Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip

I’ve been making this four cheese spinach artichoke dip for years now.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (11)

It’s warm and cheesy! Every time I pull it out of the oven, it reminds me of when my best friend would come over for wine night. We would plop down on my couch, with this four cheese spinach artichoke dip [or this caramelized shallot and blue cheese dip] between us and a glass of wine in our hand. Sometimes we’d watch a movie and sometimes we’d just eat, sip and chat.

Feeling blissfully stuffed and a bit tipsy, by the end of the night, we’d joke about how we finished off the entire dip. And wine. Then we’d make a strict promise that we’d go out and run the next day. But we both knew we wouldn’t be getting out of bed. Somehow this made us feel better about it all.

Back then we lived in the same neighborhood. So these sort of nights happened every fall when Pat would be up north hunting. Now we’re a seven minute drive away and we do more coffee dates in morning than wine nights. But that’s okay because I love coffee and mornings. Oh and we still don’t run.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (17)

This four cheese spinach artichoke dip recipe is a perfect party app for a small gathering or a movie night amongst friends, and is cinch to whip up. It’s creamy, cheesy and sort of healthy because of the spinach and artichokes right?? [please say yes]

Now go grab a bottle of your favorite wine, some crusty bread or chips and your favorite best friend(s) and settle in.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (24)

For this dip you will need, 8 ounces [softened] cream cheese, one clove of garlic, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon each asiago, parmesan and Romano cheese, 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts, (9 ounce package) frozen chopped spinach [thawed], salt and pepper.

Start by spraying a cast iron skillet or baking dish with olive oil or smearing with softened butter. In the past, I’ve used a ceramic baking dish and also a deep-sided glass pie dish. Now I prefer my trusty 10-inch cast iron skillet because it gets the edges nice and crispy, just how I like it.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (2)

Start by adding the softened cream cheese and 1/4 cup of mayo into a medium bowl, and grate in the peeled clove of garlic.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (7) Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (3)

Next, add a 1/2 cup of the grated mozzarella and a tablespoon of each of the freshly grated cheeses into a bowl. Set that off to the side.

Add the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1/4 cup each of  asiago, parmesan, romano cheese in to the bowl with the cream cheese.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (5)

I always use frozen spinach and defrost it low and slowly in the microwave. Hand squeeze out as much water as possible. Then place the spinach in a clean kitchen towel and twist to wring out the rest of the water. Also, if the artichokes are in a brine, I’ll drain them into a colander. Rinse well with cold water and then quarter the artichokes into smaller pieces.

Add in the cup of quartered artichokes and chopped spinach to the bowl of cheese. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil and a pinch of salt and pepper.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (6)

Use a rubber spatula and gently fold in all the ingredients until combined. Really work the spatula to break up the spinach.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (9)

Transfer the spinach mixture into the prepared dish and spread it all out evenly. Really I could just skip the baking step and just eat it now. But it’s SO darn good all warm and melty! The struggle is real.

Sprinkle with that remaining four cheese mixture. Bake the dip in your preheated 350° oven for 30 to 35 minutes.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (10)

The top of the dip should be lightly golden and bubbly. Allow the dip to cool a bit, about 5 minutes or so before serving.

Feel free to serve this four cheese spinach and artichoke dip with corn tortilla chips, pumpernickel bread, or my personal favorite, toasted pita or naan chips.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (13)

Sometimes, right before serving, I sprinkle the dip with red pepper flakes for a little spice. And maybe even some chopped parsley for a pop of color, but these two are totally optional.

You’re gonna love this four cheese spinach artichoke dip!

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (15)

Enjoy! And if you give this Baked Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (20)

Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip

I've been making this baked Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip for years! It's creamy, cheesy and full of spinach and artichokes and did I mention CHEESE?!

Yield: 6-8 servings

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: about 1 hour

1 (9 ounce) package frozen spinach

1 cup chopped artichoke hearts (about 1/2 of a 15 ounce can)*

8 ounces softened cream cheese

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 medium clove of garlic, peeled and finely grated or minced

1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly grated asiago cheese, divided

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pecorino Romano cheese, divided

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

a pinch of kosher salt

a few grinds of black pepper

Defrost the spinach completely. If cool enough to touch, squeeze majority of the water out by hand before placing the spinach in a clean kitchen towel and wringing out any remaining water.

Drain artichokes, then quarter and/or chop if large. If the artichokes come in a brine, rinse in a colander under cold water and drain.

Preheat your oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with olive oil or wipe a deep-sided pie dish with butter and set aside.

In a medium bowl add the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise and grate in the garlic.

In a small, separate bowl measure a 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and a tablespoon each of asiago, parmesan and Romano cheese, mix and set aside.

Next add the remaining mozzarella, asiago, parmesan and Romano cheese. Then add in the chopped artichokes and spinach. Season with dried basil, salt and pepper and stir to combine.

Transfer mixture to a prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with the reserved four cheeses before sliding it onto the middle rack of you preheated oven.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.

Serve with corn tortilla chips, baked pita chips or pumpernickel bread.

Hot Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip l SimplyScratch.com (22)

37 Responses to “Four Cheese Spinach Artichoke Dip”

Bev Weidner — August 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

MAMA. Heaven. Bliss. Cloud 9.

This dip is RIGHT up my alley. Gorgeous!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm

HAAA Bev… I agree! Could totally eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner!! 🙂

Pretend Chef — August 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Girls night is in order just for an excuse to make this dip. I know the girls would love this. Yummy! The photo of the finished product is crave worthy. I love the looks of the golden cheese.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com — August 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm

oooh – I like the idea of that ! I adore artichokes but no idea what to cook with them – so normally just buy char roasted in chilli oil and we eat them as is. Dip sounds yummy though 🙂

Aarthi — August 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm

This look truly delicious…

Erika — August 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing!! Definitely wish I had made this last night for the party I went to. Maybe I'll have to just throw a party.

Erika — August 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Oh my goodness! I'm definitely going to have to make this. The photography is beautiful!

Steph — August 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Whoa! I've got to save this one for football season!!

S.V. — August 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

WOW looks amazing can;t go wrong with lots of cheese. My mother would make me her favorite if I made this for her LOL.

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Steph! This is totally a great app for football season! 🙂

Sabrina — August 1, 2011 at 5:51 pm

one of my absolute favorites! Thank you for sharing!! Spinach dip reminds me of watch American Idol woth my roomies in college. I would devour an entire package of the TGI Fridays frozen dip myself..every week!…those were the days!

Jim — August 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm

This looks just as good as mine! I enjoy all the pictures

Deanna — August 1, 2011 at 6:44 pm

My favorite way to serve artichoke spinach dip is in a sourdough bread bowl. Everyone always goes crazy for it. If I make it the day before I'm going to bake it I line the bread bowl with sliced mozzarella so the bread doesn't get soggy.

South Valley Girl — August 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Oh I'm SO glad you're annoyed by the waste on cooking shows, too. I also howl at the screen when they leave an entire serving of what they're making in the bowl – it sets a bad example for the young ones watching.

Great dip, by the way.

South Valley Girl — August 1, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Oh I'm SO glad to hear someone else is annoyed by the waste on those cooking shows. I also howl at the screen when they leave one or two servings in there – it's wasteful and is a bad example to the young ones who are watching. Waste not, want not.

And great dip, by the way.

Christina

SavithaRaj's Spice Land — August 1, 2011 at 7:25 pm

These look very perfect and delicious..

Tina — August 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm

This is a great homemade dip-I love all the ingredients, so there is no doubt that the taste is out of this world. Thanks for sharing-bookmarked.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks — August 1, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Yum! That dip sounds amazing and I just love all of your gorgeous photos. This is my first time at your site and I'll definitely be back 🙂

Also, I host a recipe swap on Wednesdays where there are usually about 200 recipes contributed and I would LOVE for you to come show off one of your delicious creations!
    Katie

Jennifurla — August 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

dear lord are you ever tempting me!

Abby — August 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

that looks ridiculously good! Especially for this Fall weather…Football Food!!

Erin Branham — August 1, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Not gonna lie…I'd love to fall head first into that dip right about now…YUM!!!!!

Erin — August 2, 2011 at 1:19 am

One of my hubbies favorite dips! Yours looks gorgeous!

Laurie @simplyscratch — August 2, 2011 at 2:10 am

Thank you Erin!

Kim Bee — August 2, 2011 at 2:34 am

For some reason I am not a dip fan. But hubs likes it so going to bookmark this beauty and make it for the next family get together. Thanks for sharing.

Tony Surman — August 2, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Nice job on your site!! I'm going to ask Erica to make this for me. Lol.

Life, Food & Cooking — August 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Yummy! This looks soo good! I will have to try this recipe. Check out my site sometime. http://www.wildjennostyle.com

Life, Food & Cooking — August 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Life, Food & Cooking — August 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

kita — August 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm

We loooove some artichoke dip in this house. Im sure my BF would love me to whip up a batch of this.

Emily @ Life on Food — August 2, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I know I would love this dip. I cannot wait to try it out. It looks delicious!

Mandy @ Cater to Me — August 3, 2011 at 3:30 am

Wow this looks amazing!!! I love ordering spinach and artichoke dip at restaurants, but I've never made it myself….this could be a little dangerous!

RavieNomNoms — August 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Holy deliciousness!!! That looks incredible. I am such a dip person, so this is just screaming my name 🙂

1. Pingback: Baked Cheese Dip with Tomato and Basil Recipe