Crock Pot Taco Chili

So I’m sort of writing this post mid crock-potting.

Crockpot Taco Chili ll www.SimplyScratch.com

I just pulled the lid off of the slow cooker and gave the chili a (second} sampling. Oh my heavens. This chili recipe was a “hmmm let’s see if I have what it takes to make a taco chili” and a “since I’m really trying to love the crock pot… why not put it in there” sort of deal. And well it’s the real deal taco chili from scratch. Well, sure I opened a few *cough* six *cough* cans… but there’s not a single taco packet required.

I love this chili, and I have to admit… it’s taco-y but still retains the credibility to call it chili. In fact, I’d like to rename this taco chili to “tachili” or… hmmm…. how about, nope… only tachili comes to mind.

But I highly recommend making this Mexican sweet corn cake and add it into the chili… SO.GOOD.

the taco chili goods

So gather your taco goodies and let’s get crock-potting!

diced onion and garlic

Dice up 1 medium onion and 2-3 cloves of peeled garlic.

coarsely chop green chile

Grab a couple of the whole green chiles out of the can and give them a dice too. I prefer to chop my own chileps… but I don’t see why you couldn’t use already chopped green chiles. I just like to chop I think.

hot pan, oil, ground round and onions

In a deep skillet heated over medium-high heat, add olive oil or butter and then the ground round and onion.

garlic

Once the ground beef is cooked and the onion is soft and translucent, add in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. You could even do this step the night before and add everything in the morning before heading out the door.

strain and add to crock pot

Use a slotted spoon to drain the meat from the fat and then transfer the ground beef/onion mixture to the crock pot. {If a little fat get’s into the pot, it won’t hurt a thing :)}

add the drained beans

Add in the drained and rinsed beans.

chopped green chiles

Then the chopped green chiles…

add the corn

The corn…

the seasonings

The spices and seasonings…

quick stir

Give that a quick stir before…

add the fire roasted diced tomatoes

Adding the fire-roasted, diced tomatoes…

tomato sauce

And lastly, add the 32 ounces of tomato sauce.

stir

And give that a big ol’ stir. Set the crock pot to low for 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.

chopped cilatntro

Once the chili is all hot and bubbly and right before serving add in a handful of chopped cilantro and give it one last stir.

Crockpot Taco Chili  www.SimplyScratch.com

I’m really excited that it’s finally chilly enough for chili. There’s nothing better than a big bowl of chili on a cool day.

This taco chili is SUPER easy and SUPER delicious; I even ate the leftovers for four days after we had it for dinner annnnd I still wasn’t sick of it. I love the flavors in this chili and then all the toppings you can add… like a little sour cream, olives, tortilla chips and a hunk of this and I’m in heaven.

bite of chili mmmm!

How do you make a bite of chili look good… you don’t… it just is.

Crockpot Taco Chili - www.SimplyScratch.com

Crock Pot Taco Chili

Taco goodness thrown into the crock pot, making this an easy dinner for a busy week!

Yield: 6-8 servings

3/4 teaspoon Black Pepper

1 teaspoon Paprika

1 teaspoon Oregano, ground in the palm of your hand

1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder

1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder

2 pinches {more or less} Red Pepper Flakes

In a deep 10 inch skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high. Once hot add in the ground round and onions. After a brown crust forms on the bottom of the ground beef, use a wooden spatula to break up the ground round.

Reduce the temperature to medium and cook the onions and the beef together until the onions are soft and the beef is fully cooked. Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.

Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beef/onion mixture to your cock pot. Add in the beans, chiles, corn, seasonings and add in the cans of diced tomato and tomato sauce. Stir to incorporate all of the ingredients.

Set your crock pot on High for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours... depending on your day.

Serve this yummy taco chili with sour cream, black olives, a little diced red onion, Mexican sweet corn cake {link in the post} tortilla chips and/or a few torn cilantro leaves. Really, anything your heart desires!

Enjoy!

36 Responses to “Crock Pot Taco Chili”

Steph (Poupetteinthekitchen) — September 16, 2013 at 6:53 am

This is triply exciting!!!

1- this recipe is awesome!
    2- I get to try my new gravatar!
    3- this is going to push me over the edge and I’m going to HAVE to get me a crockpot :D (I’ve been toying with the idea since I bought country style ribs a couple weeks ago…)

hehe
    Steph

• simplyscratch replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 9:48 am

Thanks Steph! Love the picture toO!

.Rina@Itheecook — September 16, 2013 at 7:21 am

There is nothing better than a nice bowl of warm chili during this season!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 9:47 am

I agree! :)

Tieghan Gerard — September 16, 2013 at 8:13 am

Taco chili? Seriously, that sounds totally awesome. How have I never made a taco chili. We love tacos, we love chili and this has to happen! So excited about this one!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 9:47 am

You have to make it happen Tieghan! You won’t regret it.. promise!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — September 16, 2013 at 9:57 am

Yesssssyesyeyseysyesyysssss.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — September 16, 2013 at 10:12 am

I’m pretty sure the crock pot is mans’ best friend. ou can throw everything in it and not matter what it’s bound to turn out amazing, when things are simmering in their own juices and magic for hours on end – I have no doubt that this is totes gonna blow some minds!! Including mine.

Anna (Hidden Ponies) — September 16, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hooray for chili season being almost kinda totally here! I love a day that calls for a good chili, and I’ll have to add this one to my rotation, taco flavours` are a sure win.

cassie — September 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

Crock pot meals are the best when you just throw in some stuff and see what happens. This is a total winner!!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — September 16, 2013 at 11:54 am

We had a chili party yesterday for my son’s 2nd birthday – it is the best food for fall!! I also add corn and love that you do too! YUM!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

I love making chili for a party! {great minds think alike :)}

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — September 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I am droooooooooling over this recipe!! That’s it, I’m coming over and we are diving head first into this delicious pot. I’ll bring the Shiner!

steph@stephsbitebybite — September 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Oh I am so pinning this!! Can’t believe it’s already chili season, but I’m so ready for it. And love that this is done in the crockpot!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — September 16, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Tacos and chili and a slow cooker! Dang….this just made my Monday….and it’s also gonna make my Tuesday when I eat it for dinner!! Love this!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — September 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I love this SO hard. It’s 50 shades of what I need to be eating for dinner tonight. Fantastic (crockpot, no less) recipe, Laurie!!!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

Why thanks Meagan! :)

Jennie @themessybakerblog — September 16, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I want this in my belly!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

Ha-ha! ME TOO Jennie!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — September 16, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I could eat this all day! Smothered over freshly homemade tortillas…yowzer.

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper — September 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

Love the flavors in this. One of my favorite soups is a taco soup I make that is similar to this!

Tamara Coleman — September 17, 2013 at 1:58 am

This is a great dish for Taco Tuesday and me and my crock pot are BFF’s! :)

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — September 17, 2013 at 11:59 pm

All of these delicious crockpot recipes and no crockpot makes Amanda a very sad (and hungry) girl. I’m totally going to bite the bullet and buy a crockpot this year!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — September 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I love a good, hearty & meaty chili all year round, but I’ve been needing to switch up my usual batch. This looks so perfect, Laurie!

Des @ Life's Ambrosia — September 19, 2013 at 2:48 am

I have been craving chili lately. The weather is getting cool, the leaves are changing. It’s time! And this chili looks perfect!

Julia — September 21, 2013 at 8:46 am

Love this easy slow cooker meal! Yum!

Laura @ The Rookie Cook — September 22, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Yum, looks delicious!
    I’m looking forward to soup season soon…maybe in the next month? But it definitely is too warm down south to start on soups for me – still shorts and flip flop weather!
    Pinned!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — September 24, 2013 at 10:05 am

I get so excited when it’s crock pot time! I love that guy, he makes magic in his belly and we enjoy it! Can’t wait to eat this taco chili!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

I’m still learning to love my crock pot… but I love your line about makin’ magic in his belly… too funny!! :)

Janna — October 20, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Just made this a few weeks ago and it was a huge hit!! My husband and 6 year old (who really favors chicken) really liked this! It’s such a great fall recipe and makes a lot. We did finish it throughout the week though. Can’t wait to share it with company!

Elisa {fancyfreeme} — December 17, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Just made your chili tonight and it was amazing! Fabulous recipe my dear! Perfect mix of taco meets chili.

• simplyscratch replied: — December 18th, 2013 @ 11:34 am

Thanks Elisa! Glad to hear it :)

Star Wars Tiny Death Star Hack — December 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Great delivery. Outstanding arguments. Keep
    up the great effort.

Alyssa B. — May 4, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Made this in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo! Great chili for a rainy day. Full of flavor and such an easy dish!

1. Pingback: 50 Soup, Stew, and Chili Recipes - The Roasted Root