerged in a vat of hot oil.
For more Air Fryer recipes, click here for my growing collection.
Once your air fryer has preheated, work in batches of 4 or 5 and air fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Try to avoid air frying less than 4 as they may unravel.
I serve mine on a bed of shredded lettuce (like restaurants do!) and top with jalapeño hot sauce, greek yogurt, pico and Cotija cheese.
Crispy and delicious and SO delicious!
Air Fryer Salsa Chicken Taquitos
- 1 cooked chicken, shredded from roasted or rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup salsa, or more to taste
- 20 flour tortillas, fajita size
- 1½ cups cheddar jack cheese
- olive oil spray
- In a mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken (about 4 cups) and 1/2 to 2/3 cup of salsa or more and toss until evenly coated. Add more salsa as needed. I always eyeball it.
- Working in batches, place a few tortillas down onto a clean surface. On 1/3 of the tortilla, place some of the salsa chicken and a little cheese.
- Starting on the end with the chicken and cheese, fold it over and roll tightly before placing each one onto a rimmed metal baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, chicken and cheese until all 20 are rolled.
- Then spray all of the rolled taquitos with olive oil spray.
- Preheat you air-fryer to 350-360° and working in batches of 4 or 5 taquitos at a time (any extra room in the basket could cause them to unroll) air-fry for 4 to 5 mintues or until crispy and golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining taquitos.
- Serve as is or with desired toppings (see notes).
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!