Dark Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones

Drumstick cones have to be the absolute BEST cones in the world.

Especially when you get to the very end and find that little nub of solid chocolate… ahhhh yes, it’s the ultimate. Those cones were my favorite, FAVORITE ice cream treat growing up. Well that and Goo-Goo Cluster ice cream made from scratch at the dairy farm down the road, but that flavor has since been replaced with some bear-claw flavor {that doesn’t EVEN compare} and my world hasn’t been the same since.

Anywho, last week I told my girls to wash up cuz’ were dipping cones and their eyes widen to saucers like on Christmas morning and we all got our fingers nice and dirty chocolaty. It’s therapeutic, try it!

Picture magic shell inside your sugar cone. These are so good I could totally skip the ice cream {yeah right} and just eat the cones. Not that I’d ever be that ridiculous and pass on ice cream, I mean c’mon who would do that?!

Why dark? Well couple reasons… One: I royally screwed up the milk chocolate for some reason the milk chocolate seized up as I set it over the simmering water and was ruined beyond repair. Two: I like dark chocolate better. So let’s gets-sta-melting!

Start by filling up a pot 1/3 of the way full with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.

Add the dark chips into a metal bowl.

Add in the two tablespoons of coconut oil.

Give it a little stirsy if it makes ya happy. I like the look of glossy chips so I stir.

Next throw in a pinch of sea salt or kosher salt.

Set the bowl over the simmering water and stir until just about melted.

Remove and continue to stir until smooth and glossy.

Grab a cone and use a spoon to drizzle it in.

And resist the urge to hold your tongue under the spoon. It’s hard… real hard.

Then turn the cone, tipped downward into the bowl, and swirl to coat the inside of the cone and drain out most of the chocolate.

Give it a quick dunk… and drip off the excess chocolate.

We did half in sprinkles. Those are fun and purrrrty.

And the camera loved’em.

I also did half of the cones with gigantic flakes of sea salt. Mmmmm.

Then I popped the tray into the fridge to harden the chocolate. Because the coconut turns solid at room temp or below, the chocolate will harden a lot faster in the fridge. Kinda like how you’d make from-scratch magic shell, it’s the same idea you just less coconut oil.

If you did a grand job at removing majority of the chocolate it should come out perfectly coated. Not all of our dipped cones turned out that purty… but my girls had fun and that’s what counts in the end.

Serious fun times are to be had with these cones… just you wait!

One fun vanilla cone coming up!

And one fancy-chocolate-coated-sea -salt-sprinkled-coffee-ice-cream for moi! Shazaam!

Do this. ASAP!

Dark Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones

Think Drumsticks!

Yield: 12 cones

Total Time: 25-35 minutes

1 package of 12 Sugar Cones

12 ounces {1 bag} Dark Chocolate Chips

2 tablespoons Coconut Oil, warmed

Optional: Sprinkles, Flaked Sea Salt, Chopped Almonds, Toffee bits or Toasted Coconut.

Fill a sauce pan 1/3 of the way with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer.

Pour the chocolate chips and coconut oil into a metal bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Set the bowl over the simmering water and quickly stir until just melted.

Remove and continue to stir until smooth.

Fill the sugar cone 3/4 of the way with melted chocolate. Holding the cone over the bowl, angle the cone and twirl to get the inside of the cone coated while the excess drips out.

Sprinkle with sprinkles, sea salt or any desired "topping" before placing the cones face down on to a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.

Once all cones are done; pop the tray into the fridge to harden. About 15 minutes or so.

Scoop your favorite ice cream in side and enjoy!

14 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones”

Michelle Jaffee — July 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm

My kids will LOVE doing this!

Amber (Sprinkled With Flour) — July 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm

These cones are so cute! My son wants ice cream cones just to eat on their own, so these would really make his day!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm

The chocolate dipped cones are my favorite at the ice cream shoppe ;) Never thought to make them myself at home! They are SO fun!! I’d throw some peanut butter cup ice cream in them and be set for life ;)

Cassie — July 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm

This is so fun Laurie! Nothing better than a drumstick!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 27, 2012 at 3:28 pm

BEST.THING.EVER.

i’m now going to be dreaming of these until i can hit up the store for more cones!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Drumsticks were my absolute favorite too! Actually, I still love them! But now I get to make my very own right at home, and there’s no need to skimp on the chocolate! Yes!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I just want to SWIM in that chocolate!

Kathryn — July 27, 2012 at 6:52 pm

These make me so ridiculously happy!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — July 27, 2012 at 9:04 pm

You put chocolate on the inside too?? NICE! Your girls look like they had a ton of fun making these cones with you. They look like they turned out great! Now I need to get ahold of some sugar cones and go to town!

Julie @ Table for Two — July 28, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I LOVE this idea!!! I used to eat Drumsticks a lot when I was young and I absolutely dug the chocolate covered cones. Sprinkles make everything prettier!! Loveee

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Ooh chocolate inside and out?! That’s way better than just being rimmed with chocolate.

Angelina — July 31, 2012 at 12:10 am

Just made these and they are perfect! Only one problem…they stuck violently to the glass dish I chilled them in. As I was trying to scrape them out I thought, “Boy, I wish she’d have suggested parchment paper!”. Then I READ the recipe and…you did. When all else fails, read the directions! ;) (BTW, hubby had the idea to set the dish in some warm water and within seconds they slid right out…yay!)
    P.S. I also made your broccoli soup tonight…yum! And I’ve decided that I must move in with you. Pls send your address ASAP. :)

DB-The Foodie Stuntman — July 31, 2012 at 12:54 am

Yep. Drumsticks are my favorite too.

Deborah — June 24, 2013 at 10:04 pm

How long do they keep and how do you store them?