Bacon, Leek Stuffing with Sage and Pecans

Really this should be called heaven in a baking dish. Because it totally is.

This stuffing has it all. I mean bacon, leeks, sage and pecans… it’s a stuffing that won’t let you down.

But I get it, you probably already have your stuffing for Thanksgiving all squared away. However, just in case you want to bookmark one for another holiday… like um Christmas… then I’ve got you covered.

This stuffing is darn easy, and let’s face it… it has bacon.

Now, before you get on me about the non-scratchy ingredient above let me just say… sometimes, just sometimes I take short cuts. So I hope that since I didn’t cut up my own bread to turn into stuffing cubes and I let someone else do it for me,  you could forgive me :). {Thank you Brownberry!}

Moving on. Trim off the long, dark green ends and the root-y tip of two leeks before halving them and slicing half inch half-moons.

Then just swoosh them in a large bowl filled with cold water to release any sandy dirt. It will fall to the bottom of the bowl while the leeks float on top.

Then just remove the floating leeks and let’em drain on some paper towel.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the two tablespoons of olive oil.

Quickly drop in the bacon and let it cook until crispy.

Almost there…

I had my oldest watch over the bacon while I got going on the rest of the prep work.

Like chopping up the pecans, sage and bacon… and since she was doing such a fine job I even beat up an egg.

Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Ahhhh crispy bacon-y goodness.

In a large mixing bowl add the 5 cups of stuffing mix or stale bread that has been cubed small.

Add in the bacon.

And the pecans.

Moving back to the pan, drain off all but two tablespoons of the fat before dropping in the celery.

…and leeks.

Sprinkle with a little s & p and cook those until slightly soft.

Now just throw in the minced garlic.

And the chopped sage and cook for one to two minutes.

Deglaze the pan with a quarter cup of stock and give it a stir.

Add the pan of leeks and celery to the large bowl.

Pour in the beaten egg.

And lastly the chicken stock.

Give it a good stir, adding more stock if it seems too dry.

Spoon it all into a baking dish and dot with a tablespoon of butter. Now you can just throw this into a preheated 375 degree oven to bake for 35-45 minute or until its crispy and golden brown on top.

Such a fancy stuffing. Wait until you see what else I did with it!

Coming soon to a scratchy blog near you!

Bacon, Leek Stuffing with Sage and Pecans

Bacon, leeks, sage and pecans {just to name a few} make for one fantastical stuffing!

Cook Time: 45 minutes

1 cup Pecans, chopped

1 egg, beaten

1-1/2 to 2 cups Chicken Stock {plus more if needed}

Kosher Salt, to taste

Ground Black Pepper, to taste

1 tablespoon of Butter, cut into pieces

In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, add two tablespoons of Olive Oil.

Once hot, add in the sliced bacon and cook until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon and transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate.

In a large bowl combine the stuffing mix, crispy bacon and chopped pecans.

Drain off all but two tablespoons of fat/oil and add in the sliced celery and leeks. Season with salt and black pepper and cook until the leeks are soft and somewhat translucent.

Add in the minced garlic and sage, cook for 1 to 2 minutes then deglaze the pan with a quarter cup of stock.

Add the cooked leeks and celery into the bowl with the stuffing and toss.

Add in the beaten egg and 1-1/2 cups of stock, or enough to make the bread moist without making it too soggy.

Place the stuffing in a shallow baking dish and dot it with a tablespoon of butter.

Pop the stuffing into a 375 degree oven and bake until the stuffing is hot and the top is golden and crispy. About 35-45 minutes.

20 Responses to “Bacon, Leek Stuffing with Sage and Pecans”

Blog is the New Black — November 19, 2012 at 11:32 am

Laurie, this looks incredible! I adore stuffing, and I just posted my favorite recipe as well. I love that you use leeks!

Rachel Cooks — November 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

This looks SO perfect! Yum. I could totally eat it for breakfast.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — November 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm

The flavor combination sounds delicious!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — November 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I love stuffing, though it’s something I never make. :( This looks deeeelicious!

Cleartrampoline — November 19, 2012 at 4:48 pm

This looks AMAZING! Definitely gonna add it to my list this week!

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — November 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm

MMMM I love stuffing, but I love stuffing even more when it’s filled with crispy bacon. You’ve won me over. Now I need my own batch to eat, by myself.

Julia {The Roasted Root} — November 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Why have I not thought of using bacon and pecans in stuffing before? Your fully-loaded stuffing absolutely looks like heaven in a baking dish and I’m going to suggest we make your recipe this year. Up until a few Thanksgivings ago, my family used stove top stuffing for stuffing our birds…so embarrassing…but we’ll make up for all of that this year! :)

Julia — November 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I love the use of leeks in this recipe! I am always looking for new ways to mix up the old stuffing recipe. Thanks!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

You’re so right – this stuffing has everything you need. My favorite part – the bacon!

Amber {Sprinkled With Flour} — November 19, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’ve never made my own stuffing since being married. My mom always made it from scratch, but my husband was raised on the “box” stuff…eek. So that’s what he always wants. I wonder if it would be too weird to make a stuffing all to myself, this one sounds great! :)

BreAnn — November 19, 2012 at 11:12 pm

This looks perfect for a Thanksgiving potlock I have at work tomorrow. Can you tell me how many servings this recipe makes? Thanks for sharing!!

~BB

• simplyscratch replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 2:39 am

Hi BreAnn! Depending on the portions served and to play it on the safe side I’d have to say about 8-10. But the recipe can easily be doubled for a larger crowd! :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — November 20, 2012 at 6:18 am

Stuffing is my favorite part of the meal! Love this recipe!!

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — November 20, 2012 at 10:58 am

my mama makes TWO stuffings each year and there is one quite similar to this! no bacon though. although. i am not opposed to suggesting that :) Love this recipe Laurie!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — November 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm

So, are you making this for Thanksgiving? I will be over around noon.

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — November 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Aggghhh…this stuffing looks incredible! Love all the flavors in here!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — November 20, 2012 at 11:08 pm

This is my kind of stuffing! BTW your daughter is super cute!

Julie @ Table for Two — November 21, 2012 at 11:21 pm

this looks insanely awesome!!

Sal's Girl — December 15, 2012 at 3:43 am

Hi, Your picture shows “herbed” stuffing mix. Is that correct? Later you say, “or use cubed bread.” Won’t the stuffing taste very different if you use plain bread as opposed to herbed stuffing mix? I’m confused!

Sal's Girl — December 15, 2012 at 3:45 am

P.S It’s only 9:44 p.m. on the 14th here. (Not 12/15 3:43 A.M.)