Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad

This Caesar romaine wedge salad is a fun spin on a traditional wedge salad. Perfect for a small gather yet easy enough for a larger dinner party!

A couple weekends ago Pat and I went on a date to a steak house.

Love = steak.

Prior to my gigantoid 16oz. ribeye smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms and topped with Gorgonzola that was cooked to perfection… ahhhh yes… huh-wait, where was I? Oh yeah… dinner. Well… before that fantasical dinner I had a salad. A wedge to be exact. It was a hunk of iceberg with the restaurant’s house blue cheese dressing and it was covered {and I mean COVERED} with bacon. A few clunky cherry tomatoes that I scooted off to the side, but otherwise… I loved it.

Now as I stared at the wedge before me, that could be a meal all in itself, I thought: Someone really needs to re-invent “the wedge”. Now I’m not saying that person is or was me… but I think you’ll agree… the romaine wedge is totally waaaay cooler.

This is how I did it.

So I took a smallish head of Romaine and slice it all the way through, lengthwise.

Then I drizzled my “house” Caesar dressing all down the entire thing, think drenched… because that’s what it is really. Did I mention that I could drink the stuff? THROUGH A STRAW?!

Then I sprinkled crispy chunks of bacon over top of the dressing. I {heart} applewood! {bumper sticker! who’s with me?}

Then I grabbed my pepper grinder and blanketed it with lotsa blacka peppa!

And then I just finished’er off with fresh grated Parm. Uh-Huh, seal the deal with some Parm.

I have to admit… I like a salad I can use a knife on. Something about it is so enjoyable.

Stab and chew… stab and chew!

Amen.

(enjoy!)

Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad

Yield: 4 servings

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

4 strips of bacon, cubed and cooked until crispy

2 smallish heads of Romaine Lettuce, halved lengthwise

1 recipe for Caesar Dressing, see my recipe box!

Grated Fresh Parmesan Cheese

Lots of Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Place the 4 halved Romaine heads onto four plates.

Drizzle each with the desired amount of Caesar Dressing, sprinkle with some of the crispy bacon and a few grinds of fresh ground black pepper. Lastly top with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.

Grab a fork and knife and dig in!

*I figured cooking the bacon into the "prep-time". If you are making the salad dressing you may want to make it a little bit in advanced*

17 Responses to “Caesar Romaine Wedge Salad”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

i love this spin on the wedge salad! totally up my alley…

Dollie Steele-Hoag — August 22, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I am sooo making this for din-din tonite!! Was already contemplating what to do with that bag of romaine…thank you, thank you!!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

Welcome! You’re gonna love how easy these babies are to make! 🙂

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Y.
    E.
    S.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — August 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Yep, this is my favorite thing about steak houses. Mmmmm!

Cassie — August 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Love = steak here too. But I do adore the salads at steakhouses, especially Caesar salads. I love the Romaine wedge idea!

Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors — August 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Yes!! I love caesar and wedge salads! What a perfect idea to merge the two together. This could be a meal in itself… but a side of steak never hurt! 🙂

Anna @ hiddenponies — August 22, 2012 at 10:09 pm

This looks incredible…I love the way you have the words on your photos too, somehow that is making it look even MORE delicious!

Jaime — August 22, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Looks amazing! I think when I try this I will grill the wedges…if you haven’t tried grilled romaine, you haven’t lived!!! 😉 (you only put them on for a minute or two, cut-side down to get the grill marks, the lettuce is still cold and crunchy but it has a hint of that char that makes it oh so good!!)

Pretend Chef — August 22, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Love caesar salads! I need this with a juicy steak right now! This looks so delicious.

Julie @ Table for Two — August 23, 2012 at 2:15 am

Oh my gosh, these are my FAVORITE salads to have at steakhouses/restaurants. I don’t know why I never thought to make it at home! haha

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — August 23, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hi Laurie! I am loving this recipe because I had a salad EXACTLY like this when KEvin and I went away for the weekend. IT was a perfect trip and I will always have fond memories of the dinner we had out! This was the appetizer salad… or something VERY similar to this. I have to make it one night… the crispy bacon was the best part and such a nice contrast to the romaine!

Amy W. — August 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I am loving this idea and now have a better idea of what to have for dinner! Thanks for “mixing” it up and sharing such a great idea!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 23, 2012 at 7:45 pm

If you can use a knife with a salad you know it is a meal!

Michelle @Amourbeurre — August 24, 2012 at 2:41 am

Awesome way to serve this, I think this is my new go-to plating for guests!

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 24, 2012 at 3:03 am

Those are some good eats!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 24, 2012 at 7:12 am

I just recently made homemade caesar dressing so
    I definitely have caesar on my mind! I can’t wait to make this salad!