Pomegranate Gin and Tonic

Celebrate good times with this pomegranate gin and tonic. Like birthdays and such. Birthdays that perhaps land on the 19th.

And today just might be mine. So we’re drinking.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (7)

Typically I don’t announce “heyyyy it’s my birrrrthday!” well not on my blog anyway, and I also don’t typically post adult bevys here either. Why is that? Maybe I’d like you to believe that I never age and maybe I prefer to keep my mid-day drinking to myself? JOKING. I really don’t know why this blog barely has a page of drinks… I should definitely work on that. Duly noted.

I’d also like to point out it’s been over 10 days and my basil plant is thriving in a vase on my counter.

Now let’s drink. And try not to laugh at my exploding ice cube tray.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (2)

So there I was meandering down the liquor isle and out of the corner of my eye I spied this dark green bottle with that wannabe wax stamped on it. So I bought it. I’m a total sucker for good packaging. After seeing the bottle of gin I vividly remember that gin and tonics were/are still my mom’s drink of choice next to a glass of red wine. She doesn’t drink much but I remember being little seeing her on Thanksgiving or Christmas stirring her gin and tonic with a gold sparkly swizzle stick. Wait, are they still called swizzle sticks? Yup, they sure are… I just Googled it. Anyway, I remember wanting a sip so badly because it looked so refreshing and I loved the sound of the ice cubes clanking around all those the fizzy bubbles.

Suddenly SO thirsty over here.

Memories had me feeling a little nostalgic and because my 34th birthday was looming…  I comforted myself and made cocktails.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (1)

So I got started early in the morning. No, not the drinking part but the ice cube making part. I poured a little tonic (sparkling water is pictured but that’s because I thought I had an extra Schwepp’s in our fridge downstairs, I was wrong so please forgive.) into each slot and froze them on a small sheet pan in the freezer for a few hours… until happy hour approached.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (3)

Drop a few of those tonic cubes into each glass.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (4)

Each glass gets 2 ounces of the dry gin.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (5)

Then pour 4 ounces of tonic into both.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (6)

Lastly top each glass off with pomegranate juice.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (8)

Insert swizzle sticks or in my case paper straws. Note to self: buy swizzle sticks {or swipe them from my mom}.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (9)

And sip. Awh-wait. I almost forgot one key ingredient.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (10)

Zee lime. Gin and tonics require a squeeze of fresh lime to be complete… it’s an absolute MUST and plus it totally works with the pomegranate.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (11)

Happy Friday.

Happy Birthday.

Happy Hour.

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic l SimplyScratch.com (7)

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic

Classic gin and tonic with a pomegranate splash.

Yield: 2 beverages

Prep Time: 4 hours {if making ice cubes}

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours 5 minutes

4 ounces Dry Gin, divided

8 ounces Tonic Water, plus more for ice cubes

Pomegranate Juice

Lime Wedges

Swizzle Sticks {optional}

Pour tonic water into ice cube trays and freezer for 4 hours.

Drop ice cubes into glasses, top with 2 ounces of gin each, 4 ounces of tonic water and a splash {or two} of Pomegranate juice. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime and sip responsibly.

29 Responses to “Pomegranate Gin and Tonic”

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — September 19, 2014 at 12:47 am

Happy Birthday!! Tonic ice cubes are seriously genius. I’m so excited to make this! Love the color.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2014 @ 12:28 pm

Thank you so much Liz!

Stacey — September 19, 2014 at 7:20 am

Happy Birthday 🙂 Hope to see you soon to celebrate!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2014 @ 12:27 pm

That would be fabulous! 🙂

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — September 19, 2014 at 11:49 am

Happy Birthday, my Sweet. I just got turned on to gin and tonics a couple of years ago. I realized I had been missing out. This are red wine color gorgeous by the way. I like your version. I have to get some swizzle sticks too. And some little paper umbrellas. Makes it very festive.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2014 @ 12:27 pm

Thank you so much Carol! I love the paper umbrellas idea… I’m putting those on my list as well 🙂

Cassie — September 19, 2014 at 11:56 am

Happy hour time!! I love these. And this might sound silly – but I am loving those giant ice cubes!

Cassie — September 19, 2014 at 11:58 am

Oh yeah. and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2014 @ 12:26 pm

Thanks Cassie! <3

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — September 19, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Happy Birthday! I’d totally drink this gin and tonic. I think gin is making a a huge comeback lately!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2014 @ 12:26 pm

Thank you Kelli! 🙂

Julie Quick — September 19, 2014 at 1:40 pm

The next time you do a drink post, invite me over. I would hate for you to have to drink both of those yourself. 😉 Happy Birthday!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

You got it! THANK YOU! <3

DJ — September 19, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Happy Birthday! Try Tanqueray’s Rangpur next time..Yumm

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

Thank you DJ! And I will for sure!

Md White — September 19, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I love Tanqueray. And your PG&T looks delish! Gonna have to find some Pomegranate juice asap. Happy Birthday!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2014 @ 12:24 pm

Thank you! 🙂

• Wendy Daggett replied: — October 13th, 2017 @ 8:00 pm

Produce department!!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — September 20, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Beautiful!!! Love the color Laurie!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 21, 2014 at 2:46 am

Happy Birthday! Mine was this past week as well. This is the perfect drink to celebrate with!

ATasteOfMadness — September 21, 2014 at 7:08 am

Happy birthday! These drinks look like a perfect celebration!

mentorian — September 21, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Try G&T with Tanqueray, Schweppes Indian Tonic, and…. 2-3 leaves of fresh basil…

Happy Belated Birthday — September 22, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Mine was on the 18th. Love your site.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 23rd, 2014 @ 12:14 am

Happy belated to you as well!

Mairi Campbell — November 29, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Looking forward to trying this variation…I am a big g&t girl! And this solves one of my biggest dilemmas..what to do with those half-used cans of tonic water! I always buy cans, as the 2 litre bottles go flat so quickly. But sometimes I have one and don’t feel like a second, then I am left with the dilemma of wasting half a can of tonic water or having another gin which I don’t need…which is a more expensive waste. Problem solved, tonic ice cubes it is! Thanks!

Sally — March 14, 2016 at 2:52 am

There’s a big problem with this recipe – Sparkling Water isn’t Tonic. The picture shows just sparkling water (aka club soda). Tonic has quinine in it, and will make a big difference in flavor.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 14th, 2016 @ 9:42 am

Hi Sally! I’m a HUGE G&T fan so I’m totally aware they are different. This post was from a few years ago but I recall that day thinking I had an extra bottle of tonic in our fridge downstairs, when it was actually sparkling water. It was my birthday so I just went with it. In the end it all worked out because either way you make these both taste fabulous. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

Barbara Durham — March 30, 2017 at 4:51 pm

As a G&T addict, I want to try this BUT! You have to say what size glass that is so I know just how much pomegranate juice is “topping it off”.
    Barb

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 31st, 2017 @ 4:38 pm

I can’t remember the size of the glass. But I usually eyeball all of the ingredients anyways! Sorry 🙂