Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls

Easy no yeast cinnamon rolls means you can enjoy freshly baked cinnamon rolls in an hour! No double rising! This is my husbands Great Grandmothers recipe and I’m so happy and honored to share it with you!

My diet starts January 1st.

Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls l SimplyScratch.com

Right after I finish this pan of cinnamon rolls. Ya feel me?

Speaking of cinnamon rolls, I’m so happy to share with you my husbands Great Grandma Mack’s (short for McNamara) recipe for easy no yeast cinnamon rolls.

My husband’s Aunt Penny did some digging around and found this recipe a few weeks before Christmas. Of course, the recipe was hand written with little to no specific measurements and called for Crisco. So I tested this recipe a few times, using butter and adding a little salt to the dough, but still keeping the integrity of her original recipe.

Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls l SimplyScratch.com

I’ve been apart of the McNamara family for over 21 years and I’ve heard my father-in-law talk about these cinnamon rolls from time to time. So when Penny found the long lost recipe, I decided to surprise my father-in-law by making them for him/us on Christmas morning. I quickly made a double batch on Christmas Eve night and baked them the next morning once we got to their home. My father-in-law said they tasted just as he remembered.

These no yeast cinnamon rolls can be whipped up in no time at all and they taste like perfection.

easy-no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-1

Start by preheating your oven to 375°. Pour a tablespoon of melted butter into a 9.5-inch deep-sided pie dish [affiliate]. Use a pastry brush to cover the bottom and sides of the pan.

easy-no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-19

To start, make the filling by combining the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter with 1/3 cup of both dark brown and granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. Set off to the side.

easy-no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-18

In a large bowl combine 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. Next drop in 6 tablespoons of cold, unsalted butter and use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour.

Ps. I have this one and love it! [affiliate]

easy-no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-2

Pour in the 3/4 cup of cold whole milk and use a rubber spatula to combine. Use your hands to quickly knead any loose flour or butter pieces into the dough. Do not over work.

no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-00

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 10 x 6 rectangle that’s 1/2 an inch thick. Add the cinnamon sugar mixture and use an offset spatula [affiliate] to spread it all the way out to the edge of the dough.

Starting at one side, use your fingers to tightly roll the dough and then go back the other way, rolling as you go. Place the roll onto a small parchment lined sheet pan and freeze for 10 minutes.

easy-no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-6

Once the 10 minutes are up, remove the roll from the freezer and cut in half. Then cut the halves in half so you have 4 pieces. Cut each piece into thirds, so you will end up with 12 slices.

no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-4

Arrange the slices in the bottom of the prepared pan. Slide the pan into your preheated oven and bake for 28 minutes, rotating the pan halfway during baking.

easy-no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-8

Meanwhile, make the icing by sifting 1 heaping cup of powdered sugar into a bowl…

easy-no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-9

… and combine it with 6 tablespoons of heavy cream and 3/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.

easy-no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-10

Whisk until smooth. It should be super thick so it can melt once it tops the hot cinnamon rolls.

no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls-l-simplyscratch-com-5

They should come out bubbling, gooey and smelling amazing!

Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls l SimplyScratch.com

Pour the icing over top of the hot, straight-from-the-oven cinnamon rolls.

This is without a doubt my favorite part.

Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls l SimplyScratch.com

Oh yes yes yes.

Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls l SimplyScratch.com

With one day left of 2016 I’m going to splurge and do nothing but sit in my comfy clothes, drink coffee all day and write my year in review. Until then I’d love to know what are some recipes you would like to see in 2017!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Enjoy!

Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls l SimplyScratch.com

My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!

Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls

Easy no yeast cinnamon rolls means you can enjoy freshly baked cinnamon rolls in an hour! No double rising! This is my husbands Great Grandmothers recipe and I'm so happy and honored to share it with you!

Yield: 12 cinnamon rolls

6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

3/4 cup cold whole milk

FOR THE ICING:

1 heaping cup powdered sugar, sifted

6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 375°.

In a small sauce pan melt 6 tablespoons of butter. Measure a tablespoon into a 9-inch deep-sided pie dish and brush the bottom and sides generously.

Pour the remaining butter into a small bowl with both sugars, cinnamon and salt. Stir until combined and set aside.

In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and drop in the 6 tablespoons of cold butter. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture. Once it resembles small peas, pour in the milk. Use a rubber spatula to combine. Use hand to gently need any loose flour/butter pieces into dough. DO NOT OVER WORK.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 10 x 6 rectangle. Pour the filling mixture onto the dough and use an offset spatula to spread the filling to the edges of the dough.

Starting at one side, roll the dough tightly, going back and forth until the dough is in a log shape. Place the roll onto a parchment lined small sheet pan and place in the freezer for 10 minutes. This will make slicing the cinnamon rolls easier.

Place in prepared pan and bake on the middle rack of your oven for 28 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.

While the rolls are in the oven baking, start making the icing by combining the sifted powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract.

Once the cinnamon rolls are golden, remove and instantly pour the icing over top. Use an offset spatula to carefully spread the icing evenly.

Serve immediately.

Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls l SimplyScratch.com

25 Responses to “Easy No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls”

Stephanie — December 31, 2016 at 8:10 am

These look delightful! I swear I could smell them cooking while I was reading the article!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 1st, 2017 @ 3:24 pm

Thank you, Stephanie! Happy New Year <3

Pam Kaufman — December 31, 2016 at 9:38 am

They look delicious! I love that there is no yeast so I could whip up a batch anytime without waiting for them to rise. Definitely going to make them soon!

Susan — December 31, 2016 at 9:57 am

These are very much like what I used to make with Bisquick, seemingly a million years ago, though I never knew to cut them, and never did icing. Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of references to cinnamon rolls, which makes me crave them (don’t need them!), so I might have to give in and make these. My husband would probably love the icing, because he’s a big fan of sugar, but I would put the icing only on half the rolls because I know I would like them better without. Actually, I had been thinking about those old cinnamon rolls and thinking about how to make them without the commercial mix. Thank you for ending my year on such a happy note.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 1st, 2017 @ 3:22 pm

Happy New Year, Susan! I hope you love the recipe! 🙂

Shelby Brisendine — January 1, 2017 at 5:19 am

One food dream has just come true! Thank you for this recipe! Cannot wait to make it!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 1st, 2017 @ 3:12 pm

Oh I’m so glad!! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!!

LINDA — January 1, 2017 at 12:04 pm

These Cinnamon Rolls are amazing! Tender, delicious, and easy. I will never need to make the yeast variety again. Because I had a hankering for the Cinnabon flavor, I did use some cream cheese in my icing! Yummmm, Laurie! Thank you for sharing this heirloom recipe.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 1st, 2017 @ 3:12 pm

I’m so glad you tried them!!! <3

Ashley — January 1, 2017 at 6:12 pm

This morning I was lamenting the lack of cinnamon rolls in my life and wishing I could make some without all the hassle. I sighed, and decided to check my favorite cooking blog to find something else fun to bake. Lo and behold, the most recent post was this!!! I added some pecans to the filling and was short on butter so I replaced a little in the filling with coconut oil. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. Mine don’t look quite as pretty as yours, but OMG I am in heaven. My year is off to a great start, thank you for this!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 5th, 2017 @ 9:07 am

I LOVE that you added pecans! Happy New Year, Ashley!

Shelby Brisendine — January 11, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Laurie, made this recipe today. Using gluten free flour did not work for me.
    My rolls became crisps. Will make again using regular flour. The reason for my comment is that in the list you have baking powder which I used, and in the directions you mention baking soda. Also, I baked at 350. Did not see a temperature listed for the oven. Is 350 correct?

PS – Even though they were crispy, they still tasted good.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 11th, 2017 @ 11:52 pm

Hi Shelby! It’s definitely baking powder and not soda. Gah! Sometimes I think my fingers have a mind of their own! Thanks for the heads up and bake at 375°. Enjoy!! 🙂

Laura — July 13, 2017 at 7:40 am

Love the look of these cinnamon rolls! Oh my yum! I’m certain that my husband will agree when I make them this weekend. Quick question though, can I prep them to the point of cooking, put them in the fridge overnight, and cook them the next morning?

Sharon — November 26, 2017 at 3:23 pm

We love them!! Thank you for sharing

• Laurie McNamara replied: — November 29th, 2017 @ 7:59 am

I’m so glad, Sharon!

Miranda — December 9, 2017 at 1:31 pm

I just made these and they are super delicious !!! They are like a fluffy pancake to me and my kids devoured them and said they where the best cinnamon rolls ever !!!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — December 11th, 2017 @ 8:14 am

This makes my heart happy, Miranda! Thank you for taking the time to make this recipe and coming back to leave your comment! ❤️

Christine Papasian — December 24, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Just made this today for a Christmas Eve treat. I cannot believe how amazing these are!! Very moist and delicious!! The best thing is i had every ingredient already on hand, easy and delicious. Will make these again.

Kat — December 27, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Gluten free option
    1. Follow filling and frosting recipes as is then follow dough recipe as is, but replace wheat flour with 1 to 1 gluten free flour and add 4 extra tablespoons of butter (This makes the dough more pliable and far less likely to crack as you roll it up and less dry after baked, as gluten free baked goods tend to be)
    2. Roll out in between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Once rolled to desired rectangle, sprinkle some flour and rub over one side of the rectangle. Then, carefully flip over, using the parchment paper. Put filling on non floured side. The flour on the bottom will allow you to roll it up without sticking to your hands or the parchment paper… the added butter makes the dough a bit more sticky but keeps it all together with no cracking.
    3. Put roll in freezer for 10-15 min, following original recipe directions… makes cutting the roll much easier. However, I cut my pieces 1.5 to 2in thick each… due to no yeast, they don’t rise and therefore cutting too thin can result in cinnamon roll cookies instead of yummy, gooey rolls.
    4. Bake at 300 degrees, for 33-35min. (Crisp top, clean toothpick)
    4. Lightly butter the rolls immediately after removing from oven and then follow butter with your frosting. Let rest 5-10min before serving.

• Kat replied: — December 27th, 2017 @ 3:08 pm

Ps I’m the only one in my house with food allergies, yet everyone loved them and had no idea I substituted the flour. Great recipe!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 3rd, 2018 @ 8:44 am

Thank you for the GF adaptation, Kat! You’re awesome! Happy New Year!

Fran — December 28, 2017 at 1:30 pm

The best word to describe these cinnamon rolls is AWESOME! We had every intention of making them Christmas morning, but time slipped away. So we designated today as Cinnamon Roll Day. They were easy to make and we have devoured the entire pan of rolls in just minutes. There’s no doubt we will be making them again….soon!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 3rd, 2018 @ 8:42 am

Yay! I’m so happy to hear it, Fran! Happy New Year!