Grilled Artichoke Hummus

This grilled artichoke hummus is scrumptious! Grilled artichoke hearts add a delicious layer of flavor to your traditional hummus!

Let’s talk Super Bowl.

This is the one and only time in the football season that I’m actually excited for Sunday football. Because the Super Bowl means it’s coming to an end.

Grilled Artichoke Hummus l www.SimplyScratch.com #dip #hummus #healthy

No more Sundays wasted because it’s “football Sunday”. Definitely no annoying football pregame analysis or getting scared out of my skin because Pat yelled at the TV. No more football. Period. Can you tell I’m just a little excited?

Even though I may not be a fan of football, I am however a fan of the food. Duh. I was asked to create a recipe featuring Cara Mia grilled artichoke hearts and for some reason hummus came to mind. Maybe I was subliminally thinking of the Super Bowl? Yeah, probably not. But I do like snacks and I do like hummus so why not?

chick peas

It starts with a can of chickpeas, drained. I reserve the fluid to thin it out a little later.

_DSC0469

Roughly chop a cup of grilled artichokes. I’m using Cara Mia jarred grilled artichokes {available at select Walmart stores and Stater Bros. Markets}. If you can’t get your hands on grilled artichokes, then any ones will do. You could even brush them with olive oil and grill them yourself. But since it’s winter in Michigan most days are in the negatives outside. So these jarred artichokes have the char from the grill minus me having to risk frost bitten, well, anything. Be sure to reserve a tablespoon or so of chopped artichokes for garnishing later.

artichokes in the bowl

Throw the chopped artichokes into your food processor with the chickpeas.

tahini

Add in the 5 tablespoons of tahini plus two tablespoons of olive oil…

garlic

Two cloves fresh garlic…

salt and red pepper flakes

Next a half teaspoon of kosher salt and a 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. {I almost accidentally wrote ‘1/4 cup of red pepper flakes’, could you even imagine?!}

zest

1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest…

lemon juice

And then add in 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.

scrape down and puree til smooth

Pulse, scraping down the sides in between and if you feel it’s too thick, then thin out with a few splashes of the chickpea liquid until you’ve reached the desired consistency.

Grilled Artichoke Hummus l www.SimplyScratch.com #hummus #artichoke

Serve with reserved artichokes, minced parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Oh and some kind of chip, cracker or vegetable so you can get your snack on. Unless, of course you’re snacking alone, then fingers are always optional… just kidding. Maybe.

The grilled artichokes add a nice and delicious artichoke-y touch to regular hummus! So easy and so unexpected!

If you love football then I hope you enjoy Sunday’s game… if you don’t watch it {high-five!}, then at least enjoy some good snacks!

Enjoy!

_DSC0773

Grilled Artichoke Hummus

Grilled artichoke hearts add a delicious layer of flavor to your traditional hummus! Serve with toasted pita, sesame crackers or vegetables.

Yield: 2 cups approximately

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

1 heaping cup Cara Mia Grilled Artichoke Hearst, Plus more for garnish

1 {15 ounce} can Chickpeas, drained {reserve chickpea liquid}

5 tablespoons Tahini

3 tablespoons Lemon, juice

2 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus more for garnish

1/4 teaspoon fresh grated Lemon Zest

2 cloves of garlic

1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt, more or less for taste

1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, more or less to taste

2 teaspoons Minced Fresh Italian Parsley, for garnish

NOTE: I have an on-going partnership with STAR Fine Foods for recipe development, this post is sponsored by them but as always my thoughts are my own and I truly love their products.

Roughly chop up a cup of grilled artichoke hearts and add them to the bowl of your food processor, reserve a few tablespoons for garnishing at the end.

Next, add in the chickpeas, chopped garlic, tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, red pepper flakes and salt.

Pulse until smooth, use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the processor bowl halfway through. If you notice it's a little on the thick side, you can drizzle in some of the reserved chickpea liquid and continue to pulse until smooth.

Once smooth, spoon the hummus into a bowl, topped it with reserved chopped grilled artichokes, minced fresh parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.

Serve with pita chips, sesame crackers or fresh veggies!

22 Responses to “Grilled Artichoke Hummus”

Krista — January 30, 2014 at 7:34 am

I had to laugh at your excitement for the
    Football season to be over. Wasted Sundays
    is exactly how I feel, too! We are supposed
    To be cleaning out our basement and my
    Husband wants to spend his time at a
    Super Bowl party. I’m glad someone else
    Feels the same. And of course artichokes
    With hummus sounds delicious. 🙂

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 30, 2014 at 8:30 am

I love this dip and I love those seedy crackers!!!!

Katrina @ WVS — January 30, 2014 at 8:44 am

This hummus sounds so lovely. Such a nice dip!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 10:13 am

Thanks Katrina!

Kathy F. — January 30, 2014 at 9:02 am

Looks and sounds awesome!!

Liz@Virtually Homemade — January 30, 2014 at 9:52 am

Yum! I love artichokes and this hummus looks amazing. Pinned 🙂

Gwen — January 30, 2014 at 9:54 am

This sounds delicious. I make a variation of hummus using sun-dried tomato pesto that is fabulous! I have definitely been known to think my own fingers are perfectly acceptable dipping tools. 😉

And if it makes you feel any better, I didn’t even know the Super Bowl was Sunday until I read this post!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 10:19 am

Oooh sun-dried tomato pesto in hummus sounds amazing!! I’ll definitely have to try it! And I’m so glad I’m not alone on the Super Bowl front… so not interested. At all! {except for the food… but that goes without saying, right?}

Have a great weekend Gwen!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — January 30, 2014 at 10:27 am

why have I never thought of this! artichokes are one of my favs, hummus is one of my favs, it’s so obvious!! yettt… genius? lol love love!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 10:13 am

Thanks Christine!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — January 30, 2014 at 11:06 am

What more could I ask for in a dip?!? I love Super Bowl because of all these dips – and because the Seahawks are playing – but after it’s over, I’m good waiting to hear about it again until next year!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 10:21 am

Me too {the dip reason of course 😉 } Ya know… I do believe my husband is hoping the Seahawks win… so I will too, for you both. XO

Tina Muir — January 30, 2014 at 11:16 am

That looks wonderful! So creamy, and love the idea of artichoke in there! Yum! I would love to give this a try! Both chickpeas and artichokes are foods I try to incorporate into my nutrition for my training as much as possible. Chickpeas especially are great runner foods!

Happy Valley Chow — January 30, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I love artichokes and this hummus sounds fantastic 🙂

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 30, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I love love love artichokes but would never have thought to add them to hummus. I’ll have to try this sometime!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 30, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Ya, I don’t love foot ball either, but I do love a good Super Bowl party, and I do loooooove this dip!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 10:19 am

See! This is why we are friends! 🙂

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 31, 2014 at 10:00 am

So, I basically fell out of my chair when I first heard about the grilled artichokes from STAR. Amazing idea for them, my friend!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 31st, 2014 @ 10:21 am

I know… they are so smart! Thank you Cassie! Xo

katie — January 31, 2014 at 1:47 pm

This looks amazing… I love artichoke dip and I love hummus–the best of both worlds!

1. Pingback: 21 DIPS THAT WOW | Best Friends For Frosting

2. Pingback: Easy Artichoke Gratin + A Cara Mia Giveaway!