Beef Stroganoff

If there was a list of the worlds least attractive meals… beef stroganoff would be on it. And it’s probably at the top.

Beef Stroganoff  www.SimplyScratch.com

Beef Stroganoff was one of the first recipes I remember making in my early twenties. It was super easy and it was 5 ingredients instead of 14… which consisted of; hamburger, noodles, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. It was pretty much grey on a plate. Gross.

So I’ still kept this recipe simple, I only jazzed it up to make it more “scratchy” and uh, duh delicious… unfortunately it’s still not a gorgeous dish, I mean you can’t put lipstick on a pig… but it sure does taste mighty fine. #cleanplateclub

ingredients

In this recipe a little roux plus fresh mushrooms, onions, garlic and beef broth replace the cream of mushroom soup and thin slices of steak replace the ground hamburger. There’s still sour cream… but that’s sort of a must, right? Oh! And there’s wine!

steak

You can use any really good steak. Today I’m using a ribeye only because I bought it for Pat to take up north to cook and eat while he was hunting. Since he didn’t end up grilling it and I really can’t let a good hunk of beef go to waste, so I thought why not make some strog?! But I personally prefer to use skirt or flank steak because it’s a little bit leaner.

cold steak

Start off with a chilled steak, straight out of the fridge.

slice

A cold steak is a lot easier to slice thin.

sliced

See?!

throw the beef in a bowl

Throw it into a bowl…

four and salt

Sprinkle with a half teaspoon of kosher salt and a heaping tablespoon of all purpose flour…

toss

Toss it all around to coat the steak.

prep prep

Now prep the veggies.

sliced mushrooms

Slice 4 to 5 mushrooms. I like crimini {baby portabellas} but button would work too.

diced onions

Slice and dice up a quarter cup {give or take} of a yellow onion. It’s roughly about half of a small onion.

chopped garlic

Then about a teaspoon of chopped garlic.

olive oil

Measure and add a couple tablespoons of olive oil into a 10-inch skillet and preheat over medium-high heat.

add meat to the hot pan

Add in the steak and let cook until a dark crust forms on the underneath.

mushrooms, onions and garlic

Give it a quick stir and add in the mushrooms, onions and garlic.

softened

Continue to cook until the mushrooms and onions are soft, which usually takes about 3-4 minutes.

transfer to a bowl

Transfer all that steak and mushroom goodness to a clean bowl and set it off to the side for a minute. I really could just eat this with a fork.

butter melting

Reduce the temperature of the pan to medium and give it a few minutes to cool down before adding two tablespoons of butter to the pan.

flour sprinkling

Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour…

whisk

And whisk, cooking the roux for a couple minutes.

add broth

Pour in the beef broth while whisking.

wine time

A quarter cup {give or take ;) } of a dry white wine, like pinot grigio. I thought I had some… but I only had sauvignon blanc… but trust me the pinot works best.

Worcestershire sauce

Lastly add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and give it a stir.

steak  mushrooms back in, salt and lots of black pepper

Reduce the temperature to low and add in the steak and mushrooms.

sour cream

Add about 3/4 cup of sour cream…

heat through

Stir to combine and then slowly heat through. Don’t bring to a boil or it could separate.

Beef Stroganoff ll www.SimplyScratch.com

See? So totally easy… and way better than opening a can.

Beef Stroganoff l www.SimplyScratch.com

I have always served my stroganoff with buttery sweet peas. And for some reason I can’t help but still mix them into my beef strog. I’m such a kid.

Enjoy!

Beef Stroganoff - www.SimplyScratch.com

Beef Stroganoff

The homemade version of a classic recipe!

Yield: 4 servings

1/4 cup Dry White Wine {Pinot Grigio}

1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

3/4 cup Sour Cream

Salt and Black Pepper, to taste

12 ounces Egg Noodles, cooked as directed on package

Chopped Fresh Parsley, for garnish

Slice up the steak into thin strips. Toss it in a bowl with 1/2 a teaspoon of kosher salt and 1 heaping tablespoon of all purpose flour. Set it off to the side so it comes up to room temperature {about 25 minutes}.

Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot add in the steak strips and let them cook undisturbed for 5 minutes so a brown crust forms.

After the time is up stir the steak strips and add in the sliced mushrooms, diced onions and chopped garlic. Stir and cook until the mushrooms and onions are soft. About 4 minutes.

Remove the beef and onion mixture to a clean bowl and set it off to the side.

Reduce the heat under the pan to medium and give it a chance to cool down before adding two tablespoons of butter. Once melted add in the 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour. Whisk and cook the roux for 2 minutes.

Pour in the beef broth and wine. Whisk and let it cook until thickened. Add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, the beef and mushroom mixture, season with salt and pepper and stir in 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sour cream.

Heat through and serve over cooked egg noodles.

33 Responses to “Beef Stroganoff”

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — November 6, 2013 at 7:16 am

I don’t know what you’re talking about, this looks incredible! If you ask me the dish which is extremely hard to take a good picture of is Boeuf Bourguignon. It’s just a brown, gooey mess. Your pictures look fantasitc.

Tieghan Gerard — November 6, 2013 at 8:40 am

Um…You sure may this look pretty dang gorgeous if you ask me! I would eat a plate any day! Your pictures make this stroganoff look just as amazing as it taste!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 8th, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

Thanks Tieghan!

Murphy — November 6, 2013 at 11:50 am

This was always a staple in my house when I was a kid, but I never liked any of the recipes (so many ingredients like you said above). This one looks good, can’t way to try it, love the pictures.
    I just bought a skirt steak to make some stir fry with snap peas…I wanted to try to get my husband to like peas but he put his foot down ha . So I’ll make this with it instead.

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — November 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I think you did a pretty darn good job at making me want this stroganoff. I haven’t made this in years and now I’m going to save this for later.

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — November 6, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I don’t care how unattractive it is, beef stroganoff is one of the best things in the world, ever. That’s how much I love it. Not even exaggerating. :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 7, 2013 at 3:16 am

Beef stroganoff is the bes! I can’t wait to try your version!

Connie — November 7, 2013 at 4:23 am

Ahhhh:) Pure comfort food. I love Stroganoff and especially with petit peas and butter. Thanks for a gorgeous recipe. Can’t wait to make it this weekend.

Jennie B — November 7, 2013 at 3:51 pm

What is the coversion for coconut flour instead of regular flour?

Jennie B — November 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Fabulous picture, by the way!!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 10:04 pm

Thanks Jennie!

Kelli H — November 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I just made this for dinner & my husband and I LOVED it! Now I have to make it for my dad because this is one of this favorite meals.

stacey — December 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Made this a couple of weeks ago and o.m.g. so yummy! Me and the hubby enjoyed it!

Maro — January 21, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I LOVE this recipe! I made it last night with some alterations for my current eating regimen, and it was still great! I subbed 0% greek yogurt with a small spoonful of LF cream cheese for the sour cream and used garbanzo flour so the whole stroganoff would be protein. i subbed mini-lasagne corn noodles for the egg noodles and they worked great! i probably used a little less oil (no butter, just canola) in both spots and slightly less wine to reduce sugar and fat content. i was really happy with it both last night and today for lunch. thanks!

Lubna — February 4, 2014 at 2:36 am

What can i use instead of wine? Please suggest. wanna make this tonight for dinner.
    My husband loves beef.. I love the way you have explained every detail of the procedures.

• simplyscratch replied: — February 4th, 2014 @ 10:39 am

Hi Lubna! Thanks! I would just use chicken broth :) Enjoy!

aida cadena — February 27, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Finally was able to get this recipe done and….WOW! Who knew this could be so good? Thanks for ANOTHER great recipe! YOU ROCK!

Veronica — March 11, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Made this for dinner exactly as written. Perfect amount for 2 if you use half the amount of egg noodles. Thanks for the recipe. I found it on Pinterest. Would definitely recommend and make again.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 11th, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

I’m so glad! Thank you Veronica!

Tiffany — April 28, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Excellent recipe…. One thing I did add instead of using white wine…. I used a red…..

Cyndy — June 9, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Absolutely delicious!!! I made this tonight and it was wonderful! I am new to your website but thoroughly enjoying it. I also made the Perfect Grilled Turkey Burgers last week and they were awesome!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 10th, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

Yay! I’m so glad Cyndy! enjoy!

Maria Alison @Ten at the Table — July 15, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Making this right now! It looks gorgeous!

Maralyn Woods — July 26, 2014 at 1:21 am

I’m so glad i found your blog. Because of sodium issues I have to make everything from scratch, even condiments, so this really helps. I love beef stroganoff. I learned to cook it back in the 60s and then it always contained dill. So without it it just doesn’t taste like stroganoff to me. As luck would have it I have some fresh dill in the fridge and a skirt steak in the freezer. Guess what I’m having for dinner tomorrow night? Thank you again for doing it all from scratch.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — July 30th, 2014 @ 9:14 am

I’m so glad too! Enjoy this yummy recipe Maralyn!

Heather — August 13, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Any idea on which gluten free flour alternative works best here?

Donna — September 17, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Just made it & it was fabulous!!

J Ponce — October 8, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Delicious!! I did this with left over crane asada steak that we made, and it worked wonderfully! I just skipped the step of cooking the meat before adding the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. :)

Patti — October 22, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Can you make this with beef stew meat?

Melissa — November 2, 2014 at 9:27 pm

This will now be my go-to Stroganoff recipe. Simple and quick and OMG so delicious. Thank you.

Laura — November 14, 2014 at 4:47 pm

First time on your website, and absolutely love that you do everything from scratch! I loved this recipe, I made it for myself, my boyfriend and his parents, with a few changes. I used dry sherry, venison backstrap, omitted the mushrooms (my boyfriend isn’t too fond of them), did not use parsley, and used safflower oil, and it was fantastic! I’m not too “familiar” in the kitchen, but I got great compliments and was told that it was definitely worthy of seconds. Thank you so so much!!

1. Pingback: 14 Delicious Beef Recipes - GleamItUp