Orecchiette Bolognese

This orecchiette bolognese is a deliciously hearty and comforting dish that will no doubt fill your home with an amazing and cozy aroma!

It’s that time of year. The excitement of the holidays is over. Target has out the bathing suits, Valentine’s Day stuff and I’m sure Easter decorations aren’t too far off… and it’s still January.

Tasty Kitchen Blog Orecchiette Bolognese 14

And I don’t know about you, but here in the mitten… it’s bitter cold.

Tasty Kitchen Blog Orecchiette Bolognese 06

I can’t think of anything better than a pot of a meaty, flavorful Bolognese sauce bubbling on the stove top to warm me up. Just the scent alone is amazing… but a forkful of saucy pasta  washed down with a glass of wine is the ultimate. Insta-cozy.

Tasty Kitchen Blog Orecchiette Bolognese 10

I’ve already made this Bolognese recipe a handful of times and it has quickly become a family favorite. I’ve made it with spaghetti, mini ziti and I have to say, I like the orecchiette best. Probably because they’re like little sauce cups and they collect the sauce beautifully… plus they’re cute. #letsbereal

Tasty Kitchen Blog Orecchiette Bolognese 13

I could not wait to share this on Tasty Kitchen. Nam from The Culinary Chronicles is a genius and this sauce is amazing! I hope you give this sauce a whirl and if you do please let me know! We can virtually high-five or something.

Orecchiette Bolognese l www.SimplyScratch.com

For the recipe and step-by-step head on over to the TK blog and I’ll walk you through it!

Enjoy!

19 Responses to “Orecchiette Bolognese”

Aparna B. — January 23, 2014 at 8:12 am

I saw this on the TK blog! Love it. It looks so beautiful, too. I could easily see myself making this, but making a mushroom or vegetable bolognese to make it vegetarian!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 23rd, 2014 @ 10:03 am

Thank you! I really love the mushroom idea!!

Liz@Virtually Homemade — January 23, 2014 at 9:53 am

Bolognese is my absolute favorite! Looks beautiful.

Happy Valley Chow — January 23, 2014 at 10:52 am

I love LOVE a good bolognese, I don’t know what it is…I feel like it’s the carrot that just does so much for the sauce. This looks absolutely fantastic, great job 🙂

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

• simplyscratch replied: — January 23rd, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

Thank you! I agree… there’s just something magical about the sauce and I’m betting it’s either the carrots or the wine 😉 !

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I am literally drooling!! Perfect for this freezing weather!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 23rd, 2014 @ 1:22 pm

Amen, sister!

Diana — January 23, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Wow, this looks amazing! This is probably a culinary faux pas but can the red wine be substituted with anything else? (I don’t drink and so I don’t ever have alcohol/wines on hand…)

• simplyscratch replied: — January 23rd, 2014 @ 1:11 pm

Great question Diana! I don’t see why not… I would just swap it with beef broth and you should be fine, Thanks for stopping by!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — January 23, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Oh YUM. I love orecchiette for the same reasons you do — and with bolognese sauce? Major swoon.

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — January 23, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Pure comfort food! Ideal for this FREEZING weather.

SarahJane — January 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I’m in Sconnie, too! It’s so, so cold… But I kind of love it. Good excuse to stay home and cook comfort food. 🙂

Kathryn — January 23, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Orecchiette is pretty much my favourite pasta too – so good with a hearty sauce like this.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 23, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Pasta + wine = the perfect winter cure! This sauce looks heavenly!

Rabeea — January 24, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Hi Laurie! I have a couple of questions. Celery is not available where I live so is there any other vegetable I could use? Or just leave out the celery? Also I do not have any alcohol, any substite for the wine? Love your blog btw!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 12:03 am

Thanks Rabeea! I would just exclude the celery all together and use beef broth in replacement of the wine. Enjoy!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — January 29, 2014 at 10:29 am

This looks SO GOOD. I’m craving bolognese like crazy now. I agree about the orecchiette too. It’s perfect for collecting sauces. Pinning this to make for later!

stacey — February 4, 2014 at 8:40 am

This dish is soooooo yummy and warming! Perfect for this winter apocalypse we are having!! Definitely a comfort food and will be served in our house again and again!!! 🙂

Susan P — February 10, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Laurie, I made this last night for dinner and it’s amazing. My family absolutely loved it. Have never made a sauce like this before. I will be coming back to it many times I’m sure. Thanks for sharing.