Beef Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce

It’s Monday. And boy do I have a case of the Monday’s. Big time. After having all these plans of a fun & food-filled weekend, it all was thrown for a loop at 11:17 Friday night when we lost power. The wind was crazy strong and it was only a matter of time or gusts before a gigantic tree came down and hit the power-lines square in the back of our yard. Awesome.

6954285041_5a5f186431_z

So instead of cooking, laundry and catching up on the weeks American Idol episodes, all four of us laid in bed playing Hanging With Friends on our cell phones, played cards by candle light with the smell of kerosene in the air. What can I say? It was better than I’d planned. Really! It was cozy and quiet, never mind that hum of generators in the back yard of every home on our side of the street, no… it was actually really, reeeeally fun.

So when the power was restored early Sunday I was a little sad but more than ready to cook up today’s post for you. Beef satay, a recipe I found on Food.com… and have been in love with ever since.

You’ll need just a few pantry ingredients… and flank steak. One of my favorite cuts of beef to work with.

This is around a pound and a half. Really I don’t remember exactly how much because the wrapper is buried deep in the garbage, but go with it k?

Cut in half lengthwise.

Place into a dish and pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes so it can freeze slightly which makes the slicing part much, much easier.

While the flank steak is partially freezing, mince up two cloves of garlic.

Also, slice up four green onions…

And about a quarter cup of fresh cilantro.

Add all those plus a quarter cup of dark brown sugar into yet another dish.

Measure out a quarter cup of tamari or low sodium soy sauce.

And a quarter cup of oil to that. I’m using grapeseed but any light flavorless oil will work too.

Add a tablespoon of Sriracha, two if you like living on the wild side.

And give it a good stir-zy.

Pour all that goodness over top.

Mix until everything is gel’n.

Okay, by the time you do all that it should be right about when the flank steak will be slightly frozen and ready for slicing.

Slice each half of flank into quarter inch slices… eyeball it.

Thread 3-4 slices onto skewers. Traditionally bamboo or if you can find it the midrib of a coconut palm {yeah good luck} are used, but when I pulled out my bamboo skewers out I only had 6 and well you’ll need about 12 or so. However if you ARE using the bamboo kind, wrap the exposed part in foil so they don’t catch on fire in the oven. Beef satay = good. House fire = bad.

Toss a few at a time, spooning the marinade over top to get it in all the nooks and crannies.

I had to place mine in an even larger baking dish so they all could fit and then I poured the remaining marinade over top. Let them marinate on the counter for 45 minutes {no longer than}

For a quick sec, I thought about eating these right then and there, they smelled {and looked} that good… if only.

I spread the meat out on the skewers before placing them on a wire rack that’s in a half sheet pan. Place the pan in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes; rotate the pan at the 5 minute mark. That’s it.

Boom. Satay.

These skewers are spicy without needing a glass of milk on stand-by, just enough to make your nose start to run yet my picky seven-year-old could handle. I didn’t have enough sun-light to do the step-by-step for the peanut dip, but basically you just mix all the ingredients together and you’ve got yourself a perfect dip for these beef skewers.

Amazing flavor, crazy easy.

Beef Satay with a Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce

Juice from half a Lime

1 tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar

1 Garlic Clove, pressed through a garlic press or minced really fine

1 tablespoon torn Cilantro Leaves

2 Green Onions, sliced thin

adapted from Food.com

For the skewers: Slice the flank steak in half, place into a freezer safe dish and pop it into the freezer for 30 minutes.

In a baking dish place the brown sugar, cilantro, garlic and green onions.

Measure and add tamari, oil and Sriracha in a liquid measuring cup, stir to combine. Pour this in the dish with garlic/cilantro and stir.

Remove the flank steak from the freezer and slice into 1/4 inch strips. Thread 3-4 strips of steak per skewer. Toss the skewers in the marinade and then place them into a larger shallow dish. Pour any remaining marinade over top and {keeping the handles out of the marinade} let them sit for no longer than 45 minutes on the counter.

Meanwhile preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Spread the steak out on the skewers and arrange them on a wire rack that's resting in a sheet pan. Place in the oven for 10 minutes, rotate the pan when five minutes have passed. Serve immediately.

For the peanut sauce: Whisk peanut butter with the hot water. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Serve.

30 Responses to “Beef Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce”

Julie @ Table for Two — March 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm

yum!!! one of my favs to have at Thai restaurants! Too funny cause I was just at a thai restaurant last night and I was going to make a similar peanut sauce this week for chicken satays — ah, great minds think alike ;) yours looks delicious!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Why yes they do! Thanks Julie!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — March 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I love satay but have never made it at home because I just wrote it off as too complicated. This is not! Plus, we eat flank steak once a week and I'm starting to run out of new ways to slap it on a plate. These will be the next incarnation, for sure.

Amy — March 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I think I will be trying this next week, looks so easy!

Julia @The Roasted Root — March 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I love it when the power goes out here (except for when I reaaally need to get stuff done, so I can understand your frustration) because I just pretend I'm back in the stone age. :)

The meat looks really tender! As a big meat eater, I am admiring how awesome the flank steak looks and of course your satay recipe looks flavorful and delicious. It's getting warmer by the day

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I did Julia! It was really fun quality family time which is priceless! :)

christie — March 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

hi there, i love your blog for the recipes, pictures, and your sense of humor, but i'm living in china and don't have an oven. there are so many great things you do that i simply can't! think you can throw in a few more no-bake recipes? i'd love and appreciate it so much!!

christie

Smitten ByFood — March 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

the satays look delicious. Well done..

Susan Lindquist — March 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Thai food at its easiet! Lovely picture of the finished skewers! Yum! Hope you got around to the laundry and tasks so you're not behind the game all week!

Aarthi — March 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm

yummy recipe..Perfectly made

Aarthi

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

i kind of want to drink that marinade. like, real bad :)

Cassie/Bake Your Day — March 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

You know how I feel about these flavors. Holy amazingness! Mouth is watering!

CrystalsCozyKitchen — March 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

These look delicious! I've been wanting to try Satay, but it keeps being pushed out for other things, you've now made me want to bring it to the front again.

RavieNomNoms — March 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

This looks amazing, I love the peanut dipping sauce. Yum nummy!

Sprinkled with Flour — March 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Oooh,I love all the flavors in this! I'll be trying this soon, yummy. :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — March 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I have a freezer full of beef, definitely going to try this one!!
    Glad you guys had a fun time with the power out! It can be nice to cut off technology some times!

Kiri W. — March 6, 2012 at 1:35 am

Looks very appetizing! Unfortunately peanut sauce is not for me, but my parents would love this to death. I'll have to send them this link!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — March 6, 2012 at 3:09 am

Yum!
    I'm definitely going to have to make this soon. I'm obsessed with these flavors :)
    Looks delicious as always Laurie!

Griffin's Grub — March 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Looks tasty. I'll have to try it on my grill.

Margaret Murphy Tripp — March 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Your photos are so vivid and beautifully done. They really bring the food to life. I've done this recipe with chicken, but never beef. It looks amazing. As for having fun with the power out, when the kids were small, we would have pretend "power out" nights, turn the TV off and play games by candlelight. Very special times! Have a great week.

alan — March 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

vert good recipe and the pictures were excellent what kind of camera did you use,have you ever tried to cook this on a charcoal grill?

Corina — March 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

The recipe looks amazing. I'm going to have to look out for some flank steak now so I can make it.

Lori (Richmond BC/Vancouver Martial Arts/Self-Defense Instructor) — March 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Looks delicious and healthy! I will have to try this for sure. As a martial arts practitioner, I'm always looking for healthy eating options. Thanks for sharing!

kita — March 20, 2012 at 1:28 am

Dang, I'm wishing for a few days without power at the moment (not really – that would suck – we don't have any generators in my neck of the woods and I would cry if I had to throw the contents of my fridge away but cards by candlelight sound awesome)! This satay looks freakin perfect. I haven't had beef satay in forever and this has me craving it hard core.

Koby Easterbrook — June 27, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot! Hastings Roofing ProTech, 211 New York St., Hastings, NE, 68901, US, 402-447-8493

Louisville AC Repair — July 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hello, I believe your web site may be having internet browser compatibility problems.

When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in Internet Explorer, it has
    some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Aside from that, excellent blog!

domestic cleaner — November 14, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Hi there to every one, for the reason that I am in fact eager of reading this blog’s post to be updated regularly.
    It includes good data.

Bake Up, Little Suzy — March 2, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I made this for dinner last night and it was just fantastic! I didn’t have fish sauce, but I otherwise followed the recipe as written. The combination of flavors in the steak marinade is just excellent. And the peanut sauce–I could dip my face in it! I served it with hoisin and orange roasted green beans and plain white rice. A perfect dinner!

1. Pingback: Sriracha Balsamic Vinaigrette