Beef Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce

This beef satay and peanut sauce is one of my favorite recipes on my blog. We serve it over jasmine rice, drizzled with a delicious peanut sauce and topped with green onions and cilantro!

Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce l SimplyScratch.com

It’s Monday, and boy do I have a case of the Monday’s. Big time. After having all these plans of a fun and food-filled weekend, it all was thrown for a loop at 11:17 Friday night when we lost power. The wind was crazy strong and it was only a matter of time or gusts before a gigantic tree came down and hit the power-lines square in the back of our yard. Awesome.

Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce l SimplyScratch.com

So instead of cooking, laundry and catching up on the weeks American Idol episodes, all four of us laid in bed playing on our cell phones. We played cards by candle light with the smell of kerosene in the air. What can I say? It was better than I’d planned. Really! It was cozy and quiet, never mind that hum of generators in the back yard of every home on our side of the street except ours. It actually was really fun.

So when the power was restored early Sunday I was a little sad but more than ready to cook up today’s post for you. Beef satay, a recipe I found on Food.com long ago and have been in love with ever since.

Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce l SimplyScratch.com

For the marinade, you’ll need just a few fridge and pantry ingredients– and flank steak.

One of my favorite cuts of beef to work with is flank steak.This is around a pound and a half. First, I cut in half lengthwise, then I place into a small rimmed sheet pan and pop it in the freezer for 20 to 25 minutes so it can freeze slightly which makes the slicing part much, much easier.

Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce l SimplyScratch.com

To make the beef satay marinade; mince up two cloves of garlic, slice up four green onions and about a quarter cup of fresh cilantro. Add those plus a quarter cup of dark brown sugar, a quarter cup of tamari and a quarter cup of oil to that. I’m using grapeseed but any light flavorless oil will work. Then add a tablespoon of Sriracha and give it a good whisk.

Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce l SimplyScratch.com

Add in the steak, toss to coat and let the steak marinate on the counter for 30 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, I make the spicy peanut dipping sauce.

Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce l SimplyScratch.com

In a medium bowl, combine a 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, 1/4 cup hot water, 1/3 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (low-sodium soy sauce may be substituted), 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce, 1/2 tablespoon sriracha, the juice from half a lime, 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, 1 clove of garlic grated or squeezed through a garlic press, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves and 2 thinly sliced green onions.

Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce l SimplyScratch.com

It’s quite list of ingredients but it’s SO good!

_DSC2621

Once the sauce is made and steak is marinated, I thread the meat on to 10 to 12 skewers before placing them on a wire rack that’s in a half sheet pan. Place the pan in a preheated 425° oven for 10 minutes; rotate the pan at the 5 minute mark. That’s it.

_DSC2633

Boom. Satay. Crispy and caramelized edges, tender, juicy and delicious pieces of steak.

_DSC3012

These skewers are only mildly spicy yet majorly delicious.

I serve these up either in lettuce wraps with a little rice and extra sriracha or I serve them in bowls atop rice with a drizzle or two of peanut sauce, chopped cilantro, green onions and, if it’s my bowl, chopped peanuts. YUM!

_DSC2874

Amazing flavor, crazy easy.

Enjoy! And if you give this Beef Satay recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

_DSC2911

Beef Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce

This is the best beef satay I've ever tasted! We serve it over jasmine rice, topped with the beef satay, drizzle it in peanut sauce and top with cilantro!

Yield: 10-12 skewers or about 4-6 skewers

Prep Time: about 35 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: about 45 minutes

FOR THE SKEWERS

1-1/2 pounds flank steak

1/4 cup low-sodium tamari (or low-sodium Soy Sauce)

1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or any light, flavorless oil you like)

1 tablespoon sriracha

1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed

1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

4 green onions, sliced thin

FOR THE SPICY PEANUT SAUCE

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1/4 cup hot water

1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)

1/2 tablespoon fish sauce

1/2 tablespoon sriracha

juice from half a lime (about 1 tablespoon)

1 tablespoon dark brown sugar

1 garlic clove, grated, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press or minced really fine

1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves

2 green onions, sliced thin
a pinch of kosher salt

adapted from Food.com

For the skewers: Slice the flank steak in half, place onto a small, rimmed sheet pan or dish and pop it into the freezer for 20-25 minutes. Once frozen, remove the flank steak from the freezer and slice into 1/4 inch strips.

Meanwhile, in a bowl measure the brown sugar, cilantro, garlic and green onions. Add in the tamari, oil and the Sriracha stir to combine. Add in the sliced steak and toss to coat and marinate for 25-30 minutes and no longer than 45 minutes.

While the beef is marinated make the peanut sauce.

Thread strips of steak onto the skewers. Brush any remaining marinade over top and (keeping the handles out of the marinade) let them sit for no longer than 45 minutes on the counter.

Meanwhile preheat your oven to 425°. Place the skewers onto a oven-safe wire rack that's set into a rimmed sheet pan. Place on the middle rack of your oven and cook for 10 minutes, rotate the pan halfway through. Serve immediately.

For the peanut sauce: Whisk peanut butter with the hot water. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Serve.

31 Responses to “Beef Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce”

Julie @ Table for Two — March 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm

yum!!! one of my favs to have at Thai restaurants! Too funny cause I was just at a thai restaurant last night and I was going to make a similar peanut sauce this week for chicken satays — ah, great minds think alike 😉 yours looks delicious!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Why yes they do! Thanks Julie!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — March 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I love satay but have never made it at home because I just wrote it off as too complicated. This is not! Plus, we eat flank steak once a week and I'm starting to run out of new ways to slap it on a plate. These will be the next incarnation, for sure.

Amy — March 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I think I will be trying this next week, looks so easy!

Julia @The Roasted Root — March 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I love it when the power goes out here (except for when I reaaally need to get stuff done, so I can understand your frustration) because I just pretend I'm back in the stone age. 🙂

The meat looks really tender! As a big meat eater, I am admiring how awesome the flank steak looks and of course your satay recipe looks flavorful and delicious. It's getting warmer by the day

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I did Julia! It was really fun quality family time which is priceless! 🙂

christie — March 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

hi there, i love your blog for the recipes, pictures, and your sense of humor, but i'm living in china and don't have an oven. there are so many great things you do that i simply can't! think you can throw in a few more no-bake recipes? i'd love and appreciate it so much!!

christie

Smitten ByFood — March 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

the satays look delicious. Well done..

Susan Lindquist — March 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Thai food at its easiet! Lovely picture of the finished skewers! Yum! Hope you got around to the laundry and tasks so you're not behind the game all week!

Aarthi — March 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm

yummy recipe..Perfectly made

Aarthi

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

i kind of want to drink that marinade. like, real bad 🙂

Cassie/Bake Your Day — March 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

You know how I feel about these flavors. Holy amazingness! Mouth is watering!

CrystalsCozyKitchen — March 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

These look delicious! I've been wanting to try Satay, but it keeps being pushed out for other things, you've now made me want to bring it to the front again.

RavieNomNoms — March 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

This looks amazing, I love the peanut dipping sauce. Yum nummy!

Sprinkled with Flour — March 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Oooh,I love all the flavors in this! I'll be trying this soon, yummy. 🙂

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — March 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I have a freezer full of beef, definitely going to try this one!!
    Glad you guys had a fun time with the power out! It can be nice to cut off technology some times!

Kiri W. — March 6, 2012 at 1:35 am

Looks very appetizing! Unfortunately peanut sauce is not for me, but my parents would love this to death. I'll have to send them this link!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — March 6, 2012 at 3:09 am

Yum!
    I'm definitely going to have to make this soon. I'm obsessed with these flavors 🙂
    Looks delicious as always Laurie!

Griffin's Grub — March 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Looks tasty. I'll have to try it on my grill.

Margaret Murphy Tripp — March 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Your photos are so vivid and beautifully done. They really bring the food to life. I've done this recipe with chicken, but never beef. It looks amazing. As for having fun with the power out, when the kids were small, we would have pretend "power out" nights, turn the TV off and play games by candlelight. Very special times! Have a great week.

alan — March 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

vert good recipe and the pictures were excellent what kind of camera did you use,have you ever tried to cook this on a charcoal grill?

Corina — March 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

The recipe looks amazing. I'm going to have to look out for some flank steak now so I can make it.

Lori (Richmond BC/Vancouver Martial Arts/Self-Defense Instructor) — March 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Looks delicious and healthy! I will have to try this for sure. As a martial arts practitioner, I'm always looking for healthy eating options. Thanks for sharing!

kita — March 20, 2012 at 1:28 am

Dang, I'm wishing for a few days without power at the moment (not really – that would suck – we don't have any generators in my neck of the woods and I would cry if I had to throw the contents of my fridge away but cards by candlelight sound awesome)! This satay looks freakin perfect. I haven't had beef satay in forever and this has me craving it hard core.

Koby Easterbrook — June 27, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot! Hastings Roofing ProTech, 211 New York St., Hastings, NE, 68901, US, 402-447-8493

Louisville AC Repair — July 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hello, I believe your web site may be having internet browser compatibility problems.

When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in Internet Explorer, it has
    some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Aside from that, excellent blog!

domestic cleaner — November 14, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Hi there to every one, for the reason that I am in fact eager of reading this blog’s post to be updated regularly.
    It includes good data.

Bake Up, Little Suzy — March 2, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I made this for dinner last night and it was just fantastic! I didn’t have fish sauce, but I otherwise followed the recipe as written. The combination of flavors in the steak marinade is just excellent. And the peanut sauce–I could dip my face in it! I served it with hoisin and orange roasted green beans and plain white rice. A perfect dinner!

1. Pingback: Sriracha Balsamic Vinaigrette