Irish Stout Beef Stew

St. Paddy’s Day is in less than a week and with a last name like McNamara you best know we celebrate this holiday every single year.
Irish Stout Beef Stew 02

Traditionally we make corned beef and cabbage, but this year I wanted to do something a little different. I wanted to make an Irish stew with a little stout added to the mix. Besides the glorious and robust flavor stout brings to this already amazing stew, you’ll also find carrots, parsnips and turnips… oh and raisins too. The raisins absorb all the amazing flavors and plump up and add a delicious sweetness.

crusty bread

I’m not kidding you when I say I LOVE THIS STEW! It’s incredibly hearty, flavorful and the meat just melts in your mouth. Besides a spoon to get the stew from the bowl and into your mouth, I must highly suggest a hearty bread to mop up that stew-y gravy left in the bottom of the bowl. Your St. Patrick’s Day won’t be complete without this stew in your life.

ingredients

Instead of purchasing ready-cubed stew meat, I like to buy a big-o chuck roast and cube it myself. This way I can select a piece of beef without a lot of gristle and can cube it up as big as I like.

cube beef

My chuck roast was a little over two pounds, but as long as the roast is 2lbs to 2-1/2 pounds you’re golden. Now, cutting up the roast is easy. I cut the roast into strips about 1-1/2 inches and cubed it into bite size pieces, and when I say bite-size I mean big bites. Go big or go home, ya know?

season with k salt

Throw the cubed meat into a bowl and sprinkle it with 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt.

sprinkle with flour

Sprinkle that with a 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and toss to coat.

toss around

Each piece of beef should be perfectly coated, not to heavy and not to light.

olive oil

In your Dutch oven, add a tablespoon of the oil and heat over medium high.

sear

Work in batches and sear each piece so a nice dark crust forms.

removed

Transfer to a plate or any dish for that matter and move on to the next batch. It takes me 3 batches to cook all the meat, I like to work in batches so the meat doesn’t crowd the pan and steam instead of sear.

diced onion

Reduce the temp of the pot and quickly dice up a yellow onion. I seriously cry tears of pain with each and every slice and chop made, there really needs to be a cure for this!

browned bits

See all that dark brown goodness? Don’t scrape it out and throw it away… trust me on this.

onions in the pot

Throw in the 4 cups of diced onions.

cook for 5

Stir it up and cook the onions for 5-8 minutes until soft and translucent.

tomato paste

Measure a heaping tablespoon of tomato paste, so it’s more like a tablespoon and a half.

stir tomato paste

Give it all a good stir and cook for one minute.

Killia's Collage

Now comes the fun part. Crack open an Irish stout beer. I used Killian’s… but Guinness would work too!

stout

Pour in the entire bottle and use a wooden spoon to scrape up those brown bits on the bottom of the pan.

beef broth

Pour in 32 ounces {4 cups} beef broth.

add the beef

Add the browned beef…

salt

… A half teaspoon of kosher salt…

measure caraway

And 3/4 teaspoon of caraway seed.

raisins

Add in a palm-full or two tablespoons golden raisins.

pepper

Then lastly, add in a good amount of black pepper.

stir the stew

Give a good stir and bring to a boil.

cover

Reduce the heat to a simmer, put a lid on it and let it simmer away for 50 minutes.

stir again

After the time is up, remove the lid and give it another stir. Now increase the heat to medium-high and let it bubble away with the lid off for 45 minutes.

carrots, parsnips and turnips

While all that’s going on, prep the veggies. I peeled and chunked the carrots, parsnips and turnip into bite size pieces.

add the vegetables

When the 45 minutes were up I threw those in until they were fork tender… about 25 minutes. In the meantime the veggies soften and the beer/broth mixture thickens into the most scrumptious gravy. Total comfort food fo sho.

finished stew

LOOOOOOK! Oh gosh… I’m just… utterly… speechless. Yeah you really don’t believe that do you? Psshh that’s like totally impossible.

This stout stew is amazing. The stout is subtle, the beef is all melty and I lurve the switch up of root vegetables in this stew. I brought the leftovers to work and it could be possible that this stew was even better the next day!

bowl 1

Now go on and get your stew on!

Irish Stout Beef Stew 01

Irish Stout Beef Stew

A beef stew chockfull of beef, beer and root vegetables!

Yield: 6 servings

3/4 teaspoon Caraway Seeds

1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper

3 Carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced 1/2 inch thick

2 Parsnips, peeled and diagonally sliced 1/2 inch thick

1 medium sized Turnip, peeled and cubed into bite size pieces

2 tablespoons Minced Parsley, for garnish

Toss the cubed beef chuck roast with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and the 1/4 cup of all purpose flour until the beef is lightly coated.

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot pour in a tablespoon of olive oil. Sear a third of the beef until a deep golden crust forms. Remove and repeat with the remaining beef and oil in two more batches. Transfer all the beef into a clean platter and set off to the side.

Place the diced onion into the Dutch oven and cook for 5-8 minutes until soft and translucent. Add in the tablespoon and a half of tomato paste and cook for one minute.

Pour in the bottle of Irish stout beer and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Pour in the 32 ounces {4 cups} beef broth and add the beef back in. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, the caraway seeds, black pepper and the golden raisins. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 50 minutes.

Remove the lid, stir and bring back to a boil for 45 minutes.

When the time is up, add in the prepared veggies and cook with the lid off for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.

Serve in a big bowl with minced parsley sprinkled over top and a slice of crusty bread. Enjoy!

30 Responses to “Irish Stout Beef Stew”

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — March 12, 2013 at 5:59 am

I wish I was in the least bit Irish so I’d have a good reason to celebrate St. Patricks Day. There’s so many delicious recipe popping up lately but I have no one who will celebrate with me…..:(

Rina@Itheecook — March 12, 2013 at 7:23 am

Yum! I love me some Irish food! :)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — March 12, 2013 at 8:53 am

Stoooooooooout! I love stout! And i love it in my stew! Your st. paddy’s stew looks so hearty and it reminds me we should be making stews like this year-round, st. paddy’s day or not!!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — March 12, 2013 at 9:12 am

Sounds amazing! I Love the addition of the stout!

AshleyW — March 12, 2013 at 9:25 am

Looks delicious! Guess I’ll be switching up my corned beef and cabbage and making this instead! Thanks! :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — March 12, 2013 at 9:34 am

WHAT. I’m going in.

Anne @The Cooking Campaign — March 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

This stew looks soo good it makes me want to start eating beef!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — March 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

Gorgeous step & amazing flavors. Love this one!

Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen} — March 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm

This stew looks amazing!! Sounds perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — March 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Beef stew sounds so good right now on this dreary Tuesday! And all the ingredients paired together sound perfect for each other.

Anna @ Hidden Ponies — March 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I love that you actually celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! The stew looks perfect.

a farmer in the dell — March 12, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I like the different rout you are taking! I would take this stew any day over corned beef and cabbage!

Tieghan Gerard — March 12, 2013 at 11:24 pm

This look so warm and comforting! I love it!

Dennis — March 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm

You had me at Stout. :)

We can get an Irish Beef Stew from our local soup and sandwich pub. But we have been looking for a recipe that we could try at home. As for the Stout, I think that Killians is a bit lighter than Guinness. Both very good beers. I’m very glad to see that you left 5 beers for enjoying with the Stew. Thanks

Jenny @ BAKE — March 15, 2013 at 9:50 am

I’ve been looking for a recipe for sunday and this one fits the bill perfectly! thanks!

Phil Kowal — March 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I think the recipe omits putting the beef back in the pot. I’m cooking it right now and it smells great!!!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 17th, 2013 @ 11:20 am

Thanks Phil! I just saw that and added it. Thanks for letting me know and I hope you enjoy the stew!

Jeanne ODonnell — March 18, 2013 at 8:22 am

I made this yesterday for dinner, and it was fantastic! I had never had turnips before and they were delicious. Thank you for a great recipe!

Laura — March 18, 2013 at 8:34 am

I made this for St. Patrick’s Day yesterday and had a friend over. It was a big hit! Perfect, because my husband hates cabbage, so corned beef and cabbage was out. This was perfect! Thank you for sharing! :)

Karen — March 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hmmmm……it;s still March, and……..we’re Irish, so…………..and there are many Irish Saints we can credit, if we need a reason other than YUM!

Linda — March 21, 2013 at 7:05 pm

This stew was the BOMB!!!! Delicious…I didn’t have golden raisins in my pantry…so used regular…no problem!!! This recipe is definitely a “keeper”!
    Thanks, Laurie

Laura in Little Rock — March 27, 2013 at 11:01 pm

This looks SO yummy, I was reading on Tasty Kitchen and considering what al I have in my pantry and freezer and — the instructions on the recipe (on their site) neglect to add the beef back to the pot after adding the broth, etc. I’m not a Tasty Kitchen member, so I can’t comment there.
    Came here, the post is accurate and even more yummy looking on your site here with all the pictures, so I wondered if you’d want to make the correction.

• simplyscratch replied: — March 28th, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll make sure to correct it on TK! :)

Jean — July 31, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Even if it’s not St Paddy’s Day & you’re not Irish you should definitely try this stew it is the best! I left out the raisins (cos I don’t like them) carraway seeds & turnip(just cos I couldn’t get them) but put in extra carrot & parsnip. And instead of simmering for 50 mins, adding the veggies & simmering for another25 mins, I threw the veggies in the pot & put it in a 350 degree oven for 1hr…..it was terrific!! I have been using a slow cooker beef stew for years…..I think this will be used more from now on!!

Jean — July 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm

oops …..beef stew recipe

Liz F. — October 29, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Made this delicious stew tonight and everyone LOVED it! I added a few more veggies and a can of beans and it was deeeelish!

Jorja — February 3, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Setting up this printer is very simple which occupies only really less space.
    Photo printing devices nowadays are manufactured in different sizes and packages.
    The days of “wired” printers is coming to an end in this new “connected” digital world, but
    now that you’ve decided to toss your old
    printer for a wireless printer, there’s only one question to ask:
    how do you pick a wireless printer that’s right you.

Kaige — February 16, 2014 at 3:22 am

If onions are that much trouble for you, try some onion goggles! I’ve never used them, but my sister swears by them

1. Pingback: My Healthy Shamrock Shake {and a St Patricks Day Recipe Round Up} | Better with Cake

2. Pingback: St. Patrick’s Day Foodie Ideas | Quite Bookish