Greek-Style Turkey Burgers + Garlic Dill Mayo

Wanna know what’s reeeeeally hard to do?

Greek Style Turkey Burger 02

Making a crazy delicious turkey burger actually look delicious.

Know what I mean? I really did try to do my best dressing this beast up… but on the reals, this burger isn’t going to win any beauty pageants anytime soon. However, if there was a taste pageant then sign me up because this Greek burger would win the whole shebang.

stuff

Turkey can be pretty bland all by itself I knew I had to throw everything Greek into this burger. We’ve got olives, herbs, roasted red pepper, onions, garlic all mixed into the turkey… and then after it’s griddled… it’s smothered in an amazing garlic dill  mayo and topped with crisp lettuce and fresh cucumbers, onions and to-mah-to.

Funny thing is I’m the only one who likes olives. But guess what? Nobody noticed they were in there! All the flavors blend so perfectly and harmoniously that all you get is one delicious burger and a satisfied tummy.

Let’s roll.

bunch of dill

Grab some dill. Fresh dill rules, totally.

chopped

Give a good mincing to the dill until you get about two tablespoons.

mayo and dill

Throw it into a small bowl with a third cup of mayo…

splash of vinegar

Add a splash of white wine vinegar…

garlic, salt and pepper

Then press in a clove of garlic and season with a couple pinches of salt and a couple grinds of black pepper.

mix and refrigerate

Give it a good stir, cover with plastic wrap and pop it into the fridge for at least one hour. The longer in the fridge the better :)

turkey

In a good sized bowl throw in the ground turkey.

minced parsley

Mince up fresh parsley until you get about two tablespoons.

parsley and herbs

Add that plus a teaspoon each of oregano and Italian seasoning. I know Greek and Italian seasoning… hmmm. Trust me it works.

prep collage

Mince up a quarter cup of each Kalamata olives, roasted red pepper and onion.

into the bowl

Add everything into the bowl with the turkey and herbs.

crumbled feta

I busted up some feta, you’ll need 3/4 cup or so, just eyeball it… you’ll be good.

feta

Throw that into the same bowl… and squeeze a clove of garlic through a garlic press.

mixed

Mix by hand, because that’s how we do, until it is well mixed and all the goodies are evenly throughout.

patties

Form into to 4 to 6 patties, depending on how big you want them and then preheat a griddle to 375. I was planning on grilling these, but we had rain off and on all day and I couldn’t risk, you know… getting my hair wet ;) so I used my handy-dandy griddle.

griddle time

Add a little oil to the griddle {or skillet or if you’re grilling; be sure to oil the grates} and cook for 6 to 8 minutes on the first side. Make sure the griddle, pan or grill is really hot so the burger will sear and not stick.

flippah!

Carefully flip and cook for an additional 4 to 6 minutes or until the burger is fully cooked. See what I mean… these can stick a bit, but by the second one my griddle was just the right temp so there was less sticking goin’ on

goodies

Toppings are essential. I like red onion, cucumber, lettuce, tomato and the most amazing garlic dill mayo… really you need to make this.

pita

Quarter two pitas.

stack it up

Then if you’re a picky bugger about how things get stacked like I am… then follow the picture above.

Greek Style Turkey Burger 03

These turkey burgers were a HUGE hit in our house. We all inhaled ours and everyone especially loved the mayo. I hope you give these burgers a whirl. Not only are they pretty darn healthy but also loaded with a ton of flavor!

Greek Style Turkey Burger big bite

Enjoy!

Greek Style Turkey Burger 03

Greek-Style Turkey Burgers + Garlic Dill Mayo

A Greek-ed up turkey burger!

Yield: 4-6 servings

Lettuce

Cucumber Slices

Tomato Slices

Red Onion slices

Garlic Dill Mayo

FOR THE MAYO:

In a small bowl combine the mayo, minced dill, vinegar, pressed garlic clove, salt and pepper. Mix until combined, cover in plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge for at least one hour.

FOR THE BURGERS:

In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, minced parsley and dried herbs. Add the minced olives, roasted red bell pepper and onions to that as well. Add the crumbled feta, squeeze in a clove of garlic through a garlic press and mix by hand until everything comes together.

Form into 4 {or 6 depending} patties.

Heat a large griddle {you can use a skillet or grill too just make sure they are well oiled} to 375 degrees. Spread olive oil over top and cook each burger for 6-8 minutes on the first side. Flip and repeat for 4-6 more minute or until the burger is fully cooked.

Spread some of the garlic dill mayo on one side of the pita bread quarters. Top with the Greek turkey burger, lettuce, red onion, cucumber and tomato. Top with another pita quarter.

Serve and enjoy!

34 Responses to “Greek-Style Turkey Burgers + Garlic Dill Mayo”

Kathryn — April 10, 2013 at 5:26 am

I think it looks pretty darn tasty! I would happily devour one of these burgers and then come back for seconds. Definitely going on my to-make list!

Jenny @ BAKE — April 10, 2013 at 6:37 am

These burgers look so good! and I love that you’ve served them in a pitta!

Sheila — April 10, 2013 at 6:58 am

Hi!,
    I think it looks amazingly tasty. I can not wait to try it immediately. By the way I too really like the idea of serving it in a pitta. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.

• simplyscratch replied: — April 10th, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

Thank you Sheila!

Tieghan Gerard — April 10, 2013 at 8:36 am

I love this burger! Greek flavors are so light, fresh and just delicious. Plus, feta cheese is a no brainer! These look awesome!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 10, 2013 at 9:04 am

I’m not much of a mayo fan but this is intriguing and I’m positive my husband would love it!

• simplyscratch replied: — April 12th, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Maybe try it with Greek yogurt? I bet that would be just as yummy! :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — April 10, 2013 at 10:01 am

I think they look great! Then again, I love turkey burgers. I bet this mixture would make a killer meatloaf too. :)

Cassie | Bake Your Day — April 10, 2013 at 10:02 am

Dying over these flavors, Laurie!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 10, 2013 at 10:02 am

Smartest. Woman. Ever! I love Greek salads and also adore changing up burger flavors. These are pretty and fresh burgers! SO excited for bbq season and dying to try these burgers!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — April 10, 2013 at 10:14 am

my face hurts from being so in love.

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — April 10, 2013 at 10:21 am

You made this burger look delicious! I would totally dive into it!

dishing up the dirt — April 10, 2013 at 10:45 am

that garlic dill mayo sounds AMAZING! great recipe all around!

Daisy Ray — April 10, 2013 at 11:14 am

I love turkey burgers! These look good!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 10, 2013 at 12:42 pm

You are speaking my language, Laurie. :) I woke up this morning with a craving for turkey burgers. I know, weird to wake up with that craving but I’m going with it. I need to make these!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — April 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I don’t know what your talking about! These turkey burgers look mighty tasty to me.

Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such — April 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Anything Greek is okay by me…especially a tall, dark and handsom adonis, fanning me with a palm leaf – at the ready to spitz my wounds (mostly Microplane induced) with Windex – as I feast on this sandwich. OPA!!

Mr. & Mrs. P — April 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Love love love, everything about this burger.. Dill is one of our favorite herbs… Best part is, its nestled between pita bread!! Delicious!

Jackie @ The Beeroness — April 10, 2013 at 6:45 pm

That looks amazing! That dill looks awesome, so fresh. I love the pita bread idea, makes it almost diet food ;)

• simplyscratch replied: — April 10th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

Thanks Jackie :)

Julie @ Table for Two — April 10, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I love turkey burgers!! They’re so moist and healthy! It’s so hard to make sandwiches and burgers photograph well, but you did a fab job!

Anna @ Hidden Ponies — April 11, 2013 at 1:21 am

What, even you have trouble making things look pretty? Phewf :) Although I think it’s looking pretty dang delicious!

Melany Dalton — April 11, 2013 at 3:06 am

This is one of the best recipe I have recently tried. Very tasty and original. Thank you.

Paula - bell'alimento — April 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

Love all the flavors in this burger!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — April 11, 2013 at 10:58 pm

love greek flavors…this rocks.

• simplyscratch replied: — April 12th, 2013 @ 9:52 pm

Thanks Alaina!

Anissa — April 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Wow! Lots of flavor! I made a variation of this burger using ground lamb. The fat from the lamb made this burger juicy. I will have to admit that I substituted a few other things: Calenders Greek seasoning instead of oregano and Italian; roasted tomatoes from antipasto bar at the market instead of red peppers; and red onion. For the mayo, I used a splash of roasted garlic rice wine vinegar and cooking white wine. I will use this mayo with other dishes. I’m thinking crab salad! Warmed my pita bread in the oven and served these burgers with Kroger brand garlic fries. Awesome meal will become a regular in our home. Thanks for the recipe!

Angie — May 2, 2013 at 10:59 am

I am at a loss for words. I could tell by the ingredients that it was going to be good, but I had no idea that it would be this freaking amazing!!!! Great recipe!

Katrina Vega — June 7, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hi! I just wanted to say that my husband and I absolutely loooooooooooved these burgers. I added a dash of red pepper flakes to the burger mix. We just like spicy food and it just gave it a bit of kick. The dill mayo was also amazing. Seriously just gonna being using that as my mayo from now on. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!!!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 9th, 2013 @ 6:29 pm

Yay Katrina! I’m so glad you and your husband love these! Ps I love that you added a little kick to the burgers, very smart!

Sonia — August 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I made his today..It was flavourful,but for some reason,did not hold together in shape on the grill and on the griddle.Whats the kinds of minced turkey you used?

• simplyscratch replied: — August 4th, 2013 @ 10:47 pm

Hey Sonia! I’m not sure what could be the problem. I believe it was Jenny-o :)

1. Pingback: Worthwhile reads from the web this week | Eat and Sip in the City