Glazed Whole Roasted Carrots

Carrots rule.

Not only are they good for your eyes BUT they also put hair on your chest! All right so they really don’t make you sprout hair on your front-side, that’s just something my dad would tell us growing up. Actually he said that about lots of things… carrots, coffee, yard work {blech!}. Okay so forget about the chest-hair thing and just go with “they’re-good-for-your-eyes” because I actually really do want you to make these!   —–> {Hi Dad} <—–

So as I was saying… Carrots rule, but carrots roasted and candied with balsamic and honey are top-notch! And in celebration of October being Fair Trade Month, I busted out my Fair Trade Glorybee honey and got-sta-roasting. I made these to go along side meatloaf and baked potatoes {at my daughter’s request}, which so happens to be one of my favorite fall comfort meals and these carrots are absolute perfection!

Oh and if you haven’t already entered to win my Fair Trade Giveaway then HURRY UP you have until Thursday at midnight!

For this recipe in particular you want to find the carrots that still have their tops on. The skin tends to be softer, so you won’t have to peel them {score!} and they’re also more tender which makes roasting them whole that much easier. You don’t want to buy those big, clunky carrots that are in bags next to the celery… those are better for making stock or sayyy, feeding to horses. And let’s just be honest… they just won’t look as pretty on the plate.

Trim off the carrot tops and give them a good scrub. You could also trim off the vine-y ends… but I happen to like those, gives ‘em character. I’m such a dork… I know.

Drizzle with olive oil.

Sprinkle with crushed black pepper. Like I literally took a meat tenderizer to a baggie of peppercorns! For maximus peppery-ness.

And sprinkle with kosher salt.

Toss them all around so each carrot is generously coated in the olive oil and S & P.

Throw on a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme. I have an abundance of thyme growing in my herb garden so I’ve been throwing it in, on  and under EVERYTHING!

Now just pop these carrots into a preheated 425 degree oven for like 15 minutes.

When the time is up, remove the pan from the oven and set the pan off to the side to cool down for a moment. Meanwhile you can quickly make the balsamic honey glaze.

Balsamic… naturally.

Honey… obviously. {dark brown sugar would be yummy too!}

Stir to combine… of course! How easy is THAT?

Drizzle over top of the semi-roasted carrots, toss them all around and pop them back into the oven for 10-15 more minutes. Halfway through give them one last toss.

Stand back when you open the door, or you could get slapped in the face with the balsamic vapors! It’s bad news… mascara dripping down your face isn’t best look.

I looooove these roasted carrots. They are the perfect combination of  sweet and tangy. If and I mean IF there’s leftovers they reheat just splendidly.

So totally easy… so totally yum.

{sorry about the pic below… the carrots are like *bam* in your face.}

Glazed Whole Roasted Carrots

Tender carrots glazed in a sweetly-tangy balsamic and honey glaze.

Yield: 4-6 depending

Prep Time: 5

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

2 bunches Carrots {go for the ones that have the tops still on!}

1 tablespoon Extra Light Olive Oil

3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1/4 teaspoon Freshly Crushed Black Pepper

4 sprigs Fresh Thyme {optional}

2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar

2-1/2 tablespoons Honey

Chop of the leafy carrot tops and scrub well.

Toss the carrots in the olive oil, salt and black pepper. Place the carrots on a rimmed baking sheet and throw on the sprigs of fresh thyme.

Slide the carrots into a preheated 425 degree oven and roast for 15 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the glaze by mixing the balsamic vinegar with the honey.

Remove the carrots from the oven and drizzle on the glaze. Toss to coat and place the carrots back into the oven for 10-15 more minutes. Just give them another toss halfway through.

Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and serve.

25 Responses to “Glazed Whole Roasted Carrots”

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — October 24, 2012 at 7:36 am

My favorite way to eat carrots has always been steamed, lightly salted and sprinkled with fresh dill but this may have just changed things. I roast pretty much anything so really I don’t know why I haven’t given carrots a try yet? Honey, balsamic vinegar and carrots sounds like a heavenly match!!! Great idea!

Smitten By Food — October 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

Looks delicious…. =) balsamic + honey = good combo

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — October 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

These look lovely!

Jean — October 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I love how easy these look… not to mention scrumptious!

Rachel Cooks — October 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Gorgeous carrots! Wow!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm

my dad always says things put hair on your chest too – love it :)

Anna @ Hidden Ponies — October 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm

SO pretty, definitely restaurant-worthy carrots!

Sarah — October 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Despite having 4 daughters, my dad also promoted food by telling us it would put hair on our chest! And I think he’d also be a big fan of these… Yum!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 24, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Your dad is just too funny! “Hair on your chest?” I kind of had to think about that for a sec. No but seriously, these carrots are GORGEOUS! They’ll have to make an appearance on my Thanksgiving table this year!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — October 24, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I really don’t want hair on my chest, but I do want to improve my eye sight. Instead of getting the glasses I so badly need, I will live in denial a little longer and just eat more carrots; starting with these lovelies!

Cassie — October 25, 2012 at 2:07 am

These are gorgeous! I love how rustic carrots look when they are cooked whole!

Haley C — October 25, 2012 at 2:42 am

Oh my! These are something you would find in a super fancy restaurant. I’m definitely making these!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 25, 2012 at 4:13 am

I just love roasted carrots! Yours are perfect and the glaze sounds so tasty!

• simplyscratch replied: — October 25th, 2012 @ 4:42 am

Thanks Stephanie!

Cate — October 25, 2012 at 5:26 am

You’re not alone… I love the vine-y ends too :)

These carrots look absolutely amazing… I’ll have to pick some up at the farmer’s market on Saturday and give this recipe a shot… they’ll looks so pretty with the multi-colored heirloom carrots!

Carolyn Sullivan — October 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm

It looks delicious! I do WW and it is 3 pts for a serving/less if you get 6 servings out of it! Always looking for a different way to eat veggies.

Dennis @ Fort Collins Personal Trainer — October 25, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I am always looking for new ways to prepare carrots. I just recently discovered heirloom carrots at my local farmers’ market this past summer, so I am excited to try this recipe!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — October 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

These look like the perfect holiday side dish – gorgeous!

Jill Brock — October 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Just tried these for lunch. Carrots are not my favourite but this recipe made them enjoyable – nice and crunchy and full of flavour.

Judit @WineDineDaily — October 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm

These look absolutely delicious!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — October 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Love roasted veggies! These look great!

Tiffany Arp-Daleo — October 26, 2012 at 2:15 am

Yum! We have been on a roasted carrot kick for a while now, LOVE them, but we haven’t tried them with your balsamic honey glaze….sounds amazing!

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — October 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

Laurie, I eat carrots EVERYDAY! THey are one of my favorite veggies – I love how their sweet juices are released when roasted as well. THe glaze on top sounds like perfection. In fact, I want a plate of these for breakfast this morning. LOL! And you managed to make carrots look pretty. Something I don’t think I could EVER do unless they were inside a carrot cake :)

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife — October 26, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I know I told you I thought your carrosts were pretty on instagram but I can’t get over it…they’re seriously bee-uuutes! I’m jealous of your camera skills too.

Jen — August 27, 2013 at 6:38 pm

These were SO good. I used bay carrots and dried thyme leaves because that is what I had in the house. This is ,y new favorite cantor recipe. Thank you so much…the balsamic glaze makes it (and the fact that I use Honey Gardens raw honey and an 18 year aged balsamic). Quality ingredients make all the difference, as always!