Leftover Pot Roast + Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich

This pot roast cheddar grilled cheese is AMAZING! Leftover pot roast, topped with sauteed onions, cheddar and sandwiched between buttered bread and grilled.

Is it weird that I purposefully made pot roast so I could make this sandwich?

Pot Roast and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - www.SimplyScratch.com -

I was so excited that I went to bed at night thinking “Tomorrows the day! I’m making a pot roast grilled cheese!”  I just know all my fellow grilled cheese addicts are nodding their heads and totally picking up what I’m laying down. I mean it makes so much sense; saucy shredded beef, sandwiched between TWO layers of white cheddar, topped with sautéed onions and grilled on buttered bread until crispy and golden. Amazeballs, yeah I said it.

So as you can imagine I about died after the first bite. The beef. The cheese. The ONIONS! It’s crazy good and total comfort food in grilled cheese form. Which technically grilled cheese already is comfort food so this means this sammich has doubled the comfort factor. I believe this is just what you weekend needs.

butter

Like all good things, start with a couple tablespoons of butter in a skillet preheated on medium low heat.

slice thin

Halve and slice up a medium sized yellow onion very thin.

onions and salt

Throw them into to the buttery skillet and season with a couple pinches of kosher salt. Give them a toss in the butter and slowly cook them until they are soft and slightly golden.

sauteed

Once cooked, remove them to a plate for a second and move onto the bread buttering and sandwich building.

buttered

Butter thy bread.  I used whole grain bread; ya know that sort of bread that’s sturdier and can handle the load better then let’s say your typical white bread.

pot roast

Top with a slice of white cheddar and copious amounts of shredded pot roast. Ohhhhhhh yes.

more cheddar and the onions

Top each sandwich with a second slice of cheddar and divide the sautéed onions among the two sandwiches.

grill it

Grill them until golden or slightly burnt if you’re like me, flip and repeat. :p

cut

So cheesy.

Totally amazing.

Very comforting.

Did I mention cheesy?

Enjoy!

Pot Roast Grilled Cheese l www.SimplyScratch.com

{Leftover} Pot Roast Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Take your pot roast leftovers to a whole new level.

Yield: 2 sandwiches

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 5-8 minutes

Total Time: 25-30 minutes

1 medium yellow onion, peeled, halved and sliced thin

2 pinches Kosher Salt

2 tablespoons Butter, plus more for buttering bread

4 slices Whole Grain Bread

4 slices of White Cheddar

1-1/2 cups {give or take} Leftover Shredded Pot Roast {recipe link is in the above post}

In a 10 inch skillet add the two tablespoons of butter. Heat over medium-low heat until melted.

Add in the sliced onion and a couple pinches of salt and stir to coat in the butter. Let the onions cook slowly, stirring occasionally until they are soft and lightly golden.

Butter the bread and top two of the un-buttered sides with a slice of cheddar, the shredded pot roast, more cheddar and dived the sautéed onions among the two sandwiches.

In the same skillet the onions were cooked in; add the sandwich, butter-side down and cook until deeply golden. Flip and repeat. Do the same for the next sandwich.

Cut in half and serve.

Enjoy!

25 Responses to “Leftover Pot Roast + Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich”

Tieghan Gerard — October 11, 2013 at 8:09 am

Heck yes, Laurie! This is awesome!

Elle — October 11, 2013 at 8:33 am

Yum this looks perfect!

• simplyscratch replied: — October 11th, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

Thanks Elle!

Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens — October 11, 2013 at 9:00 am

It is so totally NOT weird to make pot roast just so you could eat this sandwich – that’s absolutely the sort of thing I would do, too! We have an awesome restaurant near us that specializes in mind-blowingly delicious and creative grilled cheese sammies – the kind that incorporate lasagna or pierogies or cornbread fritters with other amazing ingredients to create edible masterpieces. Yeah – they totally need this sandwich on their menu! Awesome! 😀

• simplyscratch replied: — October 11th, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

PHEWW! I’m so glad we’re on the same page. And that restaurant is SO my kind of place!

Robby — October 11, 2013 at 9:06 am

Clearly pot roast on the menu is now a done deal. Maybe I can add a few sauteed mushrooms and pretend this killer sandwich has veggies, too.

Ali @ Inspiralized — October 11, 2013 at 9:35 am

WHAT! This looks absolutely amazing. I think you’ve combined two of the best meals in the world! So cool. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — October 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oh. My. Gosh. I mean…. just…. *faints from happiness*

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — October 11, 2013 at 11:43 am

I agree – complete amazeballs! This is what needs to happen with all left over pot roast.

Muna Kenny — October 11, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Laurie, this sandwich looks so cheesy. Love it!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm

This is really depressing me about the lunch I just had. I wish I had this instead!! 😉

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 12, 2013 at 1:24 am

What a perfect way to use up leftover pot roast!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — October 12, 2013 at 11:03 am

yums the word!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — October 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I might make a pot roast just for this sandwich! Fabulous!!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 13, 2013 at 1:36 am

Ah! I just threw away left over pot roast because it had been in the fridge for too long. I will never make that mistake again! This looks so good!

Shelby — October 13, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Would you believe I just had a similar sandwich at an Asheville,NC restaurant for lunch on Friday? Oh my, it was so good. Besides the meaty part it had four types of cheese. Great minds are all around. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes!

BJ — October 14, 2013 at 10:16 am

Yeh, baby! Made pulled pork barbque for company & football last night – and this sandwich was all I could think of. Can’t wait for dinner tonight! Thanks for the fantabulous idea.

Des — October 15, 2013 at 1:02 am

GIRL! Why did I not see this sooner?!? I JUST made pot roast last night and used it tonight in a quick pot roast stir-fry. It was delicious but man, pot roast grilled cheese?!? THAT would have been perfect. Looks like I’m making pot roast again next week.

• simplyscratch replied: — October 15th, 2013 @ 1:16 am

I hope your stir-fry recipe will be on your blog! I’ll make pot roast just for that any day!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — October 22, 2013 at 12:14 pm

My tummy is demanding one of these immediately. I must fulfill its request.

Jayne — September 30, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Tomorrow is grocery day. Went to Google to find something to do with my leftover pot roast and onions. Made this and it was amazing! Thanks.

Jennifer — October 2, 2014 at 12:40 am

I made these tonight for dinner. I added mushrooms with the sauteed onions and spread minced garlic on the bread. We are huge fans of garlic! They were sooooo delicious. My whole family LOVED them! Thanks for the recipe. We enjoyed our meal!

Rose — November 30, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I am going to do this for dinner, with a twist. I am going to make this in/on flour tortillas. I am out of bread.

Thank you for this idea!! I am ready to consume excessive amounts of comfort 🙂

1. Pingback: Tuesday Gratitude | Fay's Notebook

2. Pingback: Salsa Verde Steak Sandwiches {Fridays with Rachael Ray} - Taste and Tell