Dublin Coddle

For those who may not be familiar with this dish, I’d like to introduce you to what I like to call… cozy-comfort in a pot. Also known as Dublin Coddle.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (24)

Dublin because it’s Irish. Coddle because it’s cooked low and sloooooowly.

Essentially Dublin Coddle is an Irish, one-pot collaboration of bacon, pork sausage, potatoes and onions.  Ummm-YES! The simple basic pantry and fridge ingredients are layered in a large heavy pot and slowly cooked in the oven until perfection. I found out about Dublin Coddle via the internet last year when searching for St. Patrick’s Day dinner ideas and as you can guess… I bookmarked it in my brain to make and share with you.

It’s not quite March yet but on these cold nights what’s better than a hearty meal of meat and potato washed down with a Guinness? Nada.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (24)

I ladled all this steamy goodness into bowls and served it with roasted Brussels sprouts and hunks of torn bread. After the dishes were done I curled up on the couch under 7 blankets and napped this meal off. If that’s even a thing. (please let it be a thing)

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (1)

Cut 10 strips of thick, slab bacon into 1-inch pieces.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (2)

Place the bacon pieces into a large 5-quart Dutch oven and heat over medium to medium-low.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (3)

In the meantime peel 3-1/2 pounds of russet potatoes. I like to leave a little skin on so it looks rustic.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (4)

Slice each potato into 4 to 5 slices depending on the size of the potato. Keep them on the large side so they don’t turn to absolute mush in the oven. Place those into a bowl and move right on.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (9)

Finely mince 2 tablespoons of parsley.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (11)

And slice up 4 small-to-medium-ish or 2 good size yellow onions into rings.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (5)

And buy GOOD pork sausage. I stopped by my favorite butcher/market because they carry all different kinds of sausages and picked up their house-made rustic version. But, feel free to use your favorite!

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (6)

Once the bacon is cooked and crispy…

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (10)

…use a slotted spoon and transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. You know the drill… we’ve done this a time or two-hundred.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (7)

To give the sausage a little color, lay them down into the hot bacon fat…

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (8)

Browning on both sides until deeply golden.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (12)

Remove the sausages to a cutting board…

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (14)

Remove the pot off of the heat so the browned bits stuck on the bottom don’t burn.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (13)

Cut each of the sausages into thirds.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (15)

Layer in the onions, a pinch of black pepper and a sprinkle of parsley.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (16)

Next add in the bacon…

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (17)

Sausages and another sprinkle of parsley…

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (18)

Then lastly add the potatoes, a pinch (or two) of both kosher salt and black pepper and the remaining minced parsley.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (19)

Cover with 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth…

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (20)

Cover and bring the liquids to a boil before sliding into a preheated 300 degree oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (21)

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (22)

Give it a toss, sprinkle with more parsley for a pop of green and coarse ground black pepper if you’re up to it and then serve immediately, piping hot.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (23)

Can I just say crusty bread is a total must for sopping up the heavenly broth?! Unless you prefer to tip the bowl back and sip. Be my guest… you can’t really go wrong either way.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (25)

One pot. One fabulous dinner.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (27)

And helloooo…. bacon and pork sausage in one meal is basically food nirvana. Do it.

Dublin Coddle l SimplyScratch.com  (26)

Dublin Coddle

An Irish, one-pot collaboration of bacon, pork sausage, potatoes and onions.

Yield: 4 to 6 depending

Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours

10 strips Applewood Slab Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces

1-3/4 pound (about 5) quality Pork Sausage

4 small Yellow Onions, sliced

2 tablespoons minced fresh Parsley

3-1/2 pounds Russet Potatoes, roughly peeled

Kosher Salt

Black Pepper

2 cups low-sodium Chicken Broth

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Place bacon into a 5-quart Dutch oven and heat over medium to medium-low until cooked and crispy, about 18-20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.

Sear sausages for 3 to 4 minutes on both sides. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into thirds.

Remove the pot from the burner and layer, onions with a pinch of salt and parsley, bacon, sausages, more parsley, potatoes and then a few pinches of both salt and pepper and the remaining minced parsley.

Pour broth over top, cover and place back onto burner. Bring liquids to a boil before transferring pot to preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.

Remove and ladle into bowls with a little of the broth abd serve immediately with crusty bread.

24 Responses to “Dublin Coddle”

KathrynR @ anotherfoodieblogger@wordpress.com — February 25, 2015 at 2:03 am

OMG to die for, thanks! I think I’ll throw this in my repertoire! Bacon, potatoes, pork? What is not to love???

Elizabeth — February 25, 2015 at 7:15 am

Looks great thanks..I will use chicken sausage & leave out the bacon..a bit healthier lol

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 25th, 2015 @ 9:33 am

Hi Elizabeth! The bacon does add a delicious smoky flavor… You could always cut back on the amount of bacon called for or even use good quality turkey bacon too! Enjoy!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — February 25, 2015 at 9:23 am

Yeah, I’m going to need the entire pot, please?!

Nancy Long — February 25, 2015 at 9:29 am

are you using breakfast sausage, Italian style or smoked sausage in this? I’ve never seen breakfast links this large, thanks

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 25th, 2015 @ 9:35 am

Great question Nancy! I’m using a rustic pork sausage that my favorite butcher shop makes. But in a pinch I would imagine a mild or hot Italian sausage could be substitute.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — February 25, 2015 at 1:19 pm

And the same goes for your dish today – ALLL of MY favorite things in one dish!! Wowzer!!

Elizabeth @ Pineapples and Polka Dots — February 25, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Wow, this definitely IS comfort food! My husband would love this dish. Thanks for sharing it!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — February 26, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Total comfort food! This is exactly what I would want to eat on a cold day!

Emmanuelle — March 1, 2015 at 3:15 am

Fantastic! I’m just heading to the kitchen to get it ready for lunch time… Lany thanks for sharing!

Tracy — March 3, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Do you drain any of the bacon fat? Looks wonderful.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 3rd, 2015 @ 9:57 pm

Hi Tracy! I do not ( I know!) but it adds so much delicious flavor to this dish. Enjoy!

Tracey Wright — March 12, 2015 at 11:57 am

HI –
    Sounds and looks YUMMY! Quick question – do I cover or not when I put the pot in the oven?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 12th, 2015 @ 12:00 pm

Hi Tracey! Oops! I’ll have to clarify in the post., but you’ll want to cover this bad boy! Enjoy!

Wendy Williams — March 12, 2015 at 7:06 pm

This looks delicious, but I do not have a dutch oven. I wonder if it could be made in a slow cooker?

Casey — March 15, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I’m making this right now and just woefully realized that I misread the recipe! I thought it only called for one pound of sausage! Darn it! Oh well, I’m sure it will still be delicious!

Jerf — March 17, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Have you ever tried putting Guinness in there? I’m going to try. 2:1 broth/Guinness? 1:1?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 19th, 2015 @ 11:51 am

I think that’s an excellent idea! I’d personally try it with 1 cup broth to 1 cup beer. Enjoy!

Carrie — March 18, 2015 at 5:46 am

I made this yesterday- added some sautéed kale, a handful of grated Irish cheddar cheese, and a bit of heavy cream. AWESOME. Thanks so much for the recipe!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 19th, 2015 @ 11:56 am

Genius! I love it!! (cheddar and cream makes everything better 😉 )

Betsy — March 19, 2015 at 9:46 am

Mine was very runny, was yours?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 19th, 2015 @ 11:54 am

Hi Betsy! There is some broth that is left over after cooking, maybe a cup or cup and a half left over? I spooned it over top of the potatoes and sausages and then mopped it up with bread 🙂

Candace — March 17, 2016 at 11:40 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was awesome!! So simple but my family loved loved loved it!! Thank You!!! This will be a family favorite from now on!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 21st, 2016 @ 7:40 am