Toasted Mediterranean Sandwich

Summertime has always been crazy for us.

This summer being no different because we *insert drum-roll* bought a new house and WE ARE MOVING! :) EEEK!  So in the next few weeks I’ll have to find time to blog, work, pack and move… oh yeah… then there is the girls baseball games four, yes FOUR nights a week! Lord-have-mercy how is this all going to be possible??  Sandwiches. Okay so it won’t be ALL sandwiches ALL the time… but I’ll need easy and filling dinners that don’t require too much of me and my precious time. Ya dig?

Sandwich numero uno was inspired from a Potbelly’s sandwich. I usually hit up Potbelly’s on my lunch break at work, and all though it’s super delicious, why the heck should I buy the sandwich when I could make it myself and with the money I save… buy a few  pairs of shoes??

It’s a win-win.

Here’s how I did it.

I butterflied three chicken breasts all the way through. Then I drizzled and brushed them lightly with olive oil.

You remember this right? You know the stuff I buy in bulk? It’s only the bomb-diggity chicken seasoning! What’s that? You don’t have any?? Well check out Penzy’s and order yourself some… you definitely won’t be sorry about it!

Season both sides with the Northwoods seasoning.

Give it a good grilling until cooked all the way through.

Let it cool and slice it into small strips. Then I toss them back onto the plate and mix them so the seasoning and juices coat all the sides of the chicken. I usually would have snapped a shot of that… whoopsy!

Here are the toppings aka “the goods”.

Slice your bread in half and slather it with a generous amount of hummus. Want a zippier hummus? Add some Franks red hot to and give a stir!

Top with a little sliced grilled chicken…

Then the quartered artichoke hearts, sliced roasted red peppers and a sprinkle of feta… Oh it gets even better!

Move the sandwich over to a sheet pan, drizzle with a little olive oil and slide this into a preheated 450 degree oven and toast for about 10 minutes.

Top with crisp romaine leaves, sliced cucumber and a little onion if that’s your thing. It’s most definitely my thing.

The rest of the fam built their own version of the sammie. Next time I’m thinking about adding the banana peppers and maybe some kalamata olives!

I did have to unhinge my jaw in order to stuff my face with this monstrous beast…

Butttt as you can clearly see… I could do it!

This one I wrapped up for lunch the next day. I recommend removing the lettuce, onions and cukes before reheating! I’m definitely a self proclaimed grilled cheese LOVAH… but I’m a little partial to the toasted kind too. I’d love them a little more if they didn’t tear the heck out of the roof of my mouth!

So here’s to summertime, moving and raw-roof-mouths! Thank you… now go make this sandwich!

Toasted Mediterranean Sandwich

2 Roasted Red Peppers, sliced

1 small package Feta Cheese

Hummus

Lettuce, torn

Cucumber, slice thin

Onion, sliced thin

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and your grill to medium-high.

Lightly brush both sides of the chicken halves with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning.

Grill the chicken halves for 6 minutes on one side. Flip and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes more or until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove and let cool. Once chicken is cool enough to handle slice into strips.

Slice sandwich rolls in half and spread with desired amount of hummus and top with chicken, artichokes and red peppers. Sprinkle with feta.

Place sandwiches on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Slide into your preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Remove and top with lettuce, cucumber and onions.

Top with the remaining roll and enjoy!

16 Responses to “Toasted Mediterranean Sandwich”

Stella B's Kitchen — June 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Congrats on the new house!! How exciting and your sandwich looks great!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 5th, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

Thanks Stella!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — June 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm

All the flavors up in your meiterranean sandwich look great!! The tender grilled chicken with the feta and peppers with toasty bun sound awesome. Congrats on the new home and good luck with the move!! :)

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife — June 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Yummmmmmm.. I was looking for something to make for dinner tonight and I’m super busy and short on time too…This might be the winner..*ding ding*
    Congrats on a new house! So exciting!!!!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 5th, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

Thanks Lauren!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

girl, good luck with the moving thing! i think about moving right now and have an instant panic attack…

also, i want this sandwich in my face ASAP. holy yum…

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Where are you moving!? CONGRATS! And this sammy has me all weepy.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I love artichokes so much…great way to use them in a sandwich!

Cassie — June 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Congrats on the new house! Moving is definitely crazy. This sandwich looks so amazing. Love the spices you used!

DB-The Foodie Stuntman — June 5, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Congratulations on the new digs! Yummy dish too.

Brenda — June 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm

looks delicious! the chicken looks really good. i love your new site it is a really good backdrop to your wonderful photos!!

Lea Ann @ Baking Memories Last — June 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This looks absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Jen @ Savory Simple — June 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I just went through home buying and moving. It’s no joke! Hang in there. There’s a Penzy’s down the road from me, I think I’ll check out that spice! Thanks for the recommendation.

Julie @ Table for Two — June 6, 2012 at 1:58 am

oh I remember you telling me about the new house buy!! congrats!!! seriously so much work but SOOO worth it in the end! love this chicken, it looks so good and so flavorful. i love the spices add on!

Missy Robinson — June 6, 2012 at 4:42 am

Yum! This look fabulous – I’m all over this. I’ve been making the “Artisan bread in 5 Mins a day” and I bet this would be awesome with some 5 min rolls. :)

We just moved, literally last weekend… Good luck, it’s alot of work and daunting on that side, but it’s great on this side. :) Congrats on the new house!

Sarah Reddeg — June 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I love your recipes! I also love your sense of humor…it remind me a lot of my friends! I first fell in love with your french bread recipe, which I love to make, especially since I can do so many things with it. Last night I made these sandwiches and baked a loaf of the french bread to use as the bread, and they were AMAZING! My husband and I had been outside with our kids all day, and it was so refreshing and filling to eat. Plus it didn’t take anytime at all to make, which as a busy Mom, I of course LOVE! Good luck with your move, and as a military spouse I feel your pain, but it can be so much fun starting from scratch in a new home. Keep up the awesome recipes! :)