Blood Orange Honey Sorbet

This Blood Orange Honey Sorbet is the prettiest pink I ever did see.  And it’s only 3 ingredients; fresh squeezed blood oranges, honey and water. Sweet and citrusy!

I’ve been prowling the citrus stands at my grocery store like a serial-stalker just waiting for blood oranges to arrive. Well, they FINALLY did last week. At five for two dollars, I quickly nabbed ten and walked away all smiles with a kick in my step. I knew exactly what I was going to make with them. Sorbet, sherbert or whatever you wanna call it.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com

I’ve had my Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment for almost a whole year now and this is my very first “ice cream” recipe that I’ve made using the thing. Seriously… what was my problem? It’s soooo darn easy!

Ps. What a horrible name for a fruit.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
It only takes 3 ingredients to make sorbet. THREE! And this is how it all went down.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
You’ll know it’s a blood orange by the dark speckling on the skin. That and when you cut into it is a glorious ruby red color. LOVE THESE!!

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Grab a microplane and zest a tablespoon and a half of the zest.

Watch your knuckles.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
In a small sauce pan add 1-1/2 cups of water.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Measure a half cup of honey… or regular sugar and add that to the pan.

Add the zest.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Stir it all together over high heat.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Bring to a boil and remove immediately to let the cooling begin.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Slice the top and bottom off of each orange.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Slice around the fruit to remove most of the rind and pith.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
I’m totally obsessed with the beautiful color of these fruits. If there was a paint color called “Blood Orange” I’d pain my entire kitchen with it.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Slice between the white membranes to reveal the orange segments or supreme. Now THAT’S a great word.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Squeeze to get all the juice out and into the bowl below.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Discard all the peels… or dump a few down the garbage disposal to deodorize that sucker.

Look at those gems!

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Add them to the bowl of your food processor.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Again… I’m so totally obsessed!!

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Process for 30 seconds or until the oranges are liquefied.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Add the juice with the simple syrup and stir to combine.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Pour all of that into a container with a lid and refrigerate for 5-6 hours or overnight.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
It’s the prettiest color!

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
To an ice cream maker {If using the Kitchen Aid attachment, the bowl should be frozen for at least 15 hours} turn the mixer on stir and pour in the blood orange & honey base.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Like magic… it starts to freeze.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
Slap a lid on it and pop it in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet l SimplyScratch.com
I ate this bowl of sorbet verrrry slowly. Savoring the texture and flavor of the orange and honey. All the hours I waited patiently for just one little bowl of sorbet, turned out to be well worth the wait. And guilt free mind you.

Enjoy! And if you give this Blood Orange Honey Sorbet recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Blood Orange Honey Sorbet

Yield: makes about 1 quart

10 Blood Oranges

1-1/2 cup Water

1/2 cup Honey {or Regular Sugar}

Finely grate a tablespoon and a half of zest from a few blood oranges. Combine the water, zest and honey in a small sauce pan and heat until boiling, stirring often. Remove off the heat and set aside.

Cut all of the rind and white pith from the oranges. Work over a bowl as you slice between the membranes to remove orange segments, catching any and all juices in the bowl below. Transfer all of the orange segments and juice to a food processor and blend for about thirty seconds. Measure two and a half cups of the juice and mix it with the honey syrup. Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight, so the flavors blend.

In an ice cream maker, follow the instructions provided and then transfer to a freezer-safe container. Place in your freezer over night until frozen.

29 Responses to “Blood Orange Honey Sorbet”

Amanda @ Thinly Sliced Cucumber — January 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Oh yumm! This looks amazing. Every year I impatiently wait for the blood oranges to show up in the store. And every year I am disappointed when they're gone. I've never made sorbet before but you make it look very easy. Definitely on my list of things to try.

Amy — January 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I love anything blood orange, this looks delicious!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 25, 2012 at 1:17 pm

3 ingredients! AND it's beautiful – I love it!

Maria — January 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I need to find me some blood oranges! Gorgeous sorbet!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm

the COLOR is so pretty! i almost feel like i'm on vacation when i look at this 🙂

Mrsblocko — January 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I just picked up the same deal at Mejier yesterday. My daughter freaked out at the color…she thought they looked black!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 25, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Mmm pure deliciousness!

Amanda — January 25, 2012 at 2:12 pm

The color alone is enough reason to make this, and I also love sorbet!

I finally picked up some kumquats over the weekend. Blood oranges are next on my list!

a spoonful of yumm — January 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm

the color is gorgeous ! looks very refreshing

Neo-Homesteading — January 25, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Looks so, so good! Sounds very light and refreshing. The color is beautiful too. I have never seen blood oranges. I found blood orange juice once but it was expensive.

Aarthi — January 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm

wow..so good for this summer

Aarthi

Gursahiba @ Exquisite Niche — January 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm

OMG! This looks absolutely delicious!! Love your blog!! Adding you to my blogroll!!

Kiri W. — January 25, 2012 at 6:27 pm

This looks stunning! The color is perfect, and I can only imagine the perfect combination of citrus and honey 🙂

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 25, 2012 at 7:18 pm

simply lovely!! blood oranges are really in right now, aren't they?

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny — January 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Your photos are AMAZING!!! I must learn how you do it! 🙂

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 25, 2012 at 9:11 pm

this is GORGEOUS.

The Cyclist's Wife — January 25, 2012 at 11:47 pm

That looks amazing!

Evan Thomas — January 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm

This sounds delicious! I haven't used my ice cream maker enough lately.

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar — January 26, 2012 at 1:09 am

Oh my; this sounds amazing!! I love blood oranges and citrus goes so well with honey

marthameetslucy — January 26, 2012 at 1:39 am

I love blood oranges, especially when they have the dark red on the outside too. I don't like when blood oranges masquerade as regular oranges. My ice cream bowl is ready to go, not I just need the oranges.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — January 26, 2012 at 2:13 am

good grief, your pictures are fantastic. I love just scrolling through and looking at them. 🙂

Kim Bee — January 26, 2012 at 6:26 am

Loud applause and whistling!

RavieNomNoms — January 26, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Wow, that color! That is awesome! I really really like this, thank you for sharing this!

manga mboa — January 26, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Just discovered your blog and i am really impress by your skills; As a new member i will definitively follow you to learn to make good and elaborated receipe; you are my new inspiration; Keep up a good work;

CulinaryCache — January 26, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Looks delicious! Must be something in the air with blood oranges, I found some beauties and will be using them in a recipe this weekend. Great post!

CouponClippingCook — January 27, 2012 at 6:09 am

Wow, I can only imagine how good this must have tasted. Such a pretty color too. Just love your pics!

Tiffany — January 27, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Blood oranges make me smile 😀 You are so right… they ARE the prettiest color!

Terri @ that's some good cookin' — January 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm

My husband spent a lot of time in Sweden when he was growing up. He would tell me about blood oranges and I just couldn't imagine them. When they finally showed up in our local grocery stores I was so excited to try them. They are delicious, despite the disturbing name. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It looks wonderful and I can hardly wait to try it!

1. Pingback: Lunatic Loves These Links | Cravings of a Lunatic