Dark Chocolate Dunked Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

These are trouble. Big fat trouble.

I absolutely can NOT have these things just lying around the house. Sweet, salty ANNNNND peanut buttery, I mean c’mon this is my dream snack.

So that’s why when I had visions of Pat coming home from work to find me deep in some delirious-chocolate-peanut-butter-induced coma with the evidence smeared all over my face and sprinkles all over the place, I decided it would be best if I packaged the majority of these and brought them into work and forced my coworkers to EAT THEM ALL  before my dream… became my reality.

Just like this recipe, it’s not too scratchy and it’s also been done a hundred times, a thousand different ways. But it is the perfect goody to set out for a party {or have in your bed side table wha-what?}. Everyone will be hovering over the plate of these and they’ll be gone in not time.

Start by spreading out 50 pretzels. I used a silpat, but you can use parchment or wax paper. Whichever non-stick surface you use is fine as long as you use something. I made the mistake before of letting these set up on a plate and well, they were GLUED to the plate and I couldn’t get them off. Lesson learned.

In the bowl of your mixer combine the light brown sugar, powdered sugar, butter and pb.

Mix on medium speed until all combined and crumbly.

Measure a half a tablespoon of the pb dough and form into rectangles.

Set them onto the pretzel and keep goin’ until all the pretzels are covered.

Grab a big bowl of pretzels. You know I guess you could use round pretzels, but I like the square. It reminds me of presents and I like love presents, so I went with it.

And press gently so the pretzels stick to the peanut butter center.

I really could stop here and slide the whole sheet pan of these right on into my mouth, BUT I figured why not dunk them in dark chocolate?

I slowly heated a bag of dark chocolate {60% cocoa} chips in the microwave.

I stirred the chocolate every 20 seconds until smooth. It’s so much easier this way, promise!

Grab a PB pretzel sandwich and dunk.

Drizzle.

Oh. Em. GEE.

And then let them set up on the silpat {or parchment} until the chocolate hardens. If you need to speed this process up then just pop them into the fridge for 15 minutes.

BUTTTT before you do that give them a little sprinkle action…

Orrrr sea salt action! Ohhhh yes.

By the way, I’m not sure who invented this peanut butter filling stuff, but it’s like eating the center of a Reese’s peanut butter cup. For reals.

Perfect bite-size pieces of heaven. Need I say more?

Dark Chocolate Dunked Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

Perfect bite-size pieces of heaven. Need I say more?

Yield: about 50

Prep Time: 20-30 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

100 Pretzels {I used Snyder's}

1 cup Smooth Peanut Butter

1-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar

1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar

3 tablespoons Butter, softened

1 bag Dark Chocolate Chips {I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao}

Sea Salt {optional}

Sprinkles {optional}

Line up the 50 of the pretzels on a lined baking sheet.

In the bowl of your mixer, combine the peanut butter, powdered and light brown sugar and butter. Mix on medium until combined and crumbly.

Measure 1/2 tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture and form into squares the size of the pretzel. Make fifty or so and lay the pb squares on top of each pretzel.

Take the remaining pretzel and press gently on top of the peanut butter squares to make a "sandwich".

Add the chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup and heat slowly in the microwave until melted. Stirring ever 15-20 seconds until smooth.

Dunk the pretzel bites half way into the melted dark chocolate, drip off any excess chocolate into the measuring cup and place them back on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining bites.

Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle with sea salt or sprinkles of your choice.

Enjoy!

*To help the chocolate set up faster, pop the tray into the fridge for 10-15 minutes.

Keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days!

34 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Dunked Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites”

Kathryn — December 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

Oh these look just too good!

Amy — December 7, 2012 at 11:43 am

Wow these look so tasty. I am making them stat!

Blog is the New Black — December 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

A favorite holiday treat! I am making these this weekend, I think! :)

Sarah — December 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Yep… Making these for my next night shift…

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Whoa. These sure do look like trouble!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — December 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

These are so cute! You have been having the best holiday posts!

• simplyscratch replied: — December 8th, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

Thanks Kelli! I love this time of year!

danielle — December 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm

just made these with the girls. my 18-month-old dribbled chocolate everywhere, but when i looked back at her, she had her foot stuck in her mouth, licking off the chocolate dribbles. thanks for the morning fun (and mess) for me and two toddlers. =)

• simplyscratch replied: — December 8th, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

That’s awesome Danielle! Glad you and your girls had fun making these :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — December 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

These would be devoured in no time at my house!

Krysten @ Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen — December 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I need these in my life, like now. Ps. I also read that as “Dark Chocolate Drunkard Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites” I guess my subconscious knows it’s friday :)

• simplyscratch replied: — December 8th, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

oh my gosh HA! I totally see that! Too funny :D

Courtney — December 7, 2012 at 8:54 pm

“Keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days!”

Um yeah right, as if they’d last that long! :<)

This looks divine…

Robby — December 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Oh, dear! I have resisted all the clever new things this season… until now. That sound? Me digging for the car keys to run to the grocery for pretzel squares.

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com — December 8, 2012 at 2:29 am

These are such fun little bites! Perfect for cocktail party and not only around Christmas time.

Maria — December 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

These look delicious. You take and post the BEST step by step photos…this visual leaner appreciates it!

• simplyscratch replied: — December 8th, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

Thanks Maria!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — December 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I have seen these many times before, but have never tried them. Yours are so thick and gorgeous! Need to try them this year!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — December 8, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Holy mother of all things delicious and wonderful! This is my exact dream come true as well. I’d have to pack them up and send them away too or else I’d eat my way into a 3-day sugar coma. Job well done, sister, job well done!

Julie @ Table for Two — December 9, 2012 at 1:54 am

i probably can’t have these in my life. i am obsessed with sweet & salty and these are just way too good (looking) for my own good!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — December 9, 2012 at 4:55 am

Um, holy heck, yes!

Keisha — December 9, 2012 at 10:45 am

These look sooo freaking good! Like insanely good!

The Food Hound — December 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love them I love them I love them! I want to eat the whole tray!!

Lisa — December 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

So scrumptious looking! I can’t wait to make them…although I must confess I plan to dunk the whole thing in the dark chocolate!! Yum!

Karen Simon — December 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

sweet recipe! I will be hopefully able to get all (similar) ingredients here in Germany. . .

they look lovely your little Pretzel bites…

here are some good old recipes from Europe for you:

Rachel — December 12, 2012 at 12:22 am

I just made these for a Christmas party – and they are amazing!!!

Katie | The Hill Country Cook — December 13, 2012 at 10:58 pm

GORGEOUS!!! And I am diggin’ me some salty/sweet lately!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — December 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I wouldn’t be able to have these lying around either! I’d eat every last one of these until they were all gone!

Tasha @ ThatsSoYummy — December 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Oh these look sinful… YUM!!!!

Lauire — February 9, 2013 at 10:11 am

I made these for my superbowl party and they were the hit of the party! Even though everyone was already full these were devoured quickly. Luckily the recipe made a huge batch, so I brought the rest in to work the next day and people went crazy over them. Thank you for the recipe!

Charn Cardell — March 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

Love this website- love woman who created this website…. wonderful daughter, wife, mother, and a friend to all of us… sharing these simple homemade yummies.. Thank you…as I know you are very busy. What an inspiration to us all.

Kristin — December 6, 2013 at 7:10 pm

A salty sweet! Beautiful!
    Thank you for all that you do! Love your blog!
    Pinned,
    K-

Rachel — December 10, 2013 at 11:25 am

This is the second year I am making these. They are a new tradition in my home! Delicious and simple!

Jaclyn — August 7, 2014 at 12:03 pm

These look amazing :) The only problem is that my daughter has a peanut allergy. Do you think I could substitute Sunbutter for the peanut butter?