Marshmallow Cereal Bars

These marshmallow cereal bars are a fun snack, breakfast on the go and great for lunch boxes. Use your favorite cereal and enjoy!

Cheerios remind me of tea parties, because tea parties when I was a kid consisted of cheerios and water. Rather extravagant wouldn’t you agree? Back-in-the-daaay there was only one kind of cheerio and it came in a giant yellow box. It finally dawned on me while in the cereal section  that there are a TON of different kinds of cheerios now. I mean there’s apple-cinnamon, fruity, multi-grain and CHOCOLATE! I don’t mean to sound whiny *ahem General Mills* but why couldn’t you have sported these flavors when I was a kid?

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Sugar cereals were totally banned from my childhood pantry… but I bet ya fifty bucks that if it had Cheerios on the front my Mom would have bought it! The fruity Cheerios would’ve easily replaced the leaves-your-breath-smelling-like-stinky-feet yellow box for sure. Just sayin.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Okay. Back to the cereal bars. These are like Rice Krispies Treats if you think about it. But jazzed up a bit.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

I’m using the multi-grain with some oaty clusters… but as I said before, the fruity Cheerios would be SOOO rock solid in this recipe, maybe just minus the almonds and replace with… sprinkles!!

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Add a quarter cup of almond into the cereal and toss together with you impeccably clean fingers.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Line a 13×9 pan with some parchment paper to keep the bars from sticking to the pan. No sprays needed, promise.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Melt butter in a large pot. I twirled the pot to get the butter up along the sides so the marshmallow would stick less.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Add in the 6 ounces of mini-marshmallows. The regular size would work but it will take a lot longer to get those suckers to melt… and who has time for THAT?

Keep on stirring…

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

When the marshmallows are just about completely melted add in the vanilla.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

If there are a few lumps it’s really no bigs. Who would cry over a lump of marshmallow in their cereal bar? Uhhhh not this girl.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Dump in the cereal and almonds.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Mix it all around until the melty-marshmallow goodness is through-out.

Plop it into the 13×9…

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

I quickly greased up my fingertips with some coconut oil and pressed the cereal mound into the pan. It takes all of two seconds.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

Now just sit and stare at it while it cools. Painful… yes. But totally worth it. When I’m making Rice Krispies Treats… I never EVER get it to this stage of the game. We eat it straight out of the pan while still warm.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

The very moment they are cooled; remove and slice into twenty or so bars. Orrrrr don’t cut it at all… just eat it as one giant bar! How fun is that?

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

This is my attempt and some pretty wrappers for the bars. Fail? Maybe. Thank YOU brown paper bags that I’ve had for 5 years and never seem to run out of.

Marshmallow Cereal Bars l

The rest went into a storage container. A perfect afternoon snack or as a grown-up breakfast, now if there’s one perk to being a grown up then it’s being able to have marshmallow cereal bars for breakfast!

Enjoy! And if you give these Marshmallow Cereal Bars a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Marshmallowy Cereal Bars

Yield: makes 20 bars

11 ounces Cheerios {I used multi-grain with oat clusters}

6 ounces Mini-Marshmallows

1/4 cup Sliced Almonds

2 tablespoons Salted Butter

1/2 teaspoon Vanilla

Combine the cereal with the almonds and set aside.

In a large pot melt the butter. Add in the mini-marshmallow and stir until almost completely melted. Add in the vanilla and stir. Next add in the cereal/almond mixture and fold the cereal in with the marshmallow.

Dump the cereal mixture into a parchment lined 13x9 pan. With lightly oiled finger tips, press the cereal into the pan. Let the cereal cool for 20-30 minutes. Remove and with a sharp knife, cut the cereal into 20 equal sized bars. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.

31 Responses to “Marshmallow Cereal Bars”

Blog is the New Black — February 17, 2012 at 12:37 pm

THese totally remind me of college! I used to get the Cheerios cereal bars as dessert all the time. Might have to recreate these! 🙂

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

seriously, brown bags last FOR-E-VER! and these? these sound amazing!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm

WHY have I never thought to do this?? I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to make rice krispy bars, look in the pantry and find the only thing I'm missing is the actual rice cereal (but there's always that big yellow Cheerios box), so I sit home sulking. I am making these ASAP!

Sprinkled with Flour — February 17, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I have a box of cheerios that no-one is eating. I was just thinking I need to make some bars out of them, these look great!

Aarthi — February 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

This looks awesome and yummy

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver — February 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm

emily — February 17, 2012 at 3:22 pm

fabulous idea!! i've been making fruity pebbles mallow treats recently (very very sweet) but looking for a change. these sound delicious!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Mmmm love this! I always have cheerios on hand!

RavieNomNoms — February 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm

These look amazing!! I love that you use cheerios!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 17, 2012 at 4:37 pm

they look awesome…I love making cereal bars, homemade bars, pans of bars using cereal, I love all the possibilities and these are fab.

Tom — February 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Thak you for this! I may well be 40-something but my favorite Marshmallow Cereal Treat is Lucky Charms and make them extra chewy by using 7 cups of cereal to 6 cups mini marshmallows

Cassie/Bake Your Day — February 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Oooo, these are so fun. But I'd eat the whole pan!

Natalie — February 17, 2012 at 8:51 pm

and now my stomach is growling! toss marshmallows with just about anything and I'm happy! 🙂

Steph — February 17, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This is such a great change up from your normal rice krispie treats!I thinkI'd prefer the crunch to the cherrios better too!

Dawnye7 — February 18, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Excellent treat. I've already shared this recipe with my family and friends this morning.

Valerie Hartman — February 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Just found your blog, I think through Life, Cultivated if memory from last week is still correct. Love your photography, sense of humor and practical approach to simplicity.

I am not ready to give up my Oreo's and Cheez-It's forever, but I can't wait to make my first homemade cracker, french dip sandwich, and now – cheerios treats.

Your blog presents great

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — February 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Yummy! I made something similar recently with the Dulce De Leche Cheerios. They were so good, pics never got taken! I love the almonds you added!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — February 19, 2012 at 3:34 am

Lots of healthy stuff! Like almonds. Totally negates the marshmallow. 🙂 Love these bars!

Torviewtoronto — February 19, 2012 at 4:07 am

lovely snack looks wonderful

Anna @ hiddenponies — February 19, 2012 at 5:21 am

Yum! And am I totally that mom who gives my daughter cheerios at a tea party…although we did share Smarties the other day 🙂 Balance is what I'm all about 🙂

Maria @ Orchard Bloom — February 19, 2012 at 5:50 am

putting sliced almonds in these is such a great idea. Love it!

Anonymous — February 19, 2012 at 10:33 am

wow, your blog is great – i love to follow photos when reading recipies:)

Kiri W. — February 20, 2012 at 12:00 am

Mmmm, what a glorious treat! 🙂 I love rice krispie treats so I am sure I would adore these!

danielle — February 20, 2012 at 12:25 am

still love your blog but i dislike the reader change – i.e. only preview, no more full posts. clearly, you can do what you want. i just wanted to give you feedback that i miss the full posts in the reader! but i'll eventually get over it if you never change it back. =)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 20, 2012 at 2:42 am

Hi Danielle~ I had to switch it in order for the feed to actually be delivered. I was getting messages that my feed wasn't getting sent to inboxes because it was too large! Until I can figure out a way to get it delivered, I'll have to keep it that way! SORRY!! But thanks for understanding!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 20, 2012 at 3:01 am

I love love love this idea!!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — February 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm

So cute Laurie! I love the ones from the store … I've never even thought about making them on my own!

Keeley — February 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Oh my goodness! I love Rice Krispies Treats, so this is right up my alley!

I love your all from scratch approach to cooking. I try to cook the same way at my house. (Of course, notice I said "try". 🙂

Julie — January 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I just made these! I ended up using a full 10 oz. bag of mini marshmallows and about 7 cups of cereal. I didn’t have any sliced almonds, but did add in a big blop (maybe 1/3 cup) of peanut butter instead of the vanilla. I bet crunchy peanut butter would be fabulous! Rather than dirty a pan on the stove, you can put the butter and marshmallows in a big bowl in the microwave for 90 seconds. Works perfectly every time 🙂

• simplyscratch replied: — January 27th, 2013 @ 12:27 am

Ooooh peanut butter… NICE!!

1. Pingback: Last Day « Oily Geologist