Roasted Rhubarb Jam

Roasted Rhubarb Jam starts by roasting rhubarb in vanilla sugar, ginger and fresh lemon juice. Spread it on biscuits, toast or try my rhubarb almond breakfast bars.

Roasted Rhubarb Jam {Butter} 001

Even though it’s been raining, snowing, hailing and more days than not… windy and Fuh-reezing. I have to say I’m still feeling quite spring-y.

This morning I was looking around at my grocery store’s produce section and there they were, these GIGANTIC rhubarb stalks. I just had to have them… they’re bright ruby red color was just pulling me in. Ever since I roasted strawberries to make these milkshakes and then there was that whole glorious accident of roasting nectarines {how could I forget?} that it was only a matter of time before I roasted some rhubarb… and then turned it into jam.

This is a quick jam. I’m not sure if that’s a legit term in the canning world, but it just seems right to call it that. Its texture reminds me of apple butter meets a chunky jam. Maybe we could call it butter-jam? Pronounced like butter-jay-yum, heavy on the yum.

stuff

If you couldn’t tell from the ingredients above… this jam is pretty simple. If you don’t have the vanilla sugar, then try using regular sugar with the caviar of 1/2 of a vanilla bean or a half teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.

washed

Rinse and dry the rhubarb.

trim

Trim off the leafy tops and the ends and discard.

half inch pieces

Slice into half inch pieces. Don’t get your ruler out… it doesn’t have to be precise.

dump into baking dish

Throw the rhubarb chunks into an oven safe baking dish.

vanilla sugar

Why hello there vanilla sugar.

add sugar

3/4 cup of the vanilla sugar goes into dish.

pinch of salt

A couple pinches of kosher salt…

sugar coated

…and stir to coat.

juices are releasing

As you can see the rhubarb starts to release its juices once the sugar comes in contact with it. I learned that from when I made this rhubarb recipe TWO years ago… has it really been that long?!?

lemon halves

Slice a lemon in half and pick out the seeds.

squeeze both halves

Squeeze both halves over the rhubarb.

ready to roast

Toss it all around and pop the baking dish-o-rhubarb into a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

let cool

Gorge.

ginger 1

While the rhubarb is chillin’; peel an inch of fresh ginger with a spoon. Place it {cutting it in half if it’s too big} in a garlic press and slowly squeeze to release the ginger juice, do this over a small bowl so it can catch the juice easily.

ginger juice

You really don’t want those chunks of ginger going in the rhubarb…

pour ginger juice through strainer

So I poured it through a mesh strainer to catch those little buggers.

mush up... perfect as a topping

Here’s where it could go two different ways. You could smash this with a spoon then pile it and a little of the juices {once cooled} onto a piece of… ummm… let’s say cheesecake or shortcake orrrr angel food cake. You see where this is going.  And it would be glorious, or…

blendy blend

…you could blend it for a few seconds so the Roasted Rhubarb Jam became thick like buttah.

Roasted Rhubarb Jam {Butter} close up

This quick and SUPER easy Roasted Rhubarb Jam is tart, sweet and full of flavor. I literally was eating spoonfuls from a bowl… I just could help myself. But I finally forced myself to stop because I have plans for this rhubarb butter… jam… filling… stuff.

Roasted Rhubarb Jam {Butter} 2

I just need to edit the photos first.

So stay tuned.

Enjoy! And if you give this Roasted Rhubarb Jam recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Roasted Rhubarb Jam {Butter} 3

Roasted Rhubarb Jam

Fresh Rhubarb is roasted in vanilla sugar and fresh lemon juice. Spread it on biscuits... toast or anything your heart desires!

Yield: about 2 cups

Cook Time: 25-30 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

1 pound fresh rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch chunks

3/4 cup vanilla sugar (or 3/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 vanilla bean paste or 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped)

Juice of 1 large lemon

1 one-inch piece of fresh ginger

In a medium sized baking sheet add in the cut rhubarb. Toss it with the vanilla sugar, a couple pinches of kosher salt and let sit for 10 minutes.

Squeeze in the juice of a whole lemon, toss and place in a preheated 350 degree oven and roast for 25-30 minutes.

Remove and let cool.

Peel an inch piece of fresh ginger and place it in a garlic press. Squeeze gently over a bowl to catch the juices. Pour the ginger juice, about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons, through a mesh strainer to catch any ginger solids and discard. Stir and break up any large pieces of rhubarb.

Serve as is over angel food cake or cheese cake. Or blend until slightly smooth and chunky for more of an apple-butter consistency.

Enjoy!

28 Responses to “Roasted Rhubarb Jam”

Kathryn — April 26, 2013 at 6:11 am

Roasted rhubarb is one of my absolute favourite things ever – I can imagine so many uses for this and I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Jerry Simpson — April 26, 2013 at 7:31 am

Rhubarb isn’t something I cooked with much. Your jam recipe has inspired me to give it a shot. The photos make it look really yum!

Tieghan Gerard — April 26, 2013 at 8:49 am

I have never tried rhubarb, but that needs to change! This looks so springy and delicious!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — April 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

Ooooohmahgoodness this looks delicious. Love how easy it is to make!

Mr. & Mrs. P — April 26, 2013 at 11:27 am

Looks delicious… We have been on the hunt for rhubard in Miami but with no luck… We want to try it….

Tracy @ Peanut Butter and Onion — April 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Roasted Rhubarb Jam!!! oh MY!!!!

Julia — April 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Rhubarb is the best. I love it in pies but am excited to try a new way of using it! Great recipe.

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — April 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Whatever you want to call this recipe, it looks lip-smacking good! And so easy. Cant wait to see what you use it for.

Daisy Ray @ flowers, fruit and fun — April 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I have never tried rhubarb before, but the jam and the rhubarb itself looks amazing!!! Could you do the same thing with strawberrys and make srawberry jam?

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — April 26, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I love me some rhubarb! I’ve never had as a jam, but I could totally jam with this jam!

steph@stephsbitebybite — April 26, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I’m on sensory overload right now! First, the smell of rhubarb roasting…mmmm…then the taste of this jam spread over a crunchy English muffin! Help me!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 26, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Thanks for the awesome jam recipe and giveaway, Laurie! I’ve never actually used rhubarb before… that has GOTTA change with this delicious spread!

Carole — April 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Lovely dish! Would you be happy to link it in to the new Food on Friday which is all about rhubarb? This is the link . I do hope to see you there. Cheers

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 27, 2013 at 2:33 am

I have a confession. I have never had rhubarb!! I know, this must be changed!

jane — April 27, 2013 at 2:58 am

This looks delicious! Great photos too!

Herbivore Triathlete — April 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I love rhubarbs, my mom used to make a delicious rhubarb strawberry pie, oh it was so good!

Love the simplicity of this “jam”, can’t wait to see what you’re plans for it are.

Michelle Ritchie | Delicious Karma — April 28, 2013 at 2:33 pm

LOVE rhubarb! We had it in the garden growing up and my Mom used to make the most delicious rhubarb and strawberry sauce and would freeze lots of it as well. It always reminds me of home and of summer.

Thanks for the GREAT idea of roasting it! I’m sure it adds to the lovely flavor. This would be so tasty over yogurt or pancakes or even on toast. Yum!

Stunning photos too! I posted it o our sweet sauces & jams Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/deliciouskarma/sweet-sauces-jams

Rachel Gurk — April 28, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I adore rhubarb! Love this recipe–can’t wait to try it.

Jenny @ BAKE — April 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

This sounds incredible! I love the idea of rhubarb jam!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — April 29, 2013 at 9:44 am

I love this rhubarb thing you have going on. These photos are stunning, Laurie!

Carole — May 17, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Carole’s Chatter is collecting links for jams, jellies and relishes today. This is a nice one. I do hope you pop over and link in. This is the link . Cheers

Renae — June 10, 2013 at 10:11 pm

This is delicious! While I was baking the rhubarb, it made my house smell wonderfully. The ginger tames some of the tartness of the rhubarb, but not too much. Not only is this great on ice cream and other sweets treats, it also pairs well with pork chops or pork loin. Yum! Thanks for the great recipe!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

So glad you liked it Renae! I’m definitely going to have to try this on pork… thanks for stopping by to leave a comment 🙂

Donna — July 19, 2013 at 10:44 am

Could I “jam” successfully with a stevia baking blend…or with a liquid stevia vanilla flavored?….I LOVE rhubarb…but I am trying to avoid sugar!—Thanks for any enlightenment!

Lorraine Klug — July 26, 2013 at 7:45 am

I am excited to try this recipe! Can you tell me if you think it can be frozen?

• simplyscratch replied: — July 26th, 2013 @ 9:32 am

I don’t see why not Lorraine 🙂

brooke — December 11, 2013 at 1:46 pm

hello! i have 2 questions… i have some chopped up rhubarb in the freezer that i would love to use for this – do you think using frozen is ok? also, has anyone tried to process it? i would have no problem using it right up (like in 1 sitting with a big spoon), but would like to make it shelf stable for christmas gifts. 🙂

1. Pingback: Rhubarb | Chasing Capers