Mississippi Mud Brownies

I am totally smitten with these Mississippi Mud Brownies. A moist brownie layered with chocolate chips, topped with melted crunchy peanut butter, marshmallows, sprinkled with toasted pecans and lacquered with a thin layer of frosting. You want them don’t you?

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com

Instantly, when my eyes fell upon TK member Taylor’s (greensnchocolate) recipe forMississippi Mud Brownies, I just knew I had to make them. I desperately felt the need to sink my teeth into these ooey-gooey sinful brownies! And these Mississippi Mud Brownies didn’t disappoint.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
These brownies require a few basic pantry ingredients, and they take less than 30 minutes to prepare! I chopped the toasted pecans ahead of time to quicken the process a bit.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Start off by measuring the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Add them into a small bowl.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Stir to combine and set aside.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Cream the stick of butter along with a cup of sugar until light and fluffy.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Next add in the vanilla extract.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Add one egg at a time and blend well after each addition until both are incorporated.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Add the dry ingredients in with the sugar/butter mixture and stir to combine.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Spread the brownie mixture into the bottom of a lined 8×8 square pan.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pop into a 350ºF oven for about 20-22 minutes.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Once the brownies have baked, here comes the really fun part.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Start by mixing oil in with some warmed peanut butter.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Then evenly pour the peanut butter all over the warm brownies.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Sprinkle 2 cups of marshmallows over the peanut butter. Bake in the oven for 3 minutes, just to puff up the marshmallows.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Top with the chopped toasted pecans and set aside to cool. Now it’s time to make the frosting!

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
In a small pan, melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Next add in the cocoa. Stir and gradually pour in the milk. Heat the chocolate mixture until just about boiling, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract. You could also add the vanilla to the frosting once it’s been mixed.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
In a mixing bowl that contains 2 cups powdered sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt, pour in the warm chocolate mixture while the mixer is on low speed.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Scraping down the sides as you go, mix until the powdered sugar is absorbed into the chocolate. If the frosting looks too thick, add a tablespoon or two of milk to thin it out.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
Pour over the pecans and marshmallows.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
After I poured the icing over top, I realized my frosting must have cooled down too much because the icing didn’t melt into the crevices of the pecans and marshmallow. So I just spread the frosting out evenly. Once cooled enough, I placed the pan into the fridge for an hour or two.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
It wasn’t until I removed the Mississippi Mud Brownies and pulled back the parchment paper did I realize what I was in for. These bars contain everything that I love in life. And it was almost too pretty to eat.

Almost.

Mississippi Mud Brownies l SimplyScratch.com
This is exactly what one needs to get over the cold weather and post holiday blues. Just be sure to pour yourself a giant glass of milk, because these brownies are rich and will definitely make you thirsty.

These Mississippi Mud Brownies were so much fun to make and definitely the most decadent brownie I have ever had the pleasure to taste!

Stop by Tasty Kitchen for the printable recipe!

Enjoy! And if you give these Mississippi Mud Brownies a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

34 Responses to “Mississippi Mud Brownies”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm

OMG.

danielle — January 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I found you months ago via tasty kitchen. you are by far my favorite food blog (and blogger). I've tried at least a dozen of your recipes from desserts to main dishes, and each has been fantastic. you are my go-to site for new recipes. keep the yumminess coming! thanks for sharing your creativity and simplicity (as to the ingredients) in the kitchen!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Wow Danielle! Thank you so much, that really means a lot to me! You better believe that I'll keep the yumminess coming ;)!

Thanks again for your awesome comment, you just made my day!:)

Blog is the New Black — January 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I knew I liked you! 😉

Marina {Yummy Mummy) — January 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I have never seen a more enticing brownie!

Aarthi — January 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm

wow..yummy brownies

Aarthi

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm

AMAZING…off to check the recipe.

Jennifurla — January 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm

dang

CulinaryCache — January 18, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I'm at a loss for words at how amazing these look!

Maia — January 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I've been on a brownie kick lately too! (in fact, just posted about them myself – double orange dark chocolate ones!)

These sound great – I love the addition of marshmallows… very s'more like, and nice to add a softer texture to the mix!

Lauren's Latest — January 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I just died.

Jenn's ice cream franchise information — January 19, 2012 at 8:07 am

Need to walk around and burn those calories of eating brownies.

Mary — January 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm

These really look delicious. My family would devour them and they'd be gone before the day was out. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — January 19, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Drooling. I am a sucker for brownies. These look amazing.

Mary — January 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Those look amazing! On my way to check out the recipe now…

Culinary Collage — January 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm

These look over the top amazing!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — January 20, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Oooooooh yes. I need to make these TONIGHT.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 20, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Ouch. Just ouch. But, I would love to get these brownies stuck in my teeth.

Choc Chip Uru — January 21, 2012 at 7:13 pm

My sweet tooth is tingling – always a good sign right 😀
    Look absolutely delicious!
    Glad to have found your blog 🙂

Isabelle @ Crumb — January 21, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Pretty sure I just gained 5 lbs just from looking at that side shot of the brownie layers. I'm sure I'd probably gain 10 lbs more if I actually made these, but it would be totally worth it. 🙂

Emily — January 22, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I always thought Mississippi Mud treats had coffee in them. Regardless, these brownies look fantastic. I wish I had one right now!

Nicole — January 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I've always wanted to try a mississippi mud brownie, because I've tried the pie version and loved it. Your brownies look absolutely incredible… I must have stared at that picture of the peanut butter being poured on them for a whole 2 minutes straight.

Anonymous — January 23, 2012 at 2:50 am

These look SO good, but I missed the amount of ingredients for the actual brownies. Help?!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 23, 2012 at 5:16 am

Anonymous~ at the bottom of the post is a link to the recipe at Tasty Kitchen 🙂

HMV2309 — January 23, 2012 at 5:40 am

I made a gluten free version of these for my mom (she has an allergy) and they were amazing! SOMEHOW I didn't have chocolate chips, so I used peanut butter chips and we were practically licking the pan afterward. 😀

Kiri W. — January 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Oh wow, this looks incredible! Soooo tempting! I don't think I'd include the marshmallows, just for personal taste, but other than that? Oooh, do I want one!

BeetleBuggy — January 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

OMG! What layers of sheer yumminess! Love it!

http://thenovicehousewife.wordpress.com — January 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm

A jar of peanut butter is the only thing that is keeping me away from making these treats. I think I need to make a trip to the grocery store for that peanut butter. These look delish!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I just died and went to happy piggy heaven. MY GOSH. These are perfect!!

Anonymous — January 30, 2012 at 1:38 am

I just made these Mississippi Mud brownies for a friend's southern baby shower (who's from Mississippi). They were such a hit!! VERY rich and sweet, but perfect for a special occasion. Everyone asked for the recipe, and I passed along the link to your blog.

kita — February 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Damn if these don't look addictive!

Medeja — February 6, 2012 at 8:58 am

It looks gorgeous! And very rich in taste.

Chanel — June 12, 2014 at 8:15 am

I just made these for the second time. The first time my frosting was waaaay too runny because I ran out of powdered sugar…….. and substituted regular sugar for the remainder. I also don’t own an 8×8 square baking pan. SO, this time, I doubled the recipe and used a larger pan. But my frosting was still not anywhere near looking like yours…. Lol. However, it was thicker than the first time, so I guess that’s a win? They are cooling in the fridge now. Yum Yum Yum!

Mea Mia — July 5, 2016 at 12:17 pm

where are the recipe measurements?