Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Panini

After years of watching my husband wrap his buttered toast around his scrambled eggs and bacon and eat it like a sandwich, it finally dawned on me.

Breakfast needs to be panini’d.

I, on the other hand, like to scoop my eggs on to my toast and eat it that way… but hey I can change my ways. My girls thought these were oh-so-cooEL, bonus points for moi! And because I used my favorite whole grain bread it made it a little bit more nutritious than if I used sourdough or an Italian loaf. Not that I’m knocking those breads. In fact I love them.

The ingredients can be mixed up by using breakfast patties, links or Canadian bacon maybe even lox… you get the point. Basically it’s all or any of your favorite breakfast goodies on top of eggs smothered in cheese and conveniently pressed into a perfect hand-held package.

Let’s review.

Start off by cracking 6 eggs into a bowl orrrr large measuring cup like I like to do.

Season with a few turns of salt and black pepper.

I found this beauty queen milling around so I gave her a lesson in whipping eggs. Until she almost ‘ACHOOOED’ all over them! So I quickly ripped the eggs out from under her nose before they were goners. Phew… close call.

I added a ‘glug’ of whole milk. I’m not sure what the accurate measurement for a ‘glug’ is… maybe a tablespoon?

Then IIIIII gave it a quick whip and set them off to the side to get going on the bacon.

In the largest pan you’ve got, cook the bacon. You could also bake it in the oven… but to me that’s more of a hassle for clean up, because the fewer dishes I have to wash the better.

So like I said before, cook until crispy and golden. Oh and I should probably note that I didn’t cook up a full pound of bacon. I use the Hormel uncured kind which I believe is a 12 oz. package.

Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set it off to the side and go to work now on the eggs.

I drained off all of the bacon fat, leaving just a smidgen in the pan to elevate the flavor of the eggs. Okay, so that AND I didn’t want to dirty up another pan, am I that transparent?

Turn the heat WAY down and let the pan cool off a bit. If you add the eggs to the pan right after the bacon was in there, a thick brown crust would form on the bottom of the eggs and you’d ruin them completely, unless you like burned eggs? So just give it a few minutes to cool before pouring in the egg mixture and you’ll be good to go.

Stir the eggs until they’re cooked through and-uh scrambled {duh}.

Butter a few slices of bread and start heating up your panini press.

While I waited for the press to heat up, I grated a cup of Farmer’s cheese {not sure I should be capitalizing the F} but it’s similar to Mozzarella and melts like a dream!

Lay the piece of bread, butter-side-down, and top with a layer of eggs.

Bacon.

Cheese.

Then top it off with the other slice of bread… butter-side-up of course, close the panini press and let time do its thang.

Uhhhh yeah… I’m so in love.

I can just see it now… panini presses being bought left and right just to make these sammies. And I’m totally ready for McDonald’s to copy my new discovery for a convenient and portable breakfast. They’ll make a fortune and I’ll sit and cry into my pillow… it’s okay.

But for now… you enjoy these! And if you have time in the morning, make these for your kiddies… it’s a satisfying ‘stick-to-your-ribs’ kind of breakfast that everyone will enjoy!

Annnnd I have no clue who put a knife and fork in these shots. Clearly you use your hands… unless you have some sort of phobia about doing that {which I totally don’t}… then I guess these pics would make total sense.

Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Panini

After years of watching my husband wrap his toast around his bacon and eggs, it dawned on me. Breakfast needs to be panini'd.

Yield: 4 sandwiches

Cook Time: 5-8 minutes

6 whole Large Eggs

1 tablespoon Whole Milk

Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

1 cup grated Farmers Cheese or Cheddar

12 oz. package of Bacon {I used the Hormel uncured bacon}

8 slices Whole Wheat Bread

Butter

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until golden and crispy. When it's done remove it from the skillet onto a paper towel.

Drain off all of the bacon fat, leaving just a smidgen in the pan to elevate the flavor of the eggs. Turn the heat WAY down and let the pan cool off a bit. So just give it a few minutes to cool before pouring in the egg mixture and you’ll be good to go. Stir the eggs around until they’re cooked through. Then remove the pan from the heat.

Butter one side of each slice of bread and preheat your panini press according to manufacturer's instructions.

{working in batches} Lay 4 slices of bread butter-side-down onto the press. Top with scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese. Place second slice of bread, butter-side-up on top of the cheese and close the press.

Cook until dark golden. Cut and serve!

30 Responses to “Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Panini”

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — September 5, 2012 at 10:32 am

Laurie, you’re the QUEEN of recipes that make me go… “why didn’t I ever think of that?!?!” You & your hubby are too creative… this is something i’ve never thought to do before… even though I love bacon, eggs, and toast together! My bf will go nuts if I show him this!

katie — September 5, 2012 at 11:13 am

I love this breakfast panini. I agree with you–breakfast tends to get neglected on the pressed sandwich market. I make them every now but never really remember that I can whip out my panini press and make a fab sandwich!

Pretend Chef — September 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Now I know what we’ll be having for breakfast. First, I need to run out and pick up a panini press. We love breakfast sandwiches in our house. This would be a hit. Better make these this morning before we go to Disney World!

Muna Kenny — September 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I have indulging breakfast on weekends only, and this for sure is on my list for coming weekend. Although it is simple but your choice of ingredients made it awesome!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — September 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

OMG. Seriously, this is a dream come true for me. All of the dreams. Truth.

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — September 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Awesome idea! I think I’m in love with this sandwich!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — September 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Laurie. Please come live with me and make this for me every day. I can offer you a twin bed and two 50 lb+ dogs to snuggle with. oh, and a super cute baby to play with ;)

• simplyscratch replied: — September 6th, 2012 @ 12:47 am

My bags are packed :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Panini’d breakfast = you are pure genius! I totally plan on waking up a bit earlier tomorrow to make this before work!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 6th, 2012 @ 12:47 am

Ha! Thanks Chung-Ah! :)

Brittany - Life of a Bama Girl — September 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love breakfast panini’s! Yours looks and sounds great!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 5th, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

Thank Brittany!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — September 5, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I love this recipe. I bet my kids would love this on a busy school day morning. Thank you for sharing!! Can’t wait to make it.

Heather

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — September 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Wow does this look good!!

KG — September 5, 2012 at 11:42 pm

This.

This is pure evil and I don’t think I can wait for breakfast.

By the way, a tip for easy bacon-cooking: place as many slices on a glass plate as you want without overlapping, cover the top with a layer of paper towels, and microwave for 3-8 minutes (depends on number of slices and thickness of bacon).

Julie @ Table for Two — September 6, 2012 at 12:56 am

LOVE those grill marks!! great idea to make them into paninis!

Kathryn — September 6, 2012 at 1:08 am

My boyfriend would absolutely love this, two of his very favourite things in a handy panini!

Rachel — September 6, 2012 at 3:45 am

Looks delicious!! I worked in a cafe that served panini and one of the most popular sandwiches was a egg, bacon, cheese, and tomato. Scrumptious!

Elisa — September 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

LOVE THIS! Thanks for the egg tip, I never could figure out what I was doing wrong when I make em in my bacon pan (which is a must!) yum! I can’t wait to try this!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — September 6, 2012 at 6:20 pm

We love breakfast sandwiches, and wow does this one ever look delicious! It’s one of those B-L-D meals – good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – and I’m thinking it’s on my menu for tonight.

Jen @ Savory Simple — September 7, 2012 at 1:00 am

I’ve never been a huge fan of paninis, but bacon, egg & cheese is one of my all time favorite sandwiches. And now I must have it as a panini! This sounds amazing.

Anna @ hiddenponies — September 7, 2012 at 3:02 am

OBviously, this is brilliant! My husband would love this!

Krysten @ Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen — September 7, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Panini perfection. LOVE!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Bacon, Egg Sandwiches are a staple here with my guys – but we don’t do the panini version. Will have to try that next time!

Christina — September 15, 2012 at 5:20 am

This is the second recipe I’ve read here aaaaaand I officially love your blog. :) This? Is genius.

Ellen — September 16, 2012 at 9:08 am

This lookes so delicious! I must try it some day.
    Thank you for the inspiration.

Karen — March 21, 2013 at 10:45 am

Oh, YUM! Another great idea! I think this would be gread with homemade sourdough, so that’s what I’ll try….and then with cinnamon toast…..or rye…….You’ve inspired me!

Barry — December 26, 2013 at 9:42 am

Ew, American bacon looks so horrible, it looks like it’s 75% fat. Which is just disgusting. No wonder they’re in the midst of an obesity epidemic.

Rachel Cooks — January 19, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I realize this is an old post but these look amazing — such a great idea!

Also –

-my husband does the same toast-folding maneuver.
    -I buy hormel natural meats too! The pepperoni is the best.
    -I whip up my eggs in a large measuring up too!

Crazytown.