Perfect Grilled Turkey Burgers

Big things happened this past week.

Big things like… lunch at the Clarkston Union. The Union is a quaint church-turned-restaurant in downtown Clarkston, Michigan. It’s cozy, hip and you get to sit in old church pews! They’re best known for their real-deal grub and “Most Macked Mac & Cheese” yeah it’s pretty darn good. You may have seen a certain episode of Diners, Drive-ins & Dives where Kid Rock shows Guy around his favorite places to eat in Michigan… ie. The Woodshop and Clarkston Union. They’re just down the road from each other and, lucky for me, only 20 minutes from where I now live.

Which brings me to my big news, okay not big-BIG news…

No I didn’t run into Kid, BUT I did try my first Turkey Burger. Awww yes-ah I sure did. I met my friend Heidi for lunch there and she told me their turkey burger was AWESOME. And it was. It was simple, grilled and topped with the basics. Sometimes food just doesn’t need to be gussied up with a fancy schmear of sauce or a load of crazy toppings. Keep it simple and that’s all you really need to make a good thing work.

So later that night I hopped on the internet in search of the perfect turkey burger recipe. I found several different ones, but the one by Martha Stewart caught my eye and looked promising, so I just put my spin on it and they were a hit!

Ummm-yeah, just try not to forget the garlic like I almost did. I always seem to forget to put it in my ingredient shot. Doh.

Start by slicing up 4 green onions, discard most of the white parts and the tougher green tops.

Give them a good chop so they are in smaller pieces and add them into the bowl with the ground turkey.

Grab a clove of fresh garlic and put it into a garlic press. Squeeze it and scrape all the garlic into the bowl. If you don’t have a press… just mince it to a PULP.

Dump in a heaping quarter cup of fresh bread crumbs. I just found a couple hot dog buns that weren’t going to be consumed anytime soon because they were a little on the hard side and put them in my mini food processor and ground them up. Insta-breadcrumbs.

Measure out a quarter cup of coarse grained Dijon mustard…

…And grate up half a block (or 4 oz) of Monterrey Jack cheese.

Add them both into the mix of ground turkey, green onions and garlic. You see where this is going right?

Season with a few turns or pinches of salt and lots of black pepper.

Give it a stir, by spoon or by hand, until all the ingredients are mixed throughout.

Form into patties. Depending on the size of burgers you’re making… this recipe will yield 6-8.

Heat up the grill to medium-high and sear on one side for 6-8 minutes. I love that I can actually SEE the mustard {and my husband’s knuckles} in this shot!

Flip and repeat until the burgers are WELL DONE. The whole cooking time is roughly 14-18 minutes. Rubbing the grates with oil before preheating is important. Our grill broke in the move, so this one is fairly new and lacking a “good season” that you get from years of grilling. So our burgers stuck a little more than they normally would have. That burger on the left is real life. It happens.

Once grilled, top with {if you’re lucky to know folks with a garden} garden fresh tomatoes, lettuce and thinly sliced red onion. Serve all this goodness on a toasted bun and get ready for excellence. The garlic-mustard combo really sets these {believe it or not} juicy turkey burgers off! Even my red meat loving hubby gave me two thumbs up.

Winner-Winner turkey burger dinner!

Enjoy!

Perfect Grilled Turkey Burgers

Lean, mean and OH-sooo delicious!

Yield: 6-8 burgers

Cook Time: 14-18 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

1-1/2 pounds 93% Lean Ground Turkey

4 whole Green Onions, sliced and chopped

1 clove Fresh Garlic, pressed through a garlic press or minced well

1/2 a 8 ounce brick of Monterrey Jack Cheese, grated

1/4 cup {heaping} Fresh Bread Crumbs, or use your favorite!

1/4 cup coarse grained Dijon Mustard

A couple pinches of Kosher Salt

Lots of fresh ground Black Pepper

Olive Oil for grill grates

Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

Pour olive oil on some paper towel and rub the grill grates, then preheat it to medium-high.

Combine all the ingredients above and form in to 6 or 8 patties {depending on the size you form them into}.

Sear the turkey burgers on one side for 6 minutes, flip and continue to cook until the burgers are well done, about 8-10 minutes more.

Remove and serve on a toasted bun with fresh tomatoes, lettuce and thinly sliced red onion.

26 Responses to “Perfect Grilled Turkey Burgers”

Blog is the New Black — August 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

Ah, these do look perfect! I adore turkey burgers.

Rachel Cooks — August 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

These look fantastic, I bet they have so much flavor. We love turkey burgers!

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm

These burgers look wonderful!

Katie — August 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Too funny I watched the same episode this weekend. Looks like a very cool place to eat. I’m not a huge fan of turkey burgers, but I would definitely give this one a try!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

O-M-G. Turk burgs are my whole purpose for living.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — August 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Turkey burgers are my favorite! These looks delicious!

Cassie — August 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I can only imagine how juicy and flavorful these are. I love stuffing cheese into turkey burgers!!

Lauren — August 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I just had turkey burgers the other night! SO good.

Julia {The Roasted Root} — August 20, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Turkey burgers are my favorite burgers and I’ve never tried them with cheese and your other goodies all mixed in. Definitely does look perfect!

JulieD — August 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Wow, these actually look perfect too. I have been wanting to try turkey burgers forever now…will have to try your recipe when I do!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 21st, 2012 @ 1:56 am

Thanks Julie! :)

Bob — August 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

These look perfect, will give this recipe a try.

Julie @ Table for Two — August 21, 2012 at 12:25 am

I really do love turkey burgers a lot more than regular burgers. They’re just more moist and healthier! Love that you finally tried it and made your own! They look delicious!

Jo-Anna — August 21, 2012 at 3:49 am

Oh yummy! I love turkey burgers, and I love that there’s cheese grated in the meat! Delish!
    Jo-Anna

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — August 21, 2012 at 4:53 am

Perfect!! I have all of these ingredients!! Making immediately THANKS!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 21, 2012 at 4:56 am

I can’t believe I’ve never tried a turkey burger before! I think this is the perfect burger to finally give it a try with that wonderful grainy Dijon mustard and monterey jack cheese! YUM!

Muna Kenny — August 21, 2012 at 5:16 am

It’s been a while since I had a good turkey burger, yours look perfect. I’ll be trying it out soon.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — August 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

Hi Laurie!! The whole “keep it simple” thing.. I couldn’t agree more. Lately, Io’ve been seeing all of these sugar bombs all over the blogworld – so much extra this and overloaded with that… I like to keep things simple around here, classic recipes I’ll make over and over again. That being said, I don’t have a go-to turkey burger recipe. I don’t eat red meat, and it just so happens that i LOVE the taste of turkey burgers and veggie burgers. This burger looks perfect and SO SO easy. I order turkey burgers whenever I see them on the menu lol. Love your recipe! And photos!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 21, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I love turkey burgers, and trying different versions of them often. This sounds amazing with the cheese and mustard in with the meat. Trying this before it gets too cold to grill!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I never had much success with turkey burgers on the flavor side. Never thought of adding mustard! And country dijon is our fav! Thanks, Laurie!

Gourmet Goddess — August 22, 2012 at 9:14 am

I am addicted to turkey burgers and they are so forgiving and versatile with what ever ingredients you add to them …. try these and they will make you rethink ever going back to beef burgers http://gourmetgoddesspantry.blogspot.com/2010/07/cuban-inspiration.html
    Read your blog religiously every morning …. love it for its freshness and originality .

GG

Not sure about texture of turkey burger — November 25, 2012 at 11:24 am

I made this recipe foe the first time today. This is actually the first time I ever had turkey burgers! I loved the recipe but found the consistency to be a little too mushy for my taste, perhaps I needed a courser grind– Is this normal? I felt like it was cooked through from the color, but the texture threw me off a little bit..

PegD — June 14, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Just made these tonight – New favorite! Thanks :)

• simplyscratch replied: — June 14th, 2013 @ 11:06 pm

Yeah! I just love these burgers!!!

Jack — June 13, 2014 at 5:51 am

What would be a good substitute for the mustard?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — July 14th, 2014 @ 10:06 am

Hi Jack! I haven’t tested this but I think a smidgen of horseradish would work?!