Herbed Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Olives

Did I ever mention that I’m a total olive FUH-reak?

What? Don’t believe me? Just ask Nichole, she’s a fellow olive freak too. We’re so completely obsessed that we’re known to polish off a jar of olives AND then dip tortilla chips in the olive brine. Gross? I think not.

Salt and more salt… that’s just how we do. Definitely don’t knock it ’till you try it.

So if you follow me on instagram {please do so because then I can share pics like this with you!} then you saw that on Thursday I woke up to this. Which inevitably meant I couldn’t go to Target to buy flow-y sweaters, leggings and new fall boots, I couldn’t go to Meijer to buy groceries {hence the dried herbs which is the real tragedy of it all} and with all that crappy disappointment… I needed so badly to feel better.

So wanna know what I did?

Duuuuh I made bread, focaccia to be exact. There’s nothing in the world more suitable to cheering me up then the smell of bread baking… except maybe the smell of bread baking and onions caramelizing in butter. Yummy bread topped with caramelized onions and olives… yeah you’re totally picking up what I’m layin’ down right?

So needless to say… all was right in the world the moment the smell wafted up and slapped me across the face.

Perma-smile and insta-cheered.

Of course you don’t really have to put onions and olives on top of your focaccia… or even put herbs in the focaccia dough.  You could however layer thin slices of Roma tomatoes and when it comes out of the oven top it with fresh torn basil orrrr just nix the Italian herbs and make it plain and simply sprinkle with mozzarella if that’s your thing… It’s just so darn adaptable, which is why I love this recipe!

First I halved, peeled and cut vertical slices of onion {think root to tip!}. I separated each onion layer and tossed them in a nearby bowl.

Then I melted a couple tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet along with a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.

Then I threw in the onions.

I put a lid on it and kept checking on it every now and again. The whole caramelizing onions bit takes about 20-25 minutes so you can get crackin’ on the dough.

While the onions were cooking away in butter, I got going on the focaccia. In a measuring up add the teaspoon of honey along with a cup of warmish-hotish water {110 degrees} and sprinkled the yeast over top, stirred and let that proof and get all fluffy for about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl add the bread flour, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, kosher salt and black pepper.

Give it a good ol’ stir and pour in the yeasty-water.

Stir that just until it comes together.

Then just plop it down on a lightly floured surface, and get to kneading.

I stop kneading when the dough is elastic and kind of wrinkles like an old man {or woman because I’m not discriminating} skin. You’ll know when you get there.

Toss it into another {clean} bowl that has olive oil in it and toss the dough-ball all around, coating the sides of the bowl with oil. Cover and put in a dry/warm spot to rise for 30 minutes… 45 minutes tops.

While that was rising I hovered over my pan of caramelizing onions stirring and taking long. deep. breaths.

After the dough has risen, punch it down and preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Spread the dough out on a well-greased-with-olive-oil pan with your finger tips, and then uses your knuckle to make little indentations a couple of inches apart.

Drain the olives…

And slice them in half.

Ohhh yeahhhh these onions are so done-zo.

Pour the onions over top and spread them around evenly.

I only put olives on one half for us olive-lovahs and left the other half just onions for the not-so-olive-fans. Pop the focaccia into a preheated 450 degrees and immediately reduce the temperature to 375 and bake  for 17-20 minutes depending. Keep an eye on it, you wouldn’t want this to burn, would you?

After it came out of the oven I stared at this thinking it needed something extra… a little something… to kind of gel it all together. {ps…the olives sort of look like coffee beans… but they’re not… promise}

So I opened my pantry and found this infused olive oil from Star! It was just what I wanted… if you don’t have roasted garlic infused olive oil, just use regular evoo and drizzle over top… but this stuff is where it’s at!

Slice.

Serve.

Inhale and enjoy!

Happy Monday {let’s get through it, together… with carbs!}!

Herbed Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Olives

Easy, fool-proof focaccia smothered in caramelized onions and olives.

Yield: 6-8 servings

Cook Time: 17-20 minutes

Total Time: a little over an hour

3 small Onions

2 tablespoons Butter plus 1 tablespoon Olive Oil

1-2 pinches of Kosher Salt

1 cup Warm Water {110 degrees}

1 teaspoon Honey

1 {1/4 oz} packet of Active Dry Yeast

2-3/4 cups of Bread Flour

1 teaspoon Kosher Salt

2-1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning

1 teaspoon Garlic Powder

1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

1/4 cup Kalamata Olives, halved

Roasted Garlic Olive Oil, {optional for drizzling over finished bread}

Halve and peel 3 small onions and slice into vertical strips.

Heat butter and one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt. Cover, stirring occasionally until a deep golden. Remove and set a side.

Meanwhile; Mix the honey, warm water and yeast in a small measuring cup or bowl. Let proof for 10 minutes

In large bowl, stir together flour, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper.

Add the yeast/water to the dry ingredients stirring to combine.

When dough has pulled together, turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.

Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, and turn to coat with oil {going up and around the sides of the bowl}.

Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm/dry place for 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and grease rimmed baking sheet with a little olive oil.

Punch dough down, place on well oiled, rimmed baking sheet and spread out using your finger tips pat dough into 1/2-inch thick rectangle {keep it rustic looking}.

Using your knuckle, make indentations in the dough about 1/2-inch apart, {if making plain (without toppings} then prick dough with a fork in addition to making the indentations}.

Top the dough with the caramelized onions and olives. Slide the focaccia into your oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 17-20 minutes or until the focaccia is golden brown.

Let cool slightly, drizzle with roasted garlic olive oil, slice and serve!

28 Responses to “Herbed Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Olives”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — September 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

Awww yeah. Pure awesomeness.

Alex — September 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

This sounds amazing!!

Blog is the New Black — September 24, 2012 at 11:54 am

Laurie, I ADORE foccacia!!! Looks amazing.

Clare — September 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

Oh wow! Love focaccia!!

Emily — September 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Really looks good Laurie!

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife — September 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I love love love love love love love this idea. MINUS the black olives. I’ll go green all the way. Black gets a Hellllla No! ;-) Looks amazeballs

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife — September 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Ps… have u tried the beau cafe foccacia? It’s actually pretty good! lol

• simplyscratch replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 1:22 am

No I haven’t… I’ll definitely have to now! :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — September 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm

mmm…i can just imagine how heavenly that smells.

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — September 24, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I swear I can smell that bread. Looks awesome Laurie!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — September 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm

oh yum – extra olives for me please!

Cassie — September 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I’m such a huge fool for olives! I love that Star oil too, perfect for bread!

Nicole @ Lapetitebaker — September 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I can practically smell the intoxicating scent of the caramelized onions through the pictures alone. This focaccia will be made soon like today!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — September 25, 2012 at 12:00 am

Looks awesome, girly! If I got a flat tire, I’d be baking too…baking makes everything better! Focaccia bread was a great choice to lift your spirits! :)

Ashley - Baker by Nature — September 25, 2012 at 1:11 am

Such a sucker for olives myself… actually just polished off my last jar today :(
    This bread looks heavenlyyyy

Ashley - Baker by Nature — September 25, 2012 at 1:11 am

P.S. Happy to have found your lovely blog!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 1:22 am

Thanks Ashley! :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 25, 2012 at 5:01 am

Jason and I had the most amazing focaccia bread up in SF and I’ve been meaning to try making one from scratch (despite my fear of yeast) but I haven’t found a recipe yet until now! I can’t wait to give this a try, and then devour the entire thing of course :)

Keisha — September 25, 2012 at 8:59 am

This foccacia looks incredible! Anything with carmelized onions count me in. I’m not an olive lover but I like them…my mom however loooooves olives. Anytime we go to the store olives are purchased and they are polished off before we even get home. So I see this foccacia as not only delicious looking but as a happy compromise for my mom and I!

Kathryn — September 25, 2012 at 9:03 am

I love focaccia bread and this looks amazing with all those lovely toppings!

Elisa — September 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Yum! Yum! Yum! I can’t wait to get over my cold so I can taste again. I love focaccia!!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — September 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Oh, that looks SO good!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — September 25, 2012 at 6:20 pm

We are olive freaks at my house too. I have to say I’ve never dunked chips into the brine, however. Love olive oil too the fruitier the better!
    I can just smell this bread now, as I imagine it in my oven for dinner.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 25, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I LOVE olives! And Onions – this is perfect!

Julie @ Table for Two — September 28, 2012 at 2:36 pm

girl, look at that bread and those caramelized onions!! gosh, this looks divine!!

jwucook — April 28, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Tried out this bread to make some focaccia sandwiches and it worked perfectly!

Jesse — January 9, 2014 at 6:54 pm

In the pictures you say preheat the oven to 450, but in the directions you say bake in a 425 preheated oven. I was wondering which one was the correct temp. or if you start it at 450 and then cook at 425? Thanks for the recipe! I can’t wait to try this!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

Hi Jesse! Sorry for the confusion. Actually you will want to preheat at 450 and once you slide the focaccia into your oven you will reduce the temperature to 375. I apologize for the confusion and I hope you enjoy this focaccia!