Ginger Cashew Lettuce Wraps

Monday night I spied a coworker of mine in our lounge at work eating lettuce wraps for dinner. Great now I was craving them, I needed to have them in my life A-sap. So I circled, like a hawk on its prey, waiting to strike. She’s lucky ’cause I was about to swipe one off her plate when she wasn’t looking… but she never turned her head. Drat. The only other option  now was for me to make them for dinner… and so I did.

6980736559_191f197c23_z

If I had to put my finger on what is it about these lettuce wraps that I love, I’d have to say it’s a tie between the crunch of the lettuce, the gingery-crunchy-sauciness… but mostly because I get to eat with my fingers… oh yeah, and they’re sorta healthy (always a bonus!). So as I walked around the grocery store that morning, I picked up things that I recalled having in my wraps in the past that I enjoy. Three words: Ginger. Cashews. Water Chestnuts. {seriously though, can we rename those already? Chestnuts… really?}

So I really hope you don’t mind another Asian inspired meal. I’m like a pregnant woman craving pickles and ice cream over these things. Well any Asian- inspired-what-ever-you-wanna-call-it dish, I want it, need it… love it!! I just can’t get enough. I’ve tried to give it a rest… for like a week.. and what-do-ya-know here I am… ginger, tamari… lettuce WRAPS!? And no I’m not pregnant in real life, unless it gives me permission to eat 4 of these… then sure, yeeeeeah… uh-huh, yuppers I’m pregnant. No really I’m not. (husband you can calm yourself right on down)

I’ve been in love with a case of Ball jars. I put everything in them… leftover dried noodles, coconut milk, a certain lemon-garlic aioli and they are SUH-perb for making salad dressings and sauces in. And now I was gonna make this ginger sauce in a jar. So I minced up two good size cloves of garlic and 2-1/2 tablespoons of fresh ginger {which is about an inch-inch and a half of ginger} and threw them into one of my beloved Balls.

Then measure and pour in the 1/4 cup rice vinegar.

…the 1/4 cup Tamari. If you have light soy sauce you could use that as well.

Then comes the two tablespoons of honey. I love adding honey as a sweetener… especially with the ginger… and tamari. YUM!

…And the half cup of extra light olive oil.

And a generous pinch of red pepper flakes.

Screw on the lid…

And shake what yo mama gave ya. That’s right… I said it.

Prepping the veggies only take a minute. Drain the water chestnuts and dice them up somewhat small.

Grate up a quarter cup of carrots. I just love sneaking veggies in food!

Roughly chop up 1/3 cup of cashews. I had originally bought these for something totally different and threw them in at the last minute. So, SO glad I did.

Okay, so I cooked up a couple pounds of ground turkey, you could use ground beef or chicken too! However today it was on mega sale {5.99 for 3#’s!) so I scooped it up.

Drain off the fat and add in the water chestnuts, carrots and cashews. Give that a few stirs and let cook away at medium heat for 5 minutes.

Shake and pour the jar sauce over top.

This picture doesn’t really do this justice. First off, because ground turkey is ugly. But I promise you this is so flavorful! I give it a taste and usually add a couple more tablespoons of tamari, but you can see how you like it.

Traditionally iceberg lettuce is the wrapper of choice, but I like romaine… hey,a few extra vitamins never hurt anyone, right?

ANNNND the flavors in these beauts are rockin’… so easy.. so freakin delicious. They totally put the kibosh on my lettuce wrap craving. I even have leftovers to bring to work for MY lunch break. BOOM.

Ginger Cashew Lettuce Wraps

FOR THE WRAPS:

2 pounds Ground Turkey, {Ground Beef or Chicken may be used instead}

1 container of Sliced Water Chestnuts, diced small

1/4 cup grated Carrot

1/3 cup Cashews, roughly chopped

1-2 heads of Romaine Lettuce, ends trimmed

Cilantro, roughly chopped {for garnish, optional}

In a bowl or a good size jar, add in the minced ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, tamari, oil, honey, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Shake well to combine all ingredients.

Drizzle a little olive oil in a large pan and heat up over medium. Once hot add in the ground turkey and cook until done. Add in the carrot, water chestnuts and cashew, cook for 5-8 minutes. Pour in the jarred sauce and stir. Bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Finish off with a couple tablespoons of tamari {more or less to taste} and spoon ginger-cashew filling into prepared romaine leaves. Serve with a little of the chopped cilantro.

31 Responses to “Ginger Cashew Lettuce Wraps”

Blog is the New Black — March 15, 2012 at 11:35 am

I have been starring every recipe of yours lately, including this one! :)

Aarthi — March 15, 2012 at 11:40 am

They look delicious laurie..Now i crave for those

london bakes — March 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm

These sound amazing! I love all those delicious asian flavours and especially the fact that it's healthy! Yum!

Jes — March 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm

GREAT! Recipe. I am going to make this tonight!

Maria @ Orchard Bloom — March 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Ohh this looks so easy and delicious!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — March 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I love lettuce wraps for precisely the same reason as you, plus the delightful head tilt needed to cram the wrap into the mouth. There's something so irresistibly primal about it. If lettuce can actually be primal. . . .

Cassie/Bake Your Day — March 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

you know I'm on board with these flavors. Love this Laurie!

Julia @The Roasted Root — March 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love your Asian-inspired meal :) Satisfying, flavorful and hearty, yet light and lean. This is exactly what I want for dinner!

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) — March 15, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I am dying right now. Dying for love.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — March 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Water chestnuts are required in a lettuce wrap IMO :) So glad you included them! I, too, love my Ball jars – best dressing makers EVER! This recipe sounds delicious. I haven't made lettuce wraps in ages. Must change that!!!

Made in Sonoma — March 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I am also all about asian inspired meals. Although, I made one last night that was good at the time but now I can't stand the thought of it for lunch. Weird, huh?

These look excellent though!

Sprinkled with Flour — March 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I'm am SO making these! That dressing sounds heavenly, and I love me some lettuce wraps! :)

Geri Saucier — March 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for the great post for Ginger Cashew Lettuce Wraps. My family always orders Lettuce Wraps when we go out to PF Changs. I can now make them at home:) Can't wait to try them.

marthameetslucy — March 15, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I love lettuce wraps, but I never think to make them at home. They look great.

Grubarazzi — March 15, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Um. I'll be making these ASAP.

Mid Mod Tom — March 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I like using butter lettuce because it is nice and soft and folds easily. I also don't care for water chestnuts and whenever a recipe calls for it, I replace it with jicama. I am DEFINITELY making these for my next 'cocktails and a nosh' event. That dressing look heavenly and I LOVE ground turkey! Thank you!

Mid Mod Tom — March 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm

OH! And I have a 'case' of Bell jars too! My sister in law sent me a ton of her homemade pickles a couple of years ago and I use them for a lot of things. I even use them on Brunch Sunday as water glasses! I soaked them in very hot soapy water overnight and that got the risidual pickle juice smell out of them. Even the dishwasher didn't do it, but the old fashioned soak did!

Slice of Southern — March 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Love the lettuce wraps. I use turkey in mine too, but I love the addition of the cashews!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 16, 2012 at 3:23 am

everything about these sounds insanely delicious to me!

Donna — March 16, 2012 at 9:44 am

Wow…could I make this for tonight's Friday Lent-friendly dinner by subbing in shrimp or a certain fish?…Thank you in advance for any enlightenment!….and your fabulous recipe!

Dena 40 Fit In The Mitt — March 16, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Looks amazing. I love jars of all shapes and sizes, I'm always on the lookout for a new jar!

Erin — March 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Love lettuce wraps! These look amazing! The sounds sounds perfect, can't wait to try them!

Anonymous — March 16, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I have a favourite lettuce wrap too… I am def trying your s to taste the diference, but add a bit of coconut milk and natural peanut butter to your sauce and you will be amazed!!!!
    Thanks!
    Diane
    diane7@rogers.com

Anna @ hiddenponies — March 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I love lettuce wraps…definitely crave-inducing! Ugly ground turkey or not, I think they look delicious!

Betty — March 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to say I love your blog. The photos are so informative and the recipes look great. Keep up the good work!

Betty

Paola Ch. — April 7, 2012 at 3:01 am

wonderful recipe, I tried it with small pieces of chicken and it was just perfect.The only thing I would not suggest the substitution of the soy sauce.

Christy Wheeler — April 25, 2012 at 4:26 am

My family loved this! Your blog is my new favorite place to find new recipes! I did use the soy sauce and thought it was super tasty. I will definitely be making this again and again.

Etti S — November 7, 2012 at 11:54 pm

We just had this for dinner tonight,and it was amazing !!! We only made a couple minor changes (little more honey and sesame oil,little less ginger and soy).Added scallions instead of chestnuts(personal preference).When serving,we garnished with some of the components-carrot,scallion,cashew,and sauce,and the texture contrast was amazing that way.The various colors-especially the carrot-made it really eye catching as well.This will definitely be our go to recipe;thanks so much for sharing !!!

1. Pingback: Time to Cleanse! – Dr. Cindy's Blog