Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad

This Caesar romaine wedge salad is a fun spin on a traditional wedge salad. Perfect for a small gather yet easy enough for a larger dinner party!

A couple weekends ago Pat and I went on a date to a local steak house.

Love = steak.

Prior to my gigantoid 16oz. ribeye smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms and topped with Gorgonzola that was cooked to perfection. We were served our salads. Pat had the typical house salad and I had their wedge salad. It was a hunk of iceberg with the restaurant’s house blue cheese dressing and it was covered (and I mean COVERED) diced tomato and lots of chopped bacon. I loved it.

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

I had heart eyes as I stared at the wedge before me, that could really be a meal all in itself, and I thought to myself: Someone really needs to re-invent “the wedge”. Now I’m not saying that person is or was me, but I think you’ll agree the romaine wedge is totally waaaay cooler.

This is how I did it.

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

So I took a smallish head of Romaine and slice it all the way through, lengthwise.

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

Then I drizzled my “house” Caesar dressing all down the entire thing, think drenched… because that’s what it is really. Did I mention that I could drink the stuff? THROUGH A STRAW?!

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

Then I sprinkled crispy chunks of bacon over top of the dressing. I {heart} applewood! {bumper sticker! who’s with me?}

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

Then I grabbed my pepper grinder and blanketed it with lotsa blacka peppa!

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

And then I just finished’er off with fresh grated Parm. Uh-Huh, seal the deal with some Parm.

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

I have to admit… I like a salad I can use a knife on. Something about it is so enjoyable.

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

Stab and chew… stab and chew!

Amen.

Enjoy! And if you give this Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad l SimplyScratch.com

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad

Yield: 4 servings

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

4 strips of bacon, cubed and cooked until crispy

2 smallish heads of Romaine Lettuce, halved lengthwise

1 recipe for Caesar Dressing, see my recipe box!

Grated Fresh Parmesan Cheese

Lots of Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Place the 4 halved Romaine heads onto four plates.

Drizzle each with the desired amount of Caesar Dressing, sprinkle with some of the crispy bacon and a few grinds of fresh ground black pepper. Lastly top with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.

Grab a fork and knife and dig in!

*I figured cooking the bacon into the "prep-time". If you are making the salad dressing you may want to make it a little bit in advanced*

17 Responses to “Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

i love this spin on the wedge salad! totally up my alley…

Dollie Steele-Hoag — August 22, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I am sooo making this for din-din tonite!! Was already contemplating what to do with that bag of romaine…thank you, thank you!!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

Welcome! You’re gonna love how easy these babies are to make! 🙂

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Y.
    E.
    S.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — August 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Yep, this is my favorite thing about steak houses. Mmmmm!

Cassie — August 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Love = steak here too. But I do adore the salads at steakhouses, especially Caesar salads. I love the Romaine wedge idea!

Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors — August 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Yes!! I love caesar and wedge salads! What a perfect idea to merge the two together. This could be a meal in itself… but a side of steak never hurt! 🙂

Anna @ hiddenponies — August 22, 2012 at 10:09 pm

This looks incredible…I love the way you have the words on your photos too, somehow that is making it look even MORE delicious!

Jaime — August 22, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Looks amazing! I think when I try this I will grill the wedges…if you haven’t tried grilled romaine, you haven’t lived!!! 😉 (you only put them on for a minute or two, cut-side down to get the grill marks, the lettuce is still cold and crunchy but it has a hint of that char that makes it oh so good!!)

Pretend Chef — August 22, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Love caesar salads! I need this with a juicy steak right now! This looks so delicious.

Julie @ Table for Two — August 23, 2012 at 2:15 am

Oh my gosh, these are my FAVORITE salads to have at steakhouses/restaurants. I don’t know why I never thought to make it at home! haha

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — August 23, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hi Laurie! I am loving this recipe because I had a salad EXACTLY like this when KEvin and I went away for the weekend. IT was a perfect trip and I will always have fond memories of the dinner we had out! This was the appetizer salad… or something VERY similar to this. I have to make it one night… the crispy bacon was the best part and such a nice contrast to the romaine!

Amy W. — August 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I am loving this idea and now have a better idea of what to have for dinner! Thanks for “mixing” it up and sharing such a great idea!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 23, 2012 at 7:45 pm

If you can use a knife with a salad you know it is a meal!

Michelle @Amourbeurre — August 24, 2012 at 2:41 am

Awesome way to serve this, I think this is my new go-to plating for guests!

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 24, 2012 at 3:03 am

Those are some good eats!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 24, 2012 at 7:12 am

I just recently made homemade caesar dressing so
    I definitely have caesar on my mind! I can’t wait to make this salad!